Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
    Hello all,

I've read alot of the comments people have posted on this topic... here is where I stand.. I've had a treo 180 for a while, upgraded to a treo 300 with vision.. basically had all the quirks and issues nailed... except... wirelessmodem+vision.

I managed, after alot of tweaking, to make it connect over IR to dial #777 and connect, HOWEVER.. it will not connect beyond 9600 no matter what I try.

I have seen people mention the sony cdma script on OS X.. can some paste the init string from this unit? I have searched the web in vain.

IS it possible with wirelessmodem to connect above 9600 over ir?

Thanks very much

Boris
    Originally posted by btsipenyuk
    IS it possible with wirelessmodem to connect above 9600 over ir?

Yes. The connect speed you get doesn't necessarily reflect the actual speed. For me, it doesn't even tell me the connect speed. I've seen speeds as high as 45 kbps.

The init string appears to be:

AT&F0E0Q0V1X4S0=0
  3.    #23  
    Does the IR port on the Treo and the Mac need to be close (with the USB hooked up) in order for the W. Modem to work?

- I really want to give you my $65!
    <b>The difficult is easy, the impossible takes time.</b>
    Originally posted by hbsr17
    Does the IR port on the Treo and the Mac need to be close (with the USB hooked up) in order for the W. Modem to work?

- I really want to give you my $65!
    If you're using USB, you can completely ignore IR. In fact, my PowerBook G4 doesn't even have IR.

Please try the software BEFORE purchasing; if it doesn't work, please don't buy it.
  5.    #25  
    There has been progress made!
    Last edited by hbsr17; 11/04/2002 at 02:45 AM.
  6.    #26  
    There has been progress made!

I have gotten my TI 500 to relize that the treo 300 is there. I have set up the program correctly.

They talk to each other.

The only issue is that the connection is not completed by sprint.

Any suggestions?
    After a couple of frustrations, I finally got the wireless modem software to work yesterday. In the hope of helping others out, here are a few pointers...

My setup: a USB connection, Treo300, Sprint vision, PB800DVI, and OS X 10.2.1.

I followed the steps of scott's instructions in this thread EXACTLY. The only step that was messing me up before was that you have to go to System Prefs->Network->USB Modem->PPP->PPP Options->and then UNCHECK "use TCP compression"

This step is in the wireless modem instructions. I just didn't read carefully enough. Instead, I had unchecked "use error checking and compression in modem" from the USB Modem -> Modem tab. You can leave the "error checking and compression" on, I guess"

Also, I could not get the wireless modem to work with the included "Treo" script. However, it did work with the "au cdmaOne C4135 by Sony" modem script (in the network-> usb modem -> modem tab pulldown menu) . I have no idea why this is.

For debugging purposes, it is extremely helpful to check "verbose logging" in the PPP options and then look at the connection log window in the Internet Connection app. But probably everyone knew that.

Great job, Scott! Keep up the good work!

-- archon fung
    Still attempting in vain to get a decent connection, for whatever reason when my connection says 9600, it means it... VERY slow response. (I tried using the Standard 56000 modem, 9600 and the Sprint PCS modem driver included with the connection manager but it doesn't appear to make a difference)

After looking around some logs it seems that dialing #777 returns a simply CONNECT message without any speed. I think this is confusing XP and it simply defaults to 9600 under such circumstances.... I'm going to attempt to edit the modem config files today and see if I can "force" a higher connection speed.

looking at my version of wirelessmodem:
    Date: July 3 2002 (8:36:01)

is this the build everyone is using?

thanks again
    BT
    Hi everyone.

I have been following this tread very closely, but I am getting very confused.

When everyone posts on "wireless modem", please indicate if you are using it on a Mac or a PC. Some of the setup steps are probably very different and it is hard to follow the reported results.

Thanks
    arfung-

Now that you have it working, how are the speeds?

Scott originally said ~9600, but then said it doubled with the sony modem selection.
    Originally posted by u00mem9
    arfung-

Now that you have it working, how are the speeds?

Scott originally said ~9600, but then said it doubled with the sony modem selection.
    Mac or PC?
    Originally posted by sgruby

Yes. The connect speed you get doesn't necessarily reflect the actual speed. For me, it doesn't even tell me the connect speed. I've seen speeds as high as 45 kbps.

The init string appears to be:

AT&F0E0Q0V1X4S0=0
    Mac or PC?
    Originally posted by arfung
    After a couple of frustrations, I finally got the wireless modem software to work yesterday. In the hope of helping others out, here are a few pointers...

My setup: a USB connection, Treo300, Sprint vision, PB800DVI, and OS X 10.2.1.

I followed the steps of scott's instructions in this thread EXACTLY. The only step that was messing me up before was that you have to go to System Prefs->Network->USB Modem->PPP->PPP Options->and then UNCHECK "use TCP compression"

This step is in the wireless modem instructions. I just didn't read carefully enough. Instead, I had unchecked "use error checking and compression in modem" from the USB Modem -> Modem tab. You can leave the "error checking and compression" on, I guess"

Also, I could not get the wireless modem to work with the included "Treo" script. However, it did work with the "au cdmaOne C4135 by Sony" modem script (in the network-> usb modem -> modem tab pulldown menu) . I have no idea why this is.

For debugging purposes, it is extremely helpful to check "verbose logging" in the PPP options and then look at the connection log window in the Internet Connection app. But probably everyone knew that.

Great job, Scott! Keep up the good work!

-- archon fung
    Mac or PC?
  14.    #34  
    I was finally able to connect to the Sprint network via the treo 300, mac os x 10.2 and w. modem.

Now we need to finalize the connection. I am 1) connected to sprint, 2) UNABLE to view a web page in Internet Explorer.

Any ideas on why there is a connection but no data moving along?
  15.    #35  
    Once I am able to work out the bugs for the W. Modem, I would be happy to write a tutorial with screen shots and host it on our web servers (to supplement the current man. pages) for anyone else who is trying to connect with this.

This is a great product that needs to get out there! How about we help our friend SGRUBY and get the word out?
    Once I am able to work out the bugs for the W. Modem, I would be happy to write a tutorial with screen shots and host it on our web servers (to supplement the current man. pages) for anyone else who is trying to connect with this.

This is a great product that needs to get out there! How about we help our friend SGRUBY and get the word out?
    I am also happy to help to get the product working - but I must say that so far the performance is not acceptable. Especially in comparison to my N400 and data cable.
  17.    #37  
    Originally posted by intractv

I am also happy to help to get the product working - but I must say that so far the performance is not acceptable. Especially in comparison to my N400 and data cable.
    We have to remember that this is a new thing and that it was not intended to work like we want.

This is a very good program and a step in the right direction for a phone that was not designed to work like this.

With that in mind, lets make a new toy...
    Update: did a hard reset, all is well... danger will robinson... it seemed like it was ok... maybe it was something else...
    who knows

my first hard crash on the 300

be careful
    scratch this ---- I think this ****ed up my treo but good!!!
    in a reboot loop!!!

while searching around the web ran accross this interesting program:

http://lthaler.free.fr/irbt.htm

doesn't seem to accomplish anything on the treo but it might be worth a look as it seems to be a generic redirector.....

BT
    Last edited by btsipenyuk; 11/04/2002 at 04:15 PM.

We have to remember that this is a new thing and that it was not intended to work like we want.

This is a very good program and a step in the right direction for a phone that was not designed to work like this.

With that in mind, lets make a new toy...
    I won't touch the intention statement... LOL!

I agree that it is a step in the right direction and I wish to help encourage development.

I am very familiar with Scott's situation and I'm not complaining about the development effort or the lack of official support. I applaud his efforts and I am willing to help in any way I can. I am considering paying for the product for the sole reason of supporting the further development - if it is considered.

At the same time it is important to note the performance lag between Wireless Modem and regular handset / data cable options. Many users don't have the two to compare so I thought I would share my experience.
    First off I am posting from my Powerbook connected to my 300 using the au CDMA1 script. I have been able to stream audio from the yourmaclife site as well as attempt to download the YML extended show via the connection and observed speeds of over 5000 Bytes per sec in IE 5.2. This is not too shabby. I further ran some online connection speed tests and here are the results I am getting:
    73Kbps from the CNET run test site and incredible but 103.7 Kbps from the testyourbandwidth.com site. OK I don't know if it is really that fast but definitely faster than 9.6K. The key is that it seems to be incosistent. I don't know if this is a function of the speed of the Sprint Vision proxy server but this is nearing usable. I really wish there were a way to bypass their proxy server to correct the graphics issues and perhaps consistent speed problems. I am near to buying this little tool and thanks again to Scott.
Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast