Page 22 of 28 FirstFirst ... 121718192021222324252627 ... LastLast
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    Scott,

I have a what may perhaps be a silly question: While the Treo is logged on via IR/Serial cable to laptop, can you still hotsync and connect conduits using the same internet connection? For example, I need to log on update epocrates database... If I use the Treo as a modem, will I still be able to hotsync and update my epocrates databases as the conduit tries to connect? Is this possible?

Thanks...
    Nope. Sorry. When WirelessModem is running, nothing else can run and if you quit WirelessModem, your connect to the Internet will be disconnected.
    Originally posted by sgruby

Did you copy the file to your hard drive? This is step 2 in the instructions:

"Copy WirelessModem to a location on your hard drive (it will NOT run from the disc image)"

WirelessModem needs to make changes to the WirelessModemDriver.kext file and if it is on the disc image, it won't work.

I copied the wirelessmodemt300.dmg to my applications folder. Double clicked on that which opened up a window with 3 items (wirelessmodem, wirelessmodem.prc, help.htm). When I double click on the wirelessmodem icon it give me the previous error). Are my "Copy WirelessModem to a location on your hard drive" steps correct?

Thanks
    Bob
    Originally posted by levelbob

I copied the wirelessmodemt300.dmg to my applications folder. Double clicked on that which opened up a window with 3 items (wirelessmodem, wirelessmodem.prc, help.htm). When I double click on the wirelessmodem icon it give me the previous error). Are my "Copy WirelessModem to a location on your hard drive" steps correct?

Thanks
    Bob
    No, your steps are not correct. It says to copy WirelessModem to your hard drive and NOT wirelessmodemt300.dmg. You need to copy the icon that looks like a PowerBook connected to a Palm to your hard drive.
    Originally posted by sgruby

No, your steps are not correct. It says to copy WirelessModem to your hard drive and NOT wirelessmodemt300.dmg. You need to copy the icon that looks like a PowerBook connected to a Palm to your hard drive.
    Thanks for the advice. I'm up and running now. CNet bandwidth meter had me at 108, 98, and 103 kbps for three attempts.

Thanks
    Bob
    sgruby..
    have you dealt with email using this connection? If so, are you using smtp.sprintpcs.com as your smtp mailserver? Can you relay mail through this mail server, and does it require your vision name and password??

This is great, by the way

I'm using entourage.. I'm new to the mac, but I have a G4 powerbook 1Ghz and the treo 300 through sprint.. I've had problem sending mail - it gives me a message about not being able to relay mail.. I've never had this problem.

Also, someone mentioned using charging the phone through the car-charger while connecting the usb to the laptop... how is that possible?
    Time how long it takes (rounded to nearest minute) to download a 10 megabyte file with cable/dsl, wireless, then pots modem. The big file should average out sudden bursts.
    Originally posted by toekneeg
    sgruby..
    have you dealt with email using this connection? If so, are you using smtp.sprintpcs.com as your smtp mailserver? Can you relay mail through this mail server, and does it require your vision name and password??

This is great, by the way

I'm using entourage.. I'm new to the mac, but I have a G4 powerbook 1Ghz and the treo 300 through sprint.. I've had problem sending mail - it gives me a message about not being able to relay mail.. I've never had this problem.

Also, someone mentioned using charging the phone through the car-charger while connecting the usb to the laptop... how is that possible?
    1) For the charging cable, Landware and some others make a USB sync n charge cable that some how connects the power pins to power pins on the USB. I don't know the specifics (I could figure it out if I had to, but I don't want to).

2) As for email, yes I do email all the time with the connection. However, I use my own SMTP server with my own authentication. I know that there are other threads talking about using Sprint's SMTP server. It's actually independent of the connection...people talk about using SnapperMail with Sprint and having to use their SMTP server.
    sgruby
    does this connection allow relaying.. because it didn't work for me through entourage.. It may be a setting that I'm missing, but I've looked thoroughly..
    Originally posted by toekneeg
    sgruby
    does this connection allow relaying.. because it didn't work for me through entourage.. It may be a setting that I'm missing, but I've looked thoroughly..
    My software has nothing to do with email or web browsing; it simply allows the Treo to acts as a modem. Please see other threads including <http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...threadid=31317> for information about using the Sprint PCS SMTP server.
    toekneeg,

As Scott stated, your connection to the internet is one thing. Your connection and authentication to your mail server is another. Some mail servers that are used in connection with ISP service will only allow you to send mail through their server if you are connected through their ISP. The thought is that this methodology prevents spammers from hacking into a mail system and sending spam through it. In reality, I don't know how well that theory works... This technology obviously limits the user from being able to send mail when connected via a different ISP - which is the case when you are connection to the net via your treo as you are not connecting through your old ISP but rather through the Sprint PSC system. So your mail server sees that someone is trying to send e-mail through it's system with your password and username but realizes that it's coming from an outside ISP and assumes it's SPAM and rejects it.

So mail servers have work arounds to prevent this. For example, some allow relayng (sending e-mail through a mail server to which you are not connected) if the user has checked for new messages within the past five minutes. If that is the case, then you would first need to do a mail check before sending your message.

Your server may also offer other methods for relaying your message. You'll have to contact your mail server company and ask them for assistance.

Also, if you're using your Treo for e-mail, I wou HIGHLY recommend SnapperMail. It is by far the best, most intuitive e-mail software for the treo. It's not free, but you will never regeret the purchase!

If you want to understand the relay problem in more detail, check out the following web site: http://mail-abuse.org/tsi/ar-what.html

By the way, Entourage is a Microsoft E-Mail program for your Mac just like SnapperMail is an e-mail program for your Treo. Neither of them have anything to do with your mail server except for the fact tha both offer a means to connect to your mail server and download messages from your inbox and send messages through the mail server. So when you contact your mail server to discuss the relay problem, make sure you don't contact Microsoft - unless by some remote chance you use MSN as your e-mail server!
    Last edited by varoomba; 01/13/2003 at 10:14 AM.
    I got it going once, but I cannot seem to get it going lately. I can't remember the exact error and I can't replicate it either. Since then I've tried numerous times to redo the steps that got it to work initially. The USB Modem doesn't show up no mattter what I try. Anyone else experience this?

Thanks
    Bob

BTW I'm running Mac os x 10.2.3 and using the latest version of wirlessmodem (1.0 according to the "about" screen)
    The USB Modem doesn't show up no mattter what I try. Anyone else experience this?
    I've had trouble in the past remembering what I did to get it to work. Here is what I do:

1. Connect Treo and launch Wireless Modem on Treo but DON'T select Enable Modem "Yes".
    2. Switch to your Mac network setting which has just the USB Modem as the Network Port (I call it sprint pcs) and has the Modem Configuration setup properly.
    3. Luanch Wireless Modem on the MAC.
    4. Select Enable Modem "Yes" on the Treo.
    5. On the Mac, select the Modem: Connect (I have the modem pull-down on the menu bar.

That should do it.

BTW: I tested at 119K on bandwidthplace.com!
    Originally posted by philipgood

I've had trouble in the past remembering what I did to get it to work. Here is what I do:

1. Connect Treo and launch Wireless Modem on Treo but DON'T select Enable Modem "Yes".
    2. Switch to your Mac network setting which has just the USB Modem as the Network Port (I call it sprint pcs) and has the Modem Configuration setup properly.
    3. Luanch Wireless Modem on the MAC.
    4. Select Enable Modem "Yes" on the Treo.
    5. On the Mac, select the Modem: Connect (I have the modem pull-down on the menu bar.

That should do it.

BTW: I tested at 119K on bandwidthplace.com!
    I'm afraid that during my troubleshooting process I deleted the "USB Modem" entry in "Network Port Configurations" so I cannot perform step 2. My goal has been to get it to show up again. I noted this morning that my ISync is not working so it may be an isssue other than my WirelessModem configuration.

Thanks for your feedback.
    Bob
    BTW I'm running Mac os x 10.2.3 and using the latest version of wirlessmodem (1.0 according to the "about" screen)
    The latest version of the Mac OS X desktop component is 1.0; the latest version of the Palm component is 1.0.11.
    i would like to use wireless modem and I have windows xp with no serial nor ir. do I havet to get a serial sync cable for my treo, then a usb to serial adapter, and a serial driver? is all this correct (prefer serial over ir)? if this is wrong, please correct me. also where can I download a serial driver for windows xp? thanx!
    Here's my specs from bandwidithplace.com, Im using win 2k, IR connection. Wireless modem rocks, just checked out of my room with not 1 phone call charge for the whole week.

Your raw speed was 46864.99 bits per second which is the same as:

Communications

46.9 kilobits per second
    How communication devices are rated. Kilo means 1,000 and mega means 1,000,000. Examples include 56k modem and 10Mbit Ethernet

Storage

5.7 kilobytes per second
    The way data is measured on your hard drive and how file sharing and FTP programs measure transfer speeds. Kilo is 1,024 and mega is 1,048,576.

1MB file download

3 minutes
    The time it would take you to download a 1 megabyte file at this speed.
    I plan to use this program as soon as my Treo arrives. What I want to know is can I access any port or just http (80). For example can I use FTP (port 21) on my Comp? I heard something about a Sprint proxy that you HAD to use. Is this true? if so what does it do/block and what does it allow?

Thanks For the help,
    AK_RAGE
    Originally posted by AKRAGE
    I plan to use this program as soon as my Treo arrives. What I want to know is can I access any port or just http (80). For example can I use FTP (port 21) on my Comp? I heard something about a Sprint proxy that you HAD to use. Is this true? if so what does it do/block and what does it allow?

Thanks For the help,
    AK_RAGE
    You can use any port you want. All HTTP access goes through a transparent proxy which downsamples the images (and probably does other things). The only way to get around this (which isn't a big deal) is to setup a tunnel to some other machine and use that. In my opinion, it isn't worth it. I've used FTP, HTTPS, HTTP, AFP (Apple File Protocol, port 548), etc. without any problems.
    Scott, congrats on writing such a good program. I'm a new Treo owner (only three days now). I downloaded WirelessModem and had it up and running in about 10 minutes. My connect speeds were pretty good:

(posted from my www.bandwidthplace.com results)

Your raw speed was 63263.57 bits per second which is the same as: 63.3 kilobits per second

Will be testing the program for a bit then will be paying for it if all goes well.

Thanks again!

John
    I'm not sure if this has already been mentioned or not...

For those interested I just bought a combo USB/Serial cable from accessorydirect on Ebay for about $25 shipped. I tested it the other night and I could use my Treo300 with my Win2k laptop. I had the Hotsync manager set to USB-only hotsync so that I could connect to the internet on COM2.

If you plug the USB in it will charge the phone from your laptop's USB port. Of course you need to have the serial cable plugged in to connect to Wireless modem on the Treo300.

So, in short:

1) One end of the cable you plug into the Treo
    2) The other end of the cable has one USB and one Serial connection
    3) Plug both of these in (serial and usb) and you're off! (Your laptop will charge your treo, you have a serial connection for the WirelessModem, and you have a USB connection for fast hotsyncs)