Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 131819202122232425262728 LastLast
    Hi...

I've got everything working with the USB wireless modem setup using Scott's software. I'm on a Mac running 10.2.3. My question may be answered in one of these 4000000 posts... but I've been reading and reading and haven't had any luck finding it...

Is there any way that anyone knows to use the IR port on my powerbook with my Treo using the WModem program to connect out to the Internet?

I can get the two devices talking to each to each other using any number of modem scripts on the mac, but they always fail to negotiate a good PPP connection on the other end.

Anyone had any success at this?

Thanks!
    Originally posted by Dirt
    Hi...

I've got everything working with the USB wireless modem setup using Scott's software. I'm on a Mac running 10.2.3. My question may be answered in one of these 4000000 posts... but I've been reading and reading and haven't had any luck finding it...

Is there any way that anyone knows to use the IR port on my powerbook with my Treo using the WModem program to connect out to the Internet?

I can get the two devices talking to each to each other using any number of modem scripts on the mac, but they always fail to negotiate a good PPP connection on the other end.

Anyone had any success at this?

Thanks!
    I personally don't have any experience with this (my PowerBook doesn't have IR); however, I would strongly suggest using USB as it is more reliable and is easier to use. If you get a short USB sync and charge cable, like the one from LandWare or others, it is quite convenient.
    Woo! High Speed!

I just got my serial cable, though I'd been playing with it via infrared, and bandwidthplace.com rates me at 87kbit/sec! :O

VERY surprised!

Registration will be on its way Wonderful utility, WirelessModem.

- Mike
    I used this extensively (Treo 300 & PowerBook G4 400mhz) for the first time over the weekend while I was travelling. I was quite pleaed with what I could do. A couple of notes:

Sprint seemed to silently drop the connection after 20 minutes. Trying to disconnect from the powerbook took a long time, I assume due to the fact it thought it was still connected but didn't get any response so it had to wait for a timeout. I'd just cycle Wireless Modem on and off on the Treo and reconnect with no problem for another 20 minute session.

I also learned not to disconnect the treo without properly turning things off in the right order - had a little kernal panic
    another happy treo <b>600</b> user.
    Originally posted by alex_t_king
    I used this extensively (Treo 300 & PowerBook G4 400mhz) for the first time over the weekend while I was travelling. I was quite pleaed with what I could do. A couple of notes:

Sprint seemed to silently drop the connection after 20 minutes. Trying to disconnect from the powerbook took a long time, I assume due to the fact it thought it was still connected but didn't get any response so it had to wait for a timeout. I'd just cycle Wireless Modem on and off on the Treo and reconnect with no problem for another 20 minute session.

I also learned not to disconnect the treo without properly turning things off in the right order - had a little kernal panic
    I'm not sure if things have changed recently, but last time I used WirelessModem for awhile, I was on for over an hour (at MacWorld). As for the kernel panics...always disable WirelessModem on the Treo first, then quit the WirelessModem app on the Mac. I saw this issue awhile ago, but haven't seen it recently; maybe that's because I know the sequence :-)
    yes, since that one incident, I was careful to shut things down in the right order and everything went smoothly.

I was able to stay connected for 55 minutes in one session, occasionally after 12 minutes it seemed to die too... but usually 20 minutes was fairly predictable.
    another happy treo <b>600</b> user.
    I cant seem to be able to telnet or use remote control software through the Vision network, is there a paticluar SOCKS server to use?

Aaron
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by sgruby
    [B]

Definitely not true; if you dial #777, you use Vision and NOT WirelessWeb minutes.

This is a great tip, thank you! (The wap browser on my Kyo6035 would use #777, but all the web clippers and browser would dial in through #2932) I sure hope none of the upper brass at Sprint come read these posts, as I'm positive that they would be undone to see us getting real value out of the service plans they are offering.
    Actually, I disagree. I think the upper brass at Sprint would (at least should) LOVE to know that because of this ability to use my PCS phone as an inexpensive and fairly fast wireless modem for my laptop I have:

1) Doubled my minutes
    2) Added a second phone to my account for my wife
    3) Extended my Sprint PCS service agreement
    4) Canceled my home land-line phone
    5) Am giving them ALL of my home telecommunications and data business and in the process, twice as much money as I was giving them before this all became possible.

Before the Wireless Modem Treo software from Scott and the SnapDialer software from futuredial.com for standard Vision phones I had to keep my land-line phone because I needed internet access from home. These, coupled with the unlimited data Sprint is offering makes it possible to nix the home phone line. It also makes Sprint FAR more attractive than any other wireless carrier out there. No one else offers unlimited data for such a reasonable price - not in the USA at least.

This is awesome and I think Sprint would be wise to promote it rather than try to squash it. Unless their networks just can't handle the traffic, I say any thing that can cause customers to double the amount of cash they're giving Sprint on a monthly basis AND keeps them loyal seems like a good idea.

My suggestion would be that Sprint pay Scott and FutureDial a fair price for their software and then promote it to the whole country.

Now, I just hope that we all don't die from cell phone radiation.
    Last edited by varoomba; 02/03/2003 at 10:44 AM.
    The specific issue that I think Sprint would hate, is using Vision to hook your laptop / desktop unit to the net through the treo. They want you to purchase a connection card, and charge you $40/mo for up to 20mb of usage. The unlimited Vision plan was only intended for handset use, not as a wireless modem.
    I've been following all this thread & was ready when I got my Treo 300 today!. Already had the serial cable from Handspring. Downloaded & installed the Wireless Modem in the unit. There was no specific instructions for Windows ME, so I followed the ones for Windows 2000. At the end, the message was "not able to connect with laptop". Actually, I'm using a desktop. Any help, please?
    Try the instructions for windows 98 because windows me is based off it.
    $10 a month for unlimited wireless internet at ISDN speeds seemed too good to be true and now that I've used it a few days I see, at least for me, what the "catch" may be....frequent disconnects from the dialup. Sometimes it might go for 20 minutes but more typical is just 5 to 10 minutes before I get the dreaded "site not found" screen. This is my experience in central FL and coastal SC anyway.....anyone else have similar problems ? Would the Sierra card modems be more reliable in this repect ?
    I had the same experience in central FL. I think it is a function of signal strength (battery drained very quickly because of that too). SC is fine for me.
    When I say central Florida I was in the city limits of Orlando most of the time.....hard to believe signal strength would be an issue there. Had the same problem in different buildings and in the truck. Hopefully there is some problem with the signal in that area that will be resolved but it's not much better here in Beaufort, SC either.
    Thank you guys! the instructions for Windows 98 work very well also for Windows ME. Funny thing is that last night (around 10pm) it was web-surfing like a champ; now this morning (Miami, Florida area) I was also experiencing drop signal problems etc. I tend to believe it is a problem with the traffic & the time of the day. I will continue testing at different times of the day.
    Ditto experience in Florida. Whild in the Naples / Bonita Springs area (SW Florida) over Christmas I experienced many disconnects. That is what prompted me to post my solutions to reconnect after a disconnect.

I have not had the problem anywhere else in the country thus far. (Although I haven't been in places like Montana.) California connection speeds are really fast (100K). Chicago (my home) is usually around 60-80K.

I wonder if you could receive fewer dropped calls in FL if you used a signal boster or an external antana. Not that you want to go through that hassle, but it might be worth a try.
    varoomba (and others reporting bandwidth),

What (online) tool are you using to test your bandwidth? Does it use jpegs (bandwidth place) or mp3s (DSLReports) or some other file type? This affects the accuracy of your results (jpg tests report higher results than reality due to image downsampling by Sprint).

I have gotten 91k before on a Mac running Jaguar OSX v10.2, USB, DSLReports, 3/4 signal strength, but average around 40-65k with the same setup normally.

Thanks.
    rhong,

I've used bandwidithplace.com and dslreports.com

Similar results - bandwidithplace.com seems to be a bit higher.

My results are similar to yours, however.
    I was having reception problems in Miami, until I started treating it as an antenna problem. When connected to the PC or laptop, usually the Treo would be next to it. It seems to receive some static interference from so many electronics. My serial cable is long enough & now I hang the Treo about 6 feet up in the wall....reception has improved 100% & so far, no disconnects. Guys try it...it might help!