Page 19 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91415161718192021222324 ... LastLast
Results 361 to 380 of 552
  1. #361  
    Originally posted by sgruby


    You mean 4 KB/s? This is 32 kbps which is not bad, in my opinion. You're just over half of what 56K can deliver, so I don't think that the serial adapter is what is slowing you down. It is a combination of things, mostly signal strength and the speed of the Treo's processor.

    Yeah, sorry I meant 4KB/s

    I was getting 13KB/s in linux w/ the USB cable. haven't had time to try the serial in linux.

    That is why I was thinking that there might be a tweak out there to get it to go faster.

    Thanks for the great product and support!

    -WZ
  2. #362  
    Great products, both. TreoTools even checks to see if you're talking on the phone when your "turnoff" time is reached.

    Unfortunately, it just hung up my WirelessModem connection. I don't suppose you have an update that checks for WirelessModem?

    Cheers & Thanks for a great product that makes all my friends envious.
  3. #363  
    would it be faster to surf via ir or serial port? what's the difference in speed for either
  4. #364  
    Originally posted by rkassim
    I'm a small time dev, I might be able to work on a USB driver ... its a long shot but it might be worth it..

    I'd need to look over the Mac code to even have an idea how to start... Scott, got some starting posts/codes/ blackbox specifications for the windows usb driver?
    I'm salivating at the very thought of a usb driver. Scott had one express interest, another through a third party, but if the project stalls and those individuals don't have the spare time they thought they would have, perhaps you will get the nod.
    David
  5. #365  
    Just thought some folks might be interested to know that WirelessModem also worked just fine with my IR-enabled Dell laptop and WindowsME. Great product!
  6. #366  
    Originally posted by ahmontgo
    Great products, both. TreoTools even checks to see if you're talking on the phone when your "turnoff" time is reached.

    Unfortunately, it just hung up my WirelessModem connection. I don't suppose you have an update that checks for WirelessModem?

    Cheers & Thanks for a great product that makes all my friends envious.
    I'll see what I can do with the next versions of both products.
  7. #367  
    Originally posted by rkassim
    I'm a small time dev, I might be able to work on a USB driver ... its a long shot but it might be worth it..

    I'd need to look over the Mac code to even have an idea how to start... Scott, got some starting posts/codes/ blackbox specifications for the windows usb driver?
    Unfortunately the Mac code is going to be of zero use to you as it is 100% Mac specific. I used some sample code for a USB Serial driver as a basis (it was 90% of the work). Basically the driver must do the following:

    1) Talk to the Treo over USB
    2) Driver must show up as a COM port

    Some of the Linux stuff may be a good starting point; the Mac driver is a big mess and I'm surprised it works :-)

    There was a reference to some Windows sample code that talks to USB Point of Sale devices, but the code is outdated and no longer available.

    I wish I could be of more help, but the concept is pretty simple.

    If you do make progress, please drop an email to developers@notifymail.com and let me know and maybe we can work out a deal.

    Thanks.
  8. #368  
    So in the simplest terms, it needs to "convert" a USB port into a COM port and be able to use a windows modem attached to it...

    one problem that jumps out is that the treo isnt added as a device until you sync... how was this problem dealt with in the mac version?


    ooh, just had an idea.

    What if Wmodem actually established itself as a connect device over USB (just like every other USB device, and the Treo while H/syncing) does, and just identify itself as a USB modem... that might solve a lot of problems and it would work for the mac too... just a though
    Last edited by rkassim; 12/30/2002 at 01:49 AM.
  9. #369  
    I can't believe this!!!

    I bought the necessary cables (usb > serial converter cable and serial sync cable for treo) and after a couple of hours of installing & tweaking I was up and running at 51.6k via my Treo modem!!! I am using Windows XP Professional

    Scott - thank you so much for your support...this is just INCREDIBLE!!! I will be registering the software as soon as I've done enough testing to feel confident that this will work for me consistently.

    THANKS AGAIN!!!

    -Yvonne
  10. #370  
    Originally posted by rkassim
    So in the simplest terms, it needs to "convert" a USB port into a COM port and be able to use a windows modem attached to it...

    one problem that jumps out is that the treo isnt added as a device until you sync... how was this problem dealt with in the mac version?


    ooh, just had an idea.

    What if Wmodem actually established itself as a connect device over USB (just like every other USB device, and the Treo while H/syncing) does, and just identify itself as a USB modem... that might solve a lot of problems and it would work for the mac too... just a though
    Unfortunately Handspring didn't make the Treo a USB CDC (Communications device class) device. WirelessModem simply acts as a pass through allowing the desktop to talk directly to the phone module.

    When you tap Enable Modem in WirelessModem, it will register on the bus. So in the Mac version, the driver is loaded and then when the Treo pops up, it uses the loaded driver.
  11. #371  
    Have any of you guys played with the Spring 3G modem driver rather than using the 56K V.90 driver? (for windows)

    I have been playing with it, but cannot get a noticable speed increase.. It does, however, allow me to use hardware error correction and everything else though.. I could not get the V.90 one to work w/ it


    -WZ
  12. #372  
    Hi,

    I get connected via my Treo modem just fine (windows xp professinoal), but after a minute I seem to lose the DNS even though still connected. I inevitably start getting the "cannot find server" page...sometimes it comes back, but sometimes I have to disconnect & reconnect. Could this be a configuration problem that I can fix? It seems to happen both with weaker and stronger signal strengths.

    Thanks,
    Yvonne
  13. #373  
    Originally posted by itsyvonne
    Hi,

    I get connected via my Treo modem just fine (windows xp professinoal), but after a minute I seem to lose the DNS even though still connected. I inevitably start getting the "cannot find server" page...sometimes it comes back, but sometimes I have to disconnect & reconnect. Could this be a configuration problem that I can fix? It seems to happen both with weaker and stronger signal strengths.

    Thanks,
    Yvonne
    I had this issue for a couple of days. What eventually happened was my Treo connected to the Vision network, then it immediately complained that there were too many connections and requested that I try again, or log out and log back in to the network again. It didn't matter where I was or how many times I tried to access the network.

    Apparently, something became corrupt with my network settings, because when I contacted Sprint, they sent me to level 2 support, then they updated some network settings on my phone by having me connect to Sprint Provisioning. I was able to connect again right afterward. You may or may not have the same problem I had.
  14. #374  
    does Spring 3G modem driver work via USB? whered you get this driver?

    If it registers on the bus, cant it "annouce" a device type / name? When I had it connected via USB on my WinXp box, hitting enable didnt make a device appear.

    Wait, didnt switch it to usb.. yeah it annouces it across the bus.. it sees it as a Handheld... cant it annouce its another device?
  15. #375  
    got wirelessmodem up and working with Dell 5000 laptop over IR in less than an hour. Would have been quicker, but had to figure out how to enable the IR port. Dell disables by default, had to go to the bios hardware setup.

    Anyway, initial DSLreports.com test indicates about 20Kbps download. Not great but ok for email and even streaming of NPR.

    I'll be registering soon - GREAT PRODUCT!

    Can't wait for the USB driver. I'll be happy to pay for it when it's ready.

    Don
  16. #376  
    I haven't read all the posts here so please forgive if I missed something, but can anyone tell me if this summary of the situation is correct or not-


    1. If you want to have web acess via your laptop you can either connect via your Treo 300 or via Sierra or Merlin card.

    2. If done so via Treo 300, it is best, if not essential, to do so with a ~Mac~ laptop

    3. The best speed one can expect via this method is about 30K

    4. With this method on the Sprint PCS Vision plan one can have unlimited web acess for as little as $30 a month

    5. However, if one wants faster downloads, and doesn't necessarily care about having a Treo for it's other functions, one should go with the Sierra or Merlin cards, in which case unlimited downloads on Vision plan cost $100 a month, but are faster at 60 to 70K (and in theory at 144K soon ?)

    Bottom line for me is I have bought nothing yet, neither Treo nor I Book laptop, so am a "clean slate" wondering which method is more cost effective. I don't really need the Treo's PDA or phone functions, but it would be cool if it would do as an ocassional stand alone device for checking email I supose. And the idea of unlimited web acess for as little as $30 a month is appealing.
    Last edited by Procyon; 01/01/2003 at 02:24 PM.
  17. #377  
    Originally posted by rkassim
    does Spring 3G modem driver work via USB? whered you get this driver?

    If it registers on the bus, cant it "annouce" a device type / name? When I had it connected via USB on my WinXp box, hitting enable didnt make a device appear.

    Wait, didnt switch it to usb.. yeah it annouces it across the bus.. it sees it as a Handheld... cant it annouce its another device?
    The only way to get it to announce itself as a different device would have been for Handspring to make it a CDC (communications device class) compliant USB modem. The Kyocera 7135 will register itself as a handheld or a CDC compliant modem depending on which program you run on the device. Handspring apparently didn't think that using the Treo as a modem was high on the priority list.

    As an aside, when I worked at QUALCOMM (I did the initial user interface work on the pDQ phone which eventually became the Kyocera 6035), using the phone as a modem was extremely high on the priority list and built into the product from day one.
  18. #378  
    Originally posted by itsyvonne
    Hi,

    I get connected via my Treo modem just fine (windows xp professinoal), but after a minute I seem to lose the DNS even though still connected. I inevitably start getting the "cannot find server" page...sometimes it comes back, but sometimes I have to disconnect & reconnect. Could this be a configuration problem that I can fix? It seems to happen both with weaker and stronger signal strengths.

    Thanks,
    Yvonne
    Yvonne,

    I'm having the same problem. I email Scott, but I haven't gotten a response yet. I haven't had a chance to test in the last 2 days, but I will probably have some free time this weekend. If you make any progress, please post it, and I'll do the same. I have a similar configurations as you, I'm running xp pro on my laptop and I'm connected to my treo via a serial cable.
  19. #379  
    Originally posted by itsyvonne
    Hi,

    I get connected via my Treo modem just fine (windows xp professinoal), but after a minute I seem to lose the DNS even though still connected. I inevitably start getting the "cannot find server" page...sometimes it comes back, but sometimes I have to disconnect & reconnect. Could this be a configuration problem that I can fix? It seems to happen both with weaker and stronger signal strengths.

    Thanks,
    Yvonne
    It might also be more than a "DNS" issue. It could be a general network problem. You can test that by trying to access a website by IP address rather than by name. For example the IP for www.treocentral.com is 209.208.114.108. Try using
    http://209.208.114.108 in IE to see if you can reach the site.

    If that doesn't work it's a network problem in general and not only DNS. Try the following to get a new address from Sprint.

    Open a command prompt and type
    ipconfig /release <enter>
    ipconfig /renew <enter>

    This will release the DHCP address that you pulled from the Sprint network and then get a new one. If this solves the problem it's probably something with Sprint.

    If you can reach the site by IP address it is a DNS problem.

    Try to ping the IP address of the DNS server. To get the IP of the DNS server type the following at the command prompt.

    ipconfig /all

    This will list all of IP information for you configured network devices including your modem. In the area for your modem there should be a area that lists the IPs of the DNS server(s).

    To ping the server type at a command prompt

    ping IP address

    This will let you know if you can reach the DNS server at least on a basic level. It doesn't mean the server is working just that your packets can reach it. Also I'm not 100% positive the ping will work anyway since Sprint may block ping (can someone else confirm this?).

    Just some ideas. I do not think this is really a Wireless modem problem so if you want some additional help from me we should take this to email.
  20. #380  
    Originally posted by WFTarHeel


    Yvonne,

    I'm having the same problem. I email Scott, but I haven't gotten a response yet. I haven't had a chance to test in the last 2 days, but I will probably have some free time this weekend. If you make any progress, please post it, and I'll do the same. I have a similar configurations as you, I'm running xp pro on my laptop and I'm connected to my treo via a serial cable.
    Please do not email me for support of WirelessModem. As stated on the WirelessModem website "This software is offered WITHOUT support. Please make sure that the demo version works before purchasing. The demo version is IDENTICAL to the purchased version. Please do NOT contact us for support. "


    You can find assistance through these forums and on the WirelessModem users list (hosted at my website).

    Thanks.

Posting Permissions