Page 18 of 28 FirstFirst ... 81314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
    Do you tihnk I should go from my IR to a serial connection? I have a USB/Serial adapter. I perfer the hard connection instead of the IR which can be interrupted if moved. Do you think there's a performance gain with serial? I still do not know the bandwith limitations of IR, I do know that when hotsyncing over IR it takes for bloody ever (way slower then my serial i300 ever took).
    Originally posted by BrianV
    Do you tihnk I should go from my IR to a serial connection? I have a USB/Serial adapter. I perfer the hard connection instead of the IR which can be interrupted if moved. Do you think there's a performance gain with serial? I still do not know the bandwith limitations of IR, I do know that when hotsyncing over IR it takes for bloody ever (way slower then my serial i300 ever took).
    If cost isn't an issue and you like the hard physical connection, then serial might be the way to go. However, I'm not sure if you'll see a performance gain (I haven't tested IR, yet). (The USB/Serial adapter is $30-$50 and the HotSync cable is $30, so that's an extra $60-$80 to use serial if all you have is USB.)
    Well, after getting a 2.4.20 patch, I've got linux talking to my treo ok. I send an AT, get an OK, dial, get a ppp string, 'connect', but then get:

pppd: Received bad configure-nak/rej: 03 06
    44 18 56 3a 81 06 44 1c 32 0b 83 06 44 1c 3a 0b 02 06 00 2d 03 00

a bunch of times in /var/log/messages... i've tried with a very basic ifcfg-ppp0 with just flowcontrol turned off, and with a redhat 8 x network config program generated ppp0 with basic settings (no flowctl, no compression)... but always the same message and no link up. Has anyone gotten it to work w/linux? Anyone have any ideas?
    Thanks,
    brad
    Originally posted by sgruby

If cost isn't an issue and you like the hard physical connection, then serial might be the way to go. However, I'm not sure if you'll see a performance gain (I haven't tested IR, yet). (The USB/Serial adapter is $30-$50 and the HotSync cable is $30, so that's an extra $60-$80 to use serial if all you have is USB.)
    I already have the adapter, I used to use it with my I300, so the cost would only be the $30. I'd like to see a performance comparison, and it may look like I'll be the one supplying that.
    Scott, do you have any sort of file that says what is changed in each version? I still have 1.08, just noticed that 1.09 is available; curious to see what the changes are.

Thanks
    Hello all,

I just tried using Scott's software and I had some problems, probably related to the com port. I was hoping that some people here would be able to help me out.

I'm running Win2k on an IBM Thinkpad T22.

When I installed IrCOMM2k, I wasn't able to select COM3 because it was in use. I instead chose COM2. After that IrCOMM2k said that it created a virtual port COM6.

So, I then created the Standard 56kv90 modem on COM6. I followed all of the other instructions on Scott's website, but I was not able to connect. I get a message saying something like "modem not there". None of the activity lights go on on WirelessModem either.

Oh yeah, also, when I create the modem...COM3 is my normal landline modem. I chose the COM6 modem instead. There is also an infrared modem port, SERIAL 1-0.

Any ideas?!

Thanks
    -Paul
    Originally posted by BrianV
    Scott, do you have any sort of file that says what is changed in each version? I still have 1.08, just noticed that 1.09 is available; curious to see what the changes are.

Thanks
    ----------
    Fixed: Issues with registration

----------
    New: Treo screen dims 15 seconds after enabling and undims when disabled.

----------
    Changed: No longer puts in HotSync name by default in registration dialog
    Fixed: Hopefully fixed issue with debug mode that would lock the Treo if the buffer size was
    greater than 3K.
    New: User is now warned that they are using debug mode and that it could crash the Treo.

----------
    Changed: Application now expires
    New: Added buffer size in advanced settings
    Changed: Uses a different buffer size
    New: Activity lights
    New: Debugging data

----------
    Changed: Increased max speed to 230,400

----------
    Fixed: Username can now be 255 characters.
    Hey all, nevermind about the com problem I posted earlier.

Here's what was different with my installation.

- when installing ircomm2k, it shows that com3 is already in use. So, I chose the first available COM port (COM2). When the installation finishes, I get a window saying that a new virtual COM6 port has been created

- when creating the modem, you have to choose COM6 (the newly created virtual port) as your modem

- when creating the new connection, choose the COM6 modem

That was it! All the other instructions went well. Again, this is for Windows 2000.

Another question...I've read how people are getting insane speeds with this (+56k). I only get about 27k (according to dslreports.com). I've adjusted the buffer size to the largest possible, and set both numbers for the pda and laptop ports to the largest possible as well. I still only get about 20k. Any other tips on how to increase speed?

Also, when I connect, it says "Connected at 9.6 kpbs." What are other ppl getting?

Thanks
    -Paul
    Originally posted by pc132

Another question...I've read how people are getting insane speeds with this (+56k). I only get about 27k (according to dslreports.com). I've adjusted the buffer size to the largest possible, and set both numbers for the pda and laptop ports to the largest possible as well. I still only get about 20k. Any other tips on how to increase speed?

Also, when I connect, it says "Connected at 9.6 kpbs." What are other ppl getting?

Thanks
    -Paul
    The connect speed is bogus; Windows is not very smart and when the modem returns a CONNECT message (without the speed), it assumes 9600. So it is connecting faster.

As for speeds, they seem to be all over the board depending on time of day, network load, signal strength, etc.
    I'm using Windows XP and have set up my modem using Scott's instructions including forcing the modem driver.

My dslreports.com speeds are averaging 37 down and 40 up.
    Scott,

The check's in the (e)mail. I finally broke down and got a USB to Serial adapter and after a lot of tweaking am live on my laptop via my Treo. (I couldn't wait for the USB driver but I'll buy that too once it's developed!) Thanks for the awesome work and your constant patience with the rest of us!
    I followed Scotts instructions to a Tee. I'm using my Treo 300 on my HP laptop, XP home, serial port (Com1). When I launch the dialer I see the laptop light on the Wireless modem app on the Treo light up. I've double checked the baud rates on everywhere and both Standard modems (standard 56000 and V90). But the Dialer on my XP laptop errors out with 692: There was a hardware failure in the modem. The only thing I can figure is maybe it is the Serial Hotsync cable. I picked up one from Staples but they didn't have any HotSync cables spcefically for the Treo 300. The only serial HotSync cable was for the Treo 270,180, 180g, and 90. I figured they all the same and would give it a try vs. waiting for it to be delivered as I need it by this weekend.

Question: should I be using only the Serial HotSync cable from the Handspring website specifically for the Treo 300? I'm sure it's been asked somewhere in the 24 pages of this thread already but can't find it.
    I received the exact same message at first. After changing the modem speed in the 3-4 places XP stores them, I still received the 692. So, I did a soft reset on the treo, logged off of wirelss and then back on. Badda boom badda bang. Connection.

Hopefully this will work for you!
    I had the same problems and went through the soft reset on the Treo but also reloaded the Standard Modem Driver as described in an earlier (5 or so above) post. I can't remember the order of all these things but I was getting the error messages and finally got it to work. My suggestion, reload the driver, reset the Treo, reboot the PC, make sure the HotSync is off and try try again. I'm using it right now and it rocks. i.e. It's worth the effort.

BTW, MAKE SURE YOU ADD A "#" IN FRONT OF THE PHONE NUMBER. i.e. "#777" NOT "777"
    Last edited by newtreo; 12/19/2002 at 08:59 AM.
    So I woke up this morning to tryout the suggestions and sad to say the demo expired after only 8 hours. dammit.

I did try the two different modems, standard and v90. Tried reseting Treo, disabled HotSync on the PC.

What are the other modem speed settings on XP you speak of? I find only the settings in the dialer itself.
    Originally posted by microview
    I followed Scotts instructions to a Tee. I'm using my Treo 300 on my HP laptop, XP home, serial port (Com1). When I launch the dialer I see the laptop light on the Wireless modem app on the Treo light up. I've double checked the baud rates on everywhere and both Standard modems (standard 56000 and V90). But the Dialer on my XP laptop errors out with 692: There was a hardware failure in the modem. The only thing I can figure is maybe it is the Serial Hotsync cable. I picked up one from Staples but they didn't have any HotSync cables spcefically for the Treo 300. The only serial HotSync cable was for the Treo 270,180, 180g, and 90. I figured they all the same and would give it a try vs. waiting for it to be delivered as I need it by this weekend.

Question: should I be using only the Serial HotSync cable from the Handspring website specifically for the Treo 300? I'm sure it's been asked somewhere in the 24 pages of this thread already but can't find it.
    That's the cable I bought on Sundary (it says 270/180/180g/90) and it works fine with the Treo 300.

I suggest you double check the maximum speed and initialization strings. Also, if you delete the modem and dial up settings you created and start over, it might help.
    I have a wallstreet G3 which doesn't have usb so I'm trying to get the IR to work. I have tried following the usb steps in the docs and substituting IR for USB where applicable, to no avail. Verbose logging on the Mac shows that I am not getting an 'OK' code for any init strings, so I think either I have something set up wrong or my IR port on the Mac is hosed. Are there step by step instructions for using IR on a Mac with 10.2?

All tips appreciated. I've been fighting with this literally all day long!
    Is it possible w/ any tweaks to get the serial adapter for the 300 to work at something higher than 56k right now?

I'm getting about 4k/s with it right now.

Anyone else able to do better?

Thanks,

-WZ
    Originally posted by wz_man
    Is it possible w/ any tweaks to get the serial adapter for the 300 to work at something higher than 56k right now?

I'm getting about 4k/s with it right now.

Anyone else able to do better?

Thanks,

-WZ
    You mean 4 KB/s? This is 32 kbps which is not bad, in my opinion. You're just over half of what 56K can deliver, so I don't think that the serial adapter is what is slowing you down. It is a combination of things, mostly signal strength and the speed of the Treo's processor.
    I'm a small time dev, I might be able to work on a USB driver ... its a long shot but it might be worth it..

I'd need to look over the Mac code to even have an idea how to start... Scott, got some starting posts/codes/ blackbox specifications for the windows usb driver?

Just got it workting btw... I think the V90 driver helps some because you have to turn off flow control in the advanced settings of the regular driver.. I changed it to OFF, I should try XON XOFF later... You need to set the max bitrate for the modem im the modem properties to 56, i got corrupted characters on my treo if it was at the default 128 (even if the modem was told to connect slower)

Nice job Scott! I'm having performance issues but i suspect its the connection here (7kb/s down, 22kb/s up) (yes kb, not kB) ... any thoughts on an extern antenna?