Page 17 of 28 FirstFirst ... 7121314151617181920212227 ... LastLast
    Very cool! I went ahead and got my TREO 300 from amazon yesterday ($200 off!). Everything has gone very smoothly on my Titanium 800.

Just ran Wireless Modem for the first time. I'm inside a defense contractor building where pre-TREO cell phone use was very limited. After a couple of tries, my USB modem finally showed up (not sure what sequence of events I did to get it to show up finally), and Bada-Bing! Connected!
    I've got one little bitty bar on my connection but bandwidthplace.com shows me at 89K! Very impressive.

Nice work with this product!

Phil
    Originally posted by backwerd
    not arron

mike the acutall creator

sweet you found a developer willing to do it

thats awsome

mike said email him if you need him.

Thanks for the contact info; I've sent him email and he's going to get back to me. Hopefully with 2 people (potentially) working on it, we can see this sooner.
    Originally posted by sgruby

Thanks for the contact info; I've sent him email and he's going to get back to me. Hopefully with 2 people (potentially) working on it, we can see this sooner.
    thats what im hoping

the sooner the better
    I messaged jshrieve abou this, but in case he didn't see the little message icon, or in case someone else knows: is it possible to get wirelessmodem working well with USB under linux? I tried with stock 2.4.18, no-go... jshrieve mentioned some alpha drivers - these getting close? do they provide good performance? i'd love to use my linux laptop w/wireless internet . and of course would buy wireless modem if it worked!
    Originally posted by yumbrad
    I messaged jshrieve abou this, but in case he didn't see the little message icon, or in case someone else knows: is it possible to get wirelessmodem working well with USB under linux? I tried with stock 2.4.18, no-go... jshrieve mentioned some alpha drivers - these getting close? do they provide good performance? i'd love to use my linux laptop w/wireless internet . and of course would buy wireless modem if it worked!
    There's a reference at: <http://www.notifymail.com/pipermail/...er/000005.html> with a contact name for someone working on Linux drivers.
    Originally posted by teevah1
    Here is what I have after 15 mins of playing:

I was able to connect with a serial cable on 98 machine. Had to change the port speed to 19000 and used 33600 modem driver standard. Connected and surfed internet while it was slow glad to see it working. Then I bumped up to 38,400 with same driver speed was a little faster. Going to try more but for now it seems to work with the serial cable. Great Work Scott if all goes well will purchase software by the end of the week.

Are you using treo 300?
    if so, where can i buy the serial cable? and where can i download the software?
    thank you much.
    The serial cable can be purchased directly from Handspring.

The software can be purchased directly from Scott - it's creator: http://www.notifymail.com/palm/
    Originally posted by varoomba
    The serial cable can be purchased directly from Handspring.

The software can be purchased directly from Scott - it's creator: http://www.notifymail.com/palm/
    Thank you much for responding. does the software now provide easy steps for installation, or do i need to experiment like you? im a layman..
    thanks again.
    Under WinXP, does Wirelessmodem work with the standard serial hotsync cable, or is a different serial cable required? Also, has anyone tried using a usb to serial converter with the serial cable? Seems to me that it should work, since WXP views the port created by the converter as a standard serial port.

Sorry if these questions have been asked before but this is a very long thread! Thanks, Jim
    BBBMMM: The documentation link on the download page provides detailed step by step instructions. If you get stuck, someone from this forum will probably return the help you're needing if you post it.

Jim: Yes, it is the standard serial hot sync cable provided by HandSpring. Also, yes, some have noted that usb/serial adapters have worked without any problem. There are several mentions of this throughout this thread. The best may be the 11-19-2002 06:21 PM post by junochoe.

Good luck and make sure to be fair to Scott and pay your $35 !

If you really like it, give him a Christmas bonus...
    Thanks for the info. One last question, how about knockoff serial cables, like those available on eBay? Anyone have any experience with those?
    Originally posted by jimfenn
    Under WinXP, does Wirelessmodem work with the standard serial hotsync cable, or is a different serial cable required? Also, has anyone tried using a usb to serial converter with the serial cable? Seems to me that it should work, since WXP views the port created by the converter as a standard serial port.

Sorry if these questions have been asked before but this is a very long thread! Thanks, Jim
    I just picked up a Serial HotSync Cable for the Treo from Staples today ($29.99) and will be updating the documentation in the next few days to (hopefully) adddress using WirelessModem with the serial HotSync cable. I have Windows 98 and Windows 2000 to work with, so the documentation will only cover these. It should be close (I hope) for Windows XP. Also, I will try to address using a USB to serial adapter. I have a Keyspand High Speed Serial Adapter (it has drivers for all flavors of Windows).

While using a serial cable and possible a USB to serial adapter isn't the cheapest solution for connecting a Treo to a laptop and using it as a wireless modem, it will work.
    After some tinkering, I have successfully set up Wireless Modem and my Win XP laptop. DSLREPORTS.COM are clocking my up and download speeds between 35-40K. My signal strenght is 2 bars. Not to shabby!

Also, for those who are hooking up their Treo via a serial cable, you might find the following modifications to Scott's instructions helpful (his were written with an IR Port connection in mind).

1. Download WirelessModem and sync it into the Treo.

1.5 Turn off the HotSync manager when you install this to make sure it will not conflict with the port. To do this, right click the HotSync icon in the tray (the lower right corner of your screen) and select "Exit".

Step 2 not necessary if connecting via a serial port.

2. Install an IR COM port on the Windows machine. This is a driver that allows the computer to access a modem through the Infrared port. Download a free one from here: http://www.stud.uni-hannover.de/~kis...ish/index.html and follow the installation instructions.

3. Create a new Modem: Start > Settings> Control Panel> Phone and Modem Options> Modems( tab)> Add..> select "Don't detect my modem; I will select it from a list" > Next> select (Standard Modem Types)> select "Standard 56000bps Modem"> Next>select "COM3"> Next> Finish
    If using a serial port, select COM port used – rather than COM3 for infrared

4. (Some users have reported needing this step; others haven't needed it) Now we need to change the modem to the new V90 modem. Goto Control Panel->System->Hardware->Device Manager and open up the "Standard 56000 kps Modem". With that open, goto the Driver tab and click on 'update driver...'. Tell it that you want to select from a list and click next, then not to search for a driver and click next, then decheck 'show compatible hardware'. At this point, if you scroll down under '(Standard Modem Types)', you will see "Standard 56000 kps V90 Modem". Go ahead and select it and install it.

5. Create a new Connection: Start > Settings> Control Panel> Network and Dial-up Connections> Make new Connection. The Network Connection Wizard will launch. Select Connect to the network at my workplace > Dial-up connection >Modem – Standard 56000 bps V90 Modem (COM_)
    Enter "#777" as the phone #> select to make it available just for yourself or for everyone (it doesn't matter)> Give it a name such as "Treo modem"

6. On the “Treo Modem Properties” window:
    __A. click on the “General” tab.
    ____1) Highlight “Modem – Standard 56000 bps V90 Modem (COM_)” & verify that it (and only it) is checked
    ____2) Insert phone number:"#777" if it isn't there
    ____3) Uncheck “All devices call the same number”.
    ____4) Click on “Configure”: unselect "Enable hardware flow control" and set maximum speed to 57600
    __B. Under the "Networking" tab, make sure that "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" is checked (and that only it is checked). Highlight this protocol and select Properties> Advanced> and unselect "Use IP Header Compression"

Setting up your Treo
    1. Launch WirelessModem and set Laptop Port as IRComm / Serial at 57600 and PDA Port as Wireless Modem at 57600.

2. Pull down the menu with the command key and select "Advanced Setup..." and increase the Buffer Size to at least 8192.

To make a connection with the Treo
    1. Turn-off the Hot Sync manager (To do this, right click the HotSync icon in the"tray" in the lower right of your screen and select "Exit".)

2. Launch WirelessModem on the Treo and select "Yes" for "Enable Modem"

3. Line the top of the Treo with your notebook computer's IR port (Windows should detect a link). / or connect the treo to your serial port

4. Launch (Connect) the new modem you created (either from "Network and Dial-up Connections" off of the "Control Panel" or "Network and Dial-up Connections" from "Settings" off the Start button.)

TIP: If your connection does not happen: 1) double check to make sure that the baud rates in all the modem settings are the same as those of the treo WirelessModem settings; 2) Perform a reset on your Treo (using the hole in the back of the treo).
    All I can say is AWESOME. This is great. I'm listening to the real audio of last week's episode of Prarie Home Companion while reviewing these posts on Treocentral at the same time.

RealAudoio works great at these speeds even while accessing other data online (within reason).

Way to go Scott.

This rocks !

Tomorrow I will finally have the ability to listen to internet radio and real audio in my car. Who cares about satelite radio when you could have internet radio!
    Originally posted by varoomba
    After some tinkering, I have successfully set up Wireless Modem and my Win XP laptop. DSLREPORTS.COM are clocking my up and download speeds between 35-40K. My signal strenght is 2 bars. Not to shabby!

Also, for those who are hooking up their Treo via a serial cable, you might find the following modifications to Scott's instructions helpful (his were written with an IR Port connection in mind).

Thanks for figuring this out and posting it; I'll update the documentation to reflect this and hopefully will figure out how to get serial to work for both Win98 and Win2000 and put those instructions in the documentation, also.
    Hey!

I've been like lovin this IR port thang - connecting to my Treo using Scott's Wireless Modem.

I have velcro'd the back of my Treo to the top of my Dell Laptop so that when the Laptop is open, the Treo is upside down and has the IR port in-sight-line with the IR port of my Dell.

THis way - I/you don't have to worry about the Treo moving or dealing with it if you are on a plane or something and have no room.

Just a tip!

Thank God for Velcro-

GR
    My trial expires tomorrow, so I bought the product, great job Scott!!!
    I've posted instructions for configuring Windows 98 to work with WirelessModem using a serial cable at: <http://www.notifymail.com/palm/wmodem/help.htm>

I verified these settings myself, so they should work OK. I used a stock Windows 98 machine to put together the instructions.

(It only took me a few hours to figure out how to get it to work...Windows 98 seems to put all the options in a bunch of different places!)

I've also posted Windows 2000/XP instructions for the serial cable at the same place; however, I have not personally verified them.
    Originally posted by jimfenn

While I haven't tried Windows XP, others have and have verified that the standard serial HotSync cable works.

I've just verified that Windows 98 and Windows 2000 work fine with the standard serial HotSync cable and have also verified that these 2 operating systems work fine connecting via a Keyspan USB High Speed serial adapter. I've updated the documentation at: <http://www.notifymail.com/palm/wmodem/help.htm> with instructions for these 2 operating systems with and without the USB to serial adapter.

The major issue I've discovered with Windows is that all the necessary options are spread out all over the place and you have to know where to look to configure them correctly. Now that I've configured this via a serial HotSync cable, I should be able to be a little more helpful.
    I got the serial cable from staples and I've tested my modem using Win 95/98/2000/xp about a week or so ago and all worked great. Some took a little more tweaking then others but they were all fairly easy to setup.
    Dan