Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ... 111617181920212223242526 ... LastLast
    If a winxpusb drvr doesn't materialize, I may try the serial route. I see the treo serial sync cable at Frys, but don't see a cable that has usb on one end and serial on the other. As a matter of fact, I'd prefer it wasn't a cable, just a converter plug. I read the serialxp instructions. They are very_well_written. Only question would be how one knows the com port # for a usb2serial cable. My laptop has an internal toshiba amr modem on com3, and no com ports listed in device manager under "Ports (COM & LPT)". My assumption would be to make the hardware cable connections, turn wireless modem "on" on the treo, then check device manager or system information to see if winxp found anything, and if so, start from the top of the instructions and plug that com port # in. It's possible that windows might assign the first available com port (in this case 1), but who knows. I priced port replicators, but found them expensive and it wouldn't be very convenient to lug around.

While I'm happy with the cost of my laptop, two mods would've made it better: nix vga and parallel and replace with rca(or svideo) and serial. What good is a dvd player if in order to hook it up to a big screen tv you'd have to go through a scan converter which is more expensive than a standalone dvd player. And while the inclusion of parallel is meant for legacy printers, who has a printer nowadays that isn't usb?

(brief trip down memory lane: my first computer (1987) was a Compu-Add 286/10. Got home, but couldn't get Procomm Plus to connect to a BBS. Took it back. They said "uhh, the modem was left out", "well can we put it in, I asked", "what's a matter, don't you have a phillips screwdriver? responded the salesman". That was my introduction to doityerselfing, understanding Taiwanese Engrish, setting jumpers, switches, and finagling dma/irq's. Nowadays, I hesitate to make any hardware changes that would cause windows product activation to fail)
    David
    1. Is the Sanyo 4900 and it's ilk WAP enabled =only= or not ?

yes (if it doesn't have palm, ppcpe, smartphone2002, symbian, or linux, it's only going to be wap 2.0 compliant)

2. And if so, does a Sanyo 4900 being used as a modem for your laptop on Sprint PCS Vision, nontheless display the entire internet just as your home PC would ?

yes, although Scott noticed the colors were downsized in a way that is barely noticeable to the untrained eye
    David
    Originally posted by drw
    If a winxpusb drvr doesn't materialize, I may try the serial route. I see the treo serial sync cable at Frys, but don't see a cable that has usb on one end and serial on the other. As a matter of fact, I'd prefer it wasn't a cable, just a converter plug. I read the serialxp instructions. They are very_well_written. Only question would be how one knows the com port # for a usb2serial cable. My laptop has an internal toshiba amr modem on com3, and no com ports listed in device manager under "Ports (COM & LPT)". My assumption would be to make the hardware cable connections, turn wireless modem "on" on the treo, then check device manager or system information to see if winxp found anything, and if so, start from the top of the instructions and plug that com port # in. It's possible that windows might assign the first available com port (in this case 1), but who knows. I priced port replicators, but found them expensive and it wouldn't be very convenient to lug around.
    Which COM port you use is going to depend on the USB to serial converter you use and what COM port it assigns. The documentation for the serial to USB is what I experienced using a Keyspan USB to serial converter on my desktop Windows box. The Keyspan software will assign the COM port.
    (Speed Report)
    I bought "Wireless Modem" after the trail period "well worth the $$ for me" but I've found the speed variations you get must be a Sprint thing. For example: My home base is in the Chattanooga area and the speed seems like 14.4. Yesterday I headed out to SF for MacWorld, while in the Atlanta airport I connected and it seemed like DSL !! Now in SF, same thing DSL or Cable like speeds!! it's great. So I think it all depends on where you are. I don't think Sprint's PCS Vision is consistent nationwide ...yet.

(OS X 10.2.3 question)
    Scott, I just upgraded to 10.2.3 and noticed Apple has now added a modem script "Sprint PCS Vision" will this change our set up? would it help with speed?
    Originally posted by kevp913

So luckily I have a 2nd hard drive for my laptop with Win 2k installed. So I booted up in that, and followed the installation procedures, and it works perfectly. However this isn't a solution for me, since 2k isn't my primary OS. Has anybody with XP Professional been able to get this to work?

Scott,
    After running it on 2k, here is the INIT string that 2k sent to the TREO:
    11-18-2002 12:17:07.786 - Send: ATE0V1&C1&D2S0=0<cr>
    11-18-2002 12:17:07.886 - Recv: ATE0V1&C1&D2S0=0<cr>
    11-18-2002 12:17:07.886 - Command Echo
    11-18-2002 12:17:07.886 - Recv: <cr><lf>OK<cr><lf>
    11-18-2002 12:17:07.886 - Interpreted response: OK

whereas with XP it was:
    11-18-2002 09:52:01.954 - Send: AT&FE0V1&C1&D2S95=47S0=0<cr>
    11-18-2002 09:52:02.565 - Recv: <cr><lf>ERROR<cr><lf>
    11-18-2002 09:52:02.565 - Interpreted response: Error

Very similar, but slightly different. Is there anyway in your program to have the TREO respond with an ECHO or OK if the XP init string is received?
    Hi,

I had the same problem as you. After two hours of troublehsooting, my WinXP laptop still could not connect via IR. After reading thru about 23 pages of posts, I dervied that it must be the Modem's Init string too.

So I decided to tinker. I figured that big phat init string was from the modem trying to set itself up as a 56k or even a 56k v90 modem. Since Scott said all you needed was an 'AT' and nothing else, I tried to modify init files and all that crap. I failed. So I decided to try a different driver. After some testing, I found the Standard 300 Modem to work fine. Remebering my old Ti99/4a days, I knew you didn't need much of an init string for a 300bps modem (I used to dial the connection manually back then).

So it works now. Don't misunderstand, the driver is for the 300bps modem, but the connect speed is fine. While I use T-Mobile and my dial-up over cell phone connections top out at a phat 9.6k, it seems to be working fine. bandwidthplace.com reports a speed of (which is about what I used to get when I used my Nokia phone in lieu of the Treo)

So, in a nutshell, I did everything as the standard directions indicated. I then just replaced the modem with a Standard 300 Modem driver.

I hope that helps!
    Originally posted by imageone

(OS X 10.2.3 question)
    Scott, I just upgraded to 10.2.3 and noticed Apple has now added a modem script "Sprint PCS Vision" will this change our set up? would it help with speed?
    It should work; I hadn't noticed the option before and haven't tested it. Will it be faster? I don't know.
    Originally posted by jasondeno

Hi,

I had the same problem as you. After two hours of troublehsooting, my WinXP laptop still could not connect via IR. After reading thru about 23 pages of posts, I dervied that it must be the Modem's Init string too.

So I decided to tinker. I figured that big phat init string was from the modem trying to set itself up as a 56k or even a 56k v90 modem. Since Scott said all you needed was an 'AT' and nothing else, I tried to modify init files and all that crap. I failed. So I decided to try a different driver. After some testing, I found the Standard 300 Modem to work fine. Remebering my old Ti99/4a days, I knew you didn't need much of an init string for a 300bps modem (I used to dial the connection manually back then).

So it works now. Don't misunderstand, the driver is for the 300bps modem, but the connect speed is fine. While I use T-Mobile and my dial-up over cell phone connections top out at a phat 9.6k, it seems to be working fine. bandwidthplace.com reports a speed of (which is about what I used to get when I used my Nokia phone in lieu of the Treo)

So, in a nutshell, I did everything as the standard directions indicated. I then just replaced the modem with a Standard 300 Modem driver.

I hope that helps!
    You might also want to try the Sprint PCS 3G modem driver that comes w/ the sprint dialer program on their web page. That is what I use.

-WZ
    Sorry... I think I fell behind somewhere in the 27 pages prior. :-) The last I heard, we were all using Scott Gruby's "Wireless Modem" program, available from www.notifymail.com/palm, and on our laptops, we were using a dial-up connection with a simple "vanilla" modem driver. That's been working for me. (And I'm registered, thank you Scott!)

Are you saying Sprint has now provided a special driver for either the laptop or the Treo... that replaces either of those? If so, will I reap some kind of gain or benefit if I mess with my already-working install and try to improve on it?

Thanks.
    Doug
    Doug
    Originally posted by DougLucas
    Sorry... I think I fell behind somewhere in the 27 pages prior. :-) The last I heard, we were all using Scott Gruby's "Wireless Modem" program, available from www.notifymail.com/palm, and on our laptops, we were using a dial-up connection with a simple "vanilla" modem driver. That's been working for me. (And I'm registered, thank you Scott!)

Are you saying Sprint has now provided a special driver for either the laptop or the Treo... that replaces either of those? If so, will I reap some kind of gain or benefit if I mess with my already-working install and try to improve on it?

Thanks.
    Doug
    If you install the Spring PCS Dialer program, it will install special sprint pcs modem drivers. one of these is a 3G driver. It allows you to set the modem to very high speeds. I was not able to get any additional speed from the driver. The driver also allows you to use hardware error correction and other various options that the typical 56k driver wouldn't allow for. None of these seemed to speed up the connection though. I used both the serial and the IR.

Yes, I am still using WirelessModem on the treo. Just used the sprint drivers out of the sprint dialer program instead of the default windows modem drivers.
    -WZ

BTW, I'm starting to get lost in the 27 pages too
    Thanks for your response... Based on your input, I probably won't mess with the install then. Mine's working fast enough for email. Thanks again!
    Doug
    ---
    If you install the Spring PCS Dialer program, it will install special sprint pcs modem drivers. one of these is a 3G driver. It allows you to set the modem to very high speeds. I was not able to get any additional speed from the driver. The driver also allows you to use hardware error correction and other various options that the typical 56k driver wouldn't allow for. None of these seemed to speed up the connection though. I used both the serial and the IR.

Yes, I am still using WirelessModem on the treo. Just used the sprint drivers out of the sprint dialer program instead of the default windows modem drivers.
    ---
    Doug
    Originally posted by imageone

(OS X 10.2.3 question)
    I'm using it now and it appears to work fine. As for speed, I just got 27 kbps download and 47 kbps upload. So I don't really think it is faster. The script appears to set the port speed to 230K and simply sends ATZ.
    I have a Gateway 600xl laptop running xp-pro and my treo 300 is attached with a serial cable.

I have been testing Wireless Modem, and I've been consistently getting 40kbps, but the connection has been dying after a few minutes of activity. Tonight, I tried to do some of the suggestions that people have made here, but I hadn't had much luck. Then, I upped the buffer size from 8192 to its max, and I haven't had a lost connection since. I don't know for sure if the problem is fixed, but I'm posting with my Wireless Modem connections right now, and my connection has been up for about 25 or 30 minutes.

It seems like it's related to how long the connection is idle. Maybe the buffer fills up or something. I don't know. If I let it sit for a while the connection will die.

If anyone else has a similar configuration, why don't you test and post your results?
    I just tested using DSL reports and it reported a whopping 110 kbps download and 49 kbps upload. This is in San Francisco with 4 bars of coverage. The test may not be accurate because my connection was being used; I actually am sharing my connection over 802.11b with a friend of mine and we're both getting pretty decent transfer rates.

BTW, on the Mac, I'm using the Sprint PCS Vision connection script.
    OK. I'm an *****. I've used to write modem scripts in AT as a hobby.

Now XP has me stumped.

I can get the treo to respond via Hyperterm, but I can't get the damn thing to work through the dial section.

XP sends a set a set of AT commands that the treo doesn't seem to mind, then XP kicks up an 'operator assisted dial' screen.

I have no idea where it comes from. I click OK, and XP send ATDT<cr>

Anyone else having this problem. Been beating my head against this thing for hours. I long for the days when we, the users, got to configure our devices instead of letting Big Brother Bill do it for us.

Randy
    reliason@alltel.net

NEVER MIND - never let your girlfriend play with your notebook

sigh
    OK, so after tinkering and following this thread from aboput day 3 I finally see the active IR icon and the active connection icon on the bottom right on Windows2000. Now what? How do I dial/connect my ISP? Or in my case, my dial-up office server? Or the web?

I'm no techie, but this has been one frustrating ride from a users side.

TWF
    For fun & profit & Christ,
    TWF in Chicago
    If you followed all of the directions and you've got the connection established. You don't need to do anything else. You're connected to the internet. You don't need to connect to your ISP.

Did you try to bring up your web browser to see if it worked?
    Originally posted by WFTarHeel
    If you followed all of the directions and you've got the connection established. You don't need to do anything else. You're connected to the internet. You don't need to connect to your ISP.

Did you try to bring up your web browser to see if it worked?

I logged off my LAN, then logged back on standalone (Compaq Armada 1700, Win2000).

I launched IE and got out on the web via WirelesswModem/Treo300!

But here's what happened over the next 20 minutes as I visited varios other web sits and tested the speed as I went:
    - Bandwidth Place Speed Test #1: 55.3
    - Bandwidth Place Speed Test #2: 48.6
    - DSL Reports speedtest#1: 17dn/19up
    - Bandwidth Place Speed Test #3: 9

Then no page would load after that. This reply is from my office LAN connection.

1) Is this going to continue or are there corrections I can make?
    (I'll test again later today/tonight)

2) I still do not understand how this set-up will allow me to "dial" into my office computer. We do not have access through the internet, only via direct dial. Can I accomplish this with WirelessModem?
    For fun & profit & Christ,
    TWF in Chicago
    Scott,

I have a what may perhaps be a silly question: While the Treo is logged on via IR/Serial cable to laptop, can you still hotsync and connect conduits using the same internet connection? For example, I need to log on update epocrates database... If I use the Treo as a modem, will I still be able to hotsync and update my epocrates databases as the conduit tries to connect? Is this possible?

Thanks...
    I have a powerbook running 10.2.3. After launching WirelessModem on the Mac it prompts me for password. When I enter it in, a dialog box is displayed telling that WirelessModemDriver.kext has problems.

More precise...

The file "WirelessModemDriver.kext" has problems that may reduce the security of your computer. blah.. blah...

It gives me 3 choices. Fix and Use, Use and Don't Use. I've tried all 3 with no success.

Anyone else run into this?

Thanks
    Bob
    Originally posted by levelbob
    I have a powerbook running 10.2.3. After launching WirelessModem on the Mac it prompts me for password. When I enter it in, a dialog box is displayed telling that WirelessModemDriver.kext has problems.

More precise...

The file "WirelessModemDriver.kext" has problems that may reduce the security of your computer. blah.. blah...

It gives me 3 choices. Fix and Use, Use and Don't Use. I've tried all 3 with no success.

Anyone else run into this?

Thanks
    Bob
    Did you copy the file to your hard drive? This is step 2 in the instructions:

"Copy WirelessModem to a location on your hard drive (it will NOT run from the disc image)"

WirelessModem needs to make changes to the WirelessModemDriver.kext file and if it is on the disc image, it won't work.