Page 20 of 28 FirstFirst ... 101516171819202122232425 ... LastLast
    Scott, I installed the software and I got it working, but I had the problem that Yvonne described here. I emailed you and asked you had you ever heard of that problem happening before. I didn't ask you to fix the problem. If you don't want people emailing you with questions, perhaps you should remove this statement from the help.htm file that you include with the download. It's the reason I emailed you.

If you have any questions about WirelessModem, please feel free to contact us.

Via Email: palm-info@notifymail.com

Via the World Wide Web: http://www.notifymail.com/palm/

Latest Versions of the software: http://www.notifymail.com/palm/
    1. If you want to have web acess via your laptop you can either connect via your Treo 300 or via Sierra or Merlin card.

2. If done so via Treo 300, it is best, if not essential, to do so with a ~Mac~ laptop

3. The best speed one can expect via this method is about 30K

4. With this method on the Sprint PCS Vision plan one can have unlimited web acess for as little as $30 a month

5. However, if one wants faster downloads, and doesn't necessarily care about having a Treo for it's other functions, one should go with the Sierra or Merlin cards, in which case unlimited downloads on Vision plan cost $100 a month, but are faster at 60 to 70K (and in theory at 144K soon ?)
    I have now read the entire 26 pages of this thread and see that my point no. 2 is not exactly right. I was sort of looking forward to having an excuse to be "forced" to buy my first Mac based computer! Somebody please throw out some info to reconvince me

Still not sure what to think of my point no. 3 regarding data speeds, as it seems to be all over the place. I suppose the fasinating thing would be for someone to compare the data speeds via the Treo laptop connection versus the Merlin card at the same location on similar laptops. Any thoughts on that ?
    Last edited by Procyon; 01/02/2003 at 09:50 AM.
    I got 40k on my first attempt, and I have not tweaked it any. I think to get unlimited data, you'll have to pay an extra $10 if you have the 29.99 plan. I'm using a laptop that runs Windows XP Pro.
    Originally posted by WFTarHeel
    I got 40k on my first attempt, and I have not tweaked it any. I think to get unlimited data, you'll have to pay an extra $10 if you have the 29.99 plan. I'm using a laptop that runs Windows XP Pro.
    True, it's only $30 for 3 months and then goes to $40 if you continue with unlimited PCS Vision portion.
    Yep. That's the plan I'm on.
    Scott, I installed the software and I got it working, but I had the problem that Yvonne described here. I emailed you and asked you had you ever heard of that problem happening before. I didn't ask you to fix the problem. If you don't want people emailing you with questions, perhaps you should remove this statement from the help.htm file that you include with the download. It's the reason I emailed you.

If you have any questions about WirelessModem, please feel free to contact us.

Fixed. The documentation has been updated to NOT contact me. Sorry for the confusion.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Originally posted by Poryphyron
    T-Mobile give you the choice in a profile page to turn off the graphics proxy to get uncompressed images. Sprint should consider this on their proxy.
    This difference is that T-Mobile charges based on data transfer; Sprint has a fixed fee. (If you're using their unlimited plan for $10 per month.)

It's no sweat off of TM's back if you end up using more bytes than you would have if you'd gone through their compression proxy. With Sprint, however, they're adding more work to their network without any monetary gain.

Joel
    Originally posted by Procyon

I have now read the entire 26 pages of this thread and see that my point no. 2 is not exactly right. I was sort of looking forward to having an excuse to be "forced" to buy my first Mac based computer! Somebody please throw out some info to reconvince me

Still not sure what to think of my point no. 3 regarding data speeds, as it seems to be all over the place. I suppose the fasinating thing would be for someone to compare the data speeds via the Treo laptop connection versus the Merlin card at the same location on similar laptops. Any thoughts on that ?
    Using a Titanium Powerbook, Treo 300 and wireless modem. I measured my connection at 89k. This was with one bar on my connection measurement.
    Originally posted by philipgood

Using a Titanium Powerbook, Treo 300 and wireless modem. I measured my connection at 89k. This was with one bar on my connection measurement.
    Hey philipgood,

What site were you using to test your connection?
    If you use a bandwidth tester that sends jpegs, it will report higher than actual speed because Sprint's network does compression on images. If you use a site like DSL Reports,
    which sends mp3 files, I don't think Sprint's network does
    compression on mp3s. I get max around 30k via infrared
    from DSL reports. I want to test using a mac soon. Make
    sure your buffer settings are maxed out on the Treo too.
    Hello,

Scott,

First off I'm on a mac g4 with OS X 10.2.2. I downloaded your wireless modem application and everything seemed to work fine. I got the usb modem to show up in preferences and was at the final step where it said to quit the wireless modem application because it wont sync. I didn't realize that I had it open twice. One from the desktop and one from the disk image. Anyway my palm froze and I reset it but now I can't seem to get the modem working again. It shows up in preferences on my mac but it is greyed out.

On the treo it still shows up. I click on wireless modem and it brings up the page. I hit demo and make sure the settings are correct (wireless modem and USB Generic2) but when I click yes to enable modem it says, "unable to open PDA modem port"

Any ideas? I'd love to buy this software it is exactly what I need.

Thanks for any help.
    Anthony
    I think I got that error when wireless mode was turned off on my Treo.
    Originally posted by aminero
    Hello,

Scott,

First off I'm on a mac g4 with OS X 10.2.2. I downloaded your wireless modem application and everything seemed to work fine. I got the usb modem to show up in preferences and was at the final step where it said to quit the wireless modem application because it wont sync. I didn't realize that I had it open twice. One from the desktop and one from the disk image. Anyway my palm froze and I reset it but now I can't seem to get the modem working again. It shows up in preferences on my mac but it is greyed out.

On the treo it still shows up. I click on wireless modem and it brings up the page. I hit demo and make sure the settings are correct (wireless modem and USB Generic2) but when I click yes to enable modem it says, "unable to open PDA modem port"

Any ideas? I'd love to buy this software it is exactly what I need.

Thanks for any help.
    Wireless mode is turned off. In a future version of WirelessModem, it will automatically turn on wireless mode in order to avoid this problem.
    Hi Scott - and others -
    I am using Wireless Modem and my Treo- velcro'd to my laptop - works like a charm -
    Was wondering though - what is faster -
    Using a Treo through the vision network or a Merlin or PCMCIA card that Sprint sells?
    I would imagine that both would be the same speeds? Do you know some facts that would prove otherwise?

Greg Rosner
    Originally posted by groisner
    Hi Scott - and others -
    I am using Wireless Modem and my Treo- velcro'd to my laptop - works like a charm -
    Was wondering though - what is faster -
    Using a Treo through the vision network or a Merlin or PCMCIA card that Sprint sells?
    I would imagine that both would be the same speeds? Do you know some facts that would prove otherwise?

Greg Rosner
    From posted reports, the PC card is definitely faster. The Treo doesn't appear to have the horsepower to efficiently run WirelessModem in that every packet that comes from the network has to go through the Treo before it can reach the laptop; with the PC card, this isn't the case. If you need a dedicated, fast card, I'd definitely get the PC card.
    Thought you guys might be interested in this little tidbit my wife stumbled across today.....

Source: eWEEK

Users Binge at the Wireless Buffet

Carmen Nobel

Wireless carriers are backpedaling on unlimited service offerings as customers take undue advantage of data deals.

Wireless carriers are backpedaling on unlimited service offerings as smart customers figure out how to patch their phones to their laptops to take undue advantage of the all-you-can-eat data deals.

To get customers turned on to its cell phone-based wireless data services, Sprint PCS in the fall started offering several new plans for its 3G network that include unlimited "PCS Vision" data access at no extra charge for three months, and an additional $10 per month after that.

Other plans include the ability to customize plans by adding unlimited "Vision" data service to previously-existing plans for an additional $10 per month. These plans are designed for customers who want to read e-mail and Internet data on their phones.

At the same time, Sprint offers something called "PCS Vision for Laptops and PDAs." These plans are designed for wireless access to the Internet using a PC card modem and cost $100 for unlimited data access.

The problem for Sprint, and the loophole for customers, is that it's possible to use a Sprint phone as a laptop modem with a simple software download and a cable connection from the phone to the computer. Thus it's possible to get access meant to cost $100 per month for free, simply by buying an entire phone plan that costs as little as $30.

Earlier this year, Sprint pulled connection cables from its site. Customers who order service and say they want a laptop connection are told they need to buy a PC Card modem and the "PCS Vision Plans for Laptops and PDAs" plan.

And the small print in Sprint's brochures certainly discourages the use of the phone as a modem: "Unlimited PCS Vision offer for PCS Free & Clear Plans with Vision is: (a) only available with a Vision capable PCS Phone or PCS smart phone device; and (b) not available with Connection Cards, Aircards, or any other device used in connection with a computer or PDA—including phones, smart phones or other devices used with connection kits or similar phone-to-computer/PDA accessories. Sprint reserves the right to deny or to terminate service without notice for misuse."

But a Sprint PCS customer service representative said that he was told to discourage, but not disallow, customers from using connection cables from third parties, and the company actually contradicts itself on its own site.

"Funny thing is, Sprint still makes the connection manager software freely available as a download from their site," said Joe Cummings, senior Web developer at the Boston Phoenix, a weekly newspaper in Boston who bought a connection cable at a local Radio Shack. "I get the impression that Sprint included those little nuggets as a safety valve in case access abuse blew up in their faces."

The text accompanying the download says "PCS Connection Manager software allows laptops and PDAs to wirelessly connect to PCS Vision with a data cable and a PCS Phone or a PCS Connection Card."

"I know that the group that handles our Web site is in the process of removing all verbiage from sprintpcs.com in relation to Connectivity Kits and software," said Bit Vo, a Sprint PCS spokeswoman in Kansas City, Mo. But as of late this week, the software kit is still available on the site.

At any rate, customers can buy connection kits—both software and cables—from retail outlets and online.

FutureDial Inc. sells a connection kit called the SnapDialer that includes both cables and connection software. It works for 3G service connections from both Sprint PCS and Verizon Wireless.

Verizon Wireless, for its part, is a little clearer about its unlimited data plans. It's a flat rate of $99 per month regardless of whether customers are using the phone as a Web browser or as a modem for a laptop. But Verizon's terms are a little vague, too.

"Machine non-stop downloads, [such as] downloading the content of the Library of Congress using CDMA1X and are connected 24/7, are not allowed," said Jeffrey Nelson, a spokesman for Verizon Wireless in Bedminster, N.J. "If we saw that kind of usage, we'd contact the customer directly."

Officials at FutureDial said that they are aware that customers are using their products to get laptop access via the plans Sprint PCS intends for the phone.

"My understanding is that they'd rather that you didn't do that," said Byron Fujikawa, a customer support manager at FutureDial in Sunnyvale, Calif., which actually partners with Sprint PCS on other wireless data products. "They haven't told us not to sell them."

Cummings bought the SnapDial connection kit at a local Radio Shack.

"My prime motive for getting the cable was so that I could back up phone book data," Cummings said. "Internet access is a happy bonus. Given my job as a Web developer, when a problem arises at work, I have to be able to connect. It's nice to know that I could fix any one of my employer's properties when I'm on the road—as long as I have a signal."

Cummings pays $85 per month for 2000 voice minutes, plus the unlimited data access.

"There is no way I'd spend $100 per month plus the cost of a card for a wireless Internet connection," he added. "The cost just isn't worth it to me."

©Copyright 2002 Ziff Davis Media Inc. All Rights Reserved. Reprinted with permission of eWEEK.
    RE: Sprint and Verizon wireless web laptop connection

"Procyon" - THANK you SO much for your post of the eWeek article. Since I've been using Scott's software, I've been trying to figure out a way to drop my landline phone and use the money saved to add a phone to my Sprint plan for my wife. Only problem was that she wouldn't have internet access at home without the landline phone and I couldn't justify the costs of buying her a Treo. This beautifully solves that problem! The SnapDialer software costs a very reasonable $29.99 and a serial or USB data connection cable can be purchased for $29.99 for 37 different Sprint phones and 20 different Verizon phones. You can purchase the connection kit via their web site www.futuredial.com/futuredial/P_SD.htm and supposedly also at Radio Shack.

Goodbye SBC, hello Sprint PCS. I'm buying the connection kit and a new phone for my wife and canceling my SBC service as soon as her phone is set up! I would think that Sprint would be pleased. I know I am.

Future Dial has a listing of half a dozen different USB drivers that are meant to connect different cell phones to a laptop along with several sets of instructions for making them work. Wouldn't these be performing the same function that we are all looking for in a Treo USB driver - allowing the laptop to communicate with the phone as a modem via a USB connection. Maybe not, but for those of you with a better understanding of the drivers and time to test some of them out, I bet this might be what we're looking for. www.futuredial.com/snapsync/drivers/update.htm

I am using Win XP and find that my data connection seems to die fairly regularly. I am not sure why this is happening, and while it is annoying, I have found some work arounds to keep thing rolling. (You know your connection is dead by a lack of activity in the "Activity Received" section of your "Treo Modem Status" screen accessed via it's icon in the system tray.)

1) Click on the modem status icon in the system tray. This displays the send / receive activity status. It is probably supersition, but it seems to me that when my connection dies, 50% of the time clicking on this somehow wakes it up. It's probably just coincidence... But then again...

2) Cycle wireless mode on the Treo: Do this by holding down the power button on top of the Treo 300 until you receive the message "Goodbye". Release and then hold it down again until you receive a "Welcome" message.

3) If 1 & 2 fail to reenergize your connection, disconnect from your connection (by double clicking on the modem status icon in the system tray) and click on "Disconnect". Then repeat step #2 and then double click on your Treo Modem icon to reconnect. (If you skip the wireless mode cycling [step 2] you will likely receive an error 62.)

It's probably a Sprint issue - I'm experincing it in SW Florida, but have not experienced the problem in Chicago...

Also, Scott, please don't be so harsh with the folks who e-mailed you for help. They were just doing what the documentation said. I know it's hard and I would get frustrated if bombarded with lots of support questions on software that has not yet been paid for, but it's not really these guy's faults... Oh well. Along the same lines, you might also want to change the "Return Policy" on your eSellerate e-commerce page as it also states (as of 1/3/03) that users having difficulty should contact tech support via e-mail.

"Please make sure that the product you are purchasing operates correctly in your environment prior to purchasing. You are allowed 21 days to try out the product before purchasing. If you have any trouble with the product, please contact our technical support department at: support@notifymail.com. Since we offer a trial period, we are unable to refund your purchase. Under extraordinary circumstances, we may refund your puchase price minus a 25% charge; this 25% charge covers our expenses for your mistake. Please contact sales@notifymai.com if you have questions."

p.s. Scott, thanks for continuing to update and improve this product and it's documentation. It really is a great product.

Note to new readers of this thread: Support is not available for WirelessModem. However, you will likley find the support you need to get the software set up by reading through the posts in this discussion thread. (To view the entire thread: http://discussion.visorcentral.com/v...45&perpage=500)

Users can download and use the software to verify that it works with their system prior to purchasing. Download the software and instructions at: www.notifymail.com/palm/wmodem/
    Last edited by varoomba; 01/04/2003 at 01:38 AM.
    How does SnapDial work? It doesn't say anything about installing software on your phone, and it also doesn't say anything about supporting the Treo 300. Would this eliminate the need for Wireless Modem? If so, I'd prefer to go with a supported product.

varoomba, thanks for the suggestions on dropped connections. I plan to test when I get some free time this weekend. I'll post my results.
    How does SnapDial work? It doesn't say anything about installing software on your phone, and it also doesn't say anything about supporting the Treo 300. Would this eliminate the need for Wireless Modem? If so, I'd prefer to go with a supported product.

varoomba, thanks for the suggestions on dropped connections. I plan to test when I get some free time this weekend. I'll post my results.
    SnapDial is great! You just install the USB drivers for your phone... you install the dialer, and you connect to the internet at 100kbps (tested on dslreports.com)

Problem is, it doesn't support the treo.

I did install the sanyo modem driver and was able to get the dialer to query my treo over IR. Got some interesting results, like signal strength, manufacture, etc. Other than that, no go. I wish one of these 3rd party companies would just develop a connection kit. They'd sell quite a few I am betting...

btw The phone I tested w/ it was the sanyo 4900. It worked perfectly. When I saw that, I was bout ready to toss my treo. (not literally)

-WZ
    Originally posted by varoomba

Support Suggestions

Also, Scott, please don't be so harsh with the folks who e-mailed you for help. They were just doing what the documentation said. I know it's hard and I would get frustrated if bombarded with lots of support questions on software that has not yet been paid for, but it's not really these guy's faults... Oh well. Along the same lines, you might also want to change the "Return Policy" on your eSellerate e-commerce page as it also states (as of 1/3/03) that users having difficulty should contact tech support via e-mail.

"Please make sure that the product you are purchasing operates correctly in your environment prior to purchasing. You are allowed 21 days to try out the product before purchasing. If you have any trouble with the product, please contact our technical support department at: support@notifymail.com. Since we offer a trial period, we are unable to refund your purchase. Under extraordinary circumstances, we may refund your puchase price minus a 25% charge; this 25% charge covers our expenses for your mistake. Please contact sales@notifymai.com if you have questions."

Thank you for the suggestions; I've updated the return policy to indicate that WirelessModem users should not contact support.

As for me being harsh, there have been a few too many users that have verbally attacked me and I find this unacceptable. While it is a shame to have a few spoil it for everyone, I really don't need the stress.

When people post here or on the WirelessModem users list, I do what I can to help. I believe that the current documentation covers a lot of scenarios and if people follow the instructions, for the most part things will work. I know that people skip a step they don't think is important and then complain that it doesn't work and then get mad at me when I suggest they need to repeat the process.

If Handspring or Sprint wants to purchase the product and handle all the support, I welcome them to contact me. As a small operation, I don't have the time or resources to handle all the support inquiries.

Hopefully I've updated all the references on my website to indicate that there is no support for the product. While I realize there have been little bits here in there saying to contact us, I thought that the note on the download page was pretty clear.

Good luck and I'm glad that people are enjoying my software!
    The mention of using a Sanyo 4900 phone brings up yet another issue that I'm hoping you guys can settle once and for all. And that is the issue of WAP internet versus "regular" internet on a web enabled phone. I assumed that the smaller screen phones, like the Sanyo 4900 were, by necessity of their tiny screens WAP enabled only and that the Treo 300, with it's larger screen, was the only one that showed the regular internet. So the questions are

1. Is the Sanyo 4900 and it's ilk WAP enabled only or not ?

2. And if so, does a Sanyo 4900 being used as a modem for your laptop on Sprint PCS Vision, nontheless display the entire internet just as your home PC would ?