Page 16 of 28 FirstFirst ... 6111213141516171819202126 ... LastLast
  1.    #301  
    Hi Scott!

I just bought a Sanyo 5300 for my better half and even tho it is not palm os I wanted to know if there was a way to make a USB driver / dialer that would work with her connection cable?

I thougth abotu using the TCP/IP method but have not tried it. I also heard a rummor that there may be a Mac version of Sprints data connection software. Any ideas?

THANKS!

Oh yeah. Mac OS 9.
    Last edited by hbsr17; 12/04/2002 at 11:03 PM.
    <b>The difficult is easy, the impossible takes time.</b>
    Originally posted by sgruby
    So far 100 people haven't bought WirelessModem, so I'm not sure what you've proposed is going to fly :-)
    Oh I think so. For every mac laptop owner on the board there are probably ten windows laptop owners. Thanksgiving papers had ads for multiple $699 laptops and one $649 laptop at Frys. These are new, have 1.5ghz Celerons, 20mb hardrives, 128 or 256k ram, and since they are the 'el cheapos' for connectivity they have USB, no serial, no irda. Windows XP home preloaded, of course. However, not everyone wants to mess with init strings. They want a wireless usb modem driver and a relatively painless setup procedure. Just wait. This is just one thread, on one board. When we find someone to write the windows usb driver the news will spread like wildfire to other boards.
    David

As of today, either no Windows developer wants to undertake this, or it is just too hard on Windows to do this. I suspect the former. It took me weeks to get the Mac driver working for the Treo 300 and this was using sample code as most of the base.

So far 100 people haven't bought WirelessModem, so I'm not sure what you've proposed is going to fly :-)
    ...maybe everyone's waiting for the USB driver! ;-)
    Originally posted by newtreo

...maybe everyone's waiting for the USB driver! ;-)
    At this point, I think that it is too hard to write a Windows USB driver so no one has been able to do it. I'd love to see someone prove me wrong, but I'm not holding my breath.
    Just wanted to let you know we just "voted" 4 times .
    Thanks for an awesome product,
    Dan
    Just got WirelessModem working on my Jaguar-powered Mac. Posting via my Treo connection right now. Even streaming a 24kps channel via iTunes (SomaFM's Groove Salad) while I surf with no skips.

Oh, and I also just bought the software, so I put my money where my mouth is. Thanks for developing this great little application.
    Now that I got this working and already feel like I can't live without it, I just have one question.

What does Sprint think about this? Do they consider it an appropriate use of the unlimited data over the Vision network....or will they get all pissy about it and try to charge us more $$$ for using this application to access the Internet?

Hoping for the former.
    Originally posted by Count Zero
    Now that I got this working and already feel like I can't live without it, I just have one question.

What does Sprint think about this? Do they consider it an appropriate use of the unlimited data over the Vision network....or will they get all pissy about it and try to charge us more $$$ for using this application to access the Internet?

Hoping for the former.
    I suspect the latter; my guess is that they'll want us to go to the $99/month unlimited data plan.
    I just purchased mine. Well actually, it's my Christmas gift
    Thanks for everyone's help, and thanks for developing.
    I will use it primarily on a WinXP laptop.
    Hi all,

I am a fan of WirelessModem and use it often. My recent Sprint PCS bill was interesting in how they billed me for connections made via the WirelessModem:

1) As expected, the #777 number was 3G connection which is unlimited for me. Cool.

2) Calls to my company via RAS using an 800 number was billed as Wireless Web minutes.

3) Calls to my ISP on a local number was also billed as Wireless Web minutes.

Wireless web minutes are not counted among the unlimited minutes nor Vision, so I got dinged an extra $28 for 73 minutes. I will call Sprint PCS to complain naturally, but just thought you ought to know!

Eug
    This forum has just made me very interested in the Treo 300 again. One of my main reasons for purchasing would be to hook up my Powerbook to surf and check email on SPRINT network.

From the threads, it looks like I can do this through a USB cable to the TREO using the WirelessModem software and that these minutes will be included in the Sprint Vision unlimited plan. Is there a cable/only connector available for the Treo so that I don't have to carry around a hot-synch cable cradle?

I have been waiting for the Kyocera 7135 due to the bluetooth option but it is horribly delayed, seems bigger than I would like and the Treo is available now for about $300.

Thanks for any help/replies.

Phil
    Originally posted by luvmytreo
    Hi all,

I am a fan of WirelessModem and use it often. My recent Sprint PCS bill was interesting in how they billed me for connections made via the WirelessModem:

1) As expected, the #777 number was 3G connection which is unlimited for me. Cool.

2) Calls to my company via RAS using an 800 number was billed as Wireless Web minutes.

3) Calls to my ISP on a local number was also billed as Wireless Web minutes.

Wireless web minutes are not counted among the unlimited minutes nor Vision, so I got dinged an extra $28 for 73 minutes. I will call Sprint PCS to complain naturally, but just thought you ought to know!

Eug
    This isn't surprising (at least to me) as Sprint has to tie up a landline modem when you dial a regular data number, so you should have to pay for this (in my opinion). When you call a modem, your laptop makes the connection over the air to the Sprint base station. The base station in turns, has to allocate a regular modem and dial out to the modem number you've specified. Also, this is why it will be slower than Vision as you can't transfer data faster than the modem at Sprint can go.

Sorry you got hit with those extra charges.

This isn't surprising (at least to me) as Sprint has to tie up a landline modem when you dial a regular data number, so you should have to pay for this (in my opinion). When you call a modem, your laptop makes the connection over the air to the Sprint base station. The base station in turns, has to allocate a regular modem and dial out to the modem number you've specified. Also, this is why it will be slower than Vision as you can't transfer data faster than the modem at Sprint can go.

Sorry you got hit with those extra charges.
    Actually, I don't mind if they charge me by using up my paid-for minutes. But they actually charge me extra, above and beyond my minutes. I think the modem call should be treated like a voice call, shouldn't it? Maybe I'm missing something here?!
    Originally posted by luvmytreo

Actually, I don't mind if they charge me by using up my paid-for minutes. But they actually charge me extra, above and beyond my minutes. I think the modem call should be treated like a voice call, shouldn't it? Maybe I'm missing something here?!
    There are a limited number of modems at Sprint; far fewer than the number of phone lines, so it sort of makes sense that you have to pay to use them. However, it would be nice if you could use your minutes (I don't have a dialup ISP or a corporate VPN to dial into, so this isn't an issue for me).
    Has anyone noticed that the notifymail.com site seems to be down?

Where else could I find this software??

At this point, I think that it is too hard to write a Windows USB driver so no one has been able to do it. I'd love to see someone prove me wrong, but I'm not holding my breath.

I had gotten ahold of the creator for the liberty emulator he is a (friend of the family)

he said he would like to give it a shot

he said it wouldnt be to hard

he wants to talk to you and find out what exactly you are wanting

the usb driver to do

and if he created it he wants a portion of the proceeds

let me know what you think
    Last edited by backwerd; 12/12/2002 at 06:57 PM.
    Originally posted by backwerd
    If they don't agree on a split, then just sell the parts separately. I'll be first in line to buy a usb xp connectivity solution. I can't wait!!
    David
    Originally posted by macosxfiles
    Has anyone noticed that the notifymail.com site seems to be down?

Where else could I find this software??
    The site is back up; I apologize for the down time. A bad hard drive took the site down for about 5 hours today while I brought it back up.

(The software should not be found elsewhere; if it is, I didn't authorize it and you shouldn't trust it.)
    Originally posted by backwerd

I had gotten ahold of the creator for the liberty emulator he is a (friend of the family)

he said he would like to give it a shot

he said it wouldnt be to hard

he wants to talk to you and find out what exactly you are wanting

the usb driver to do

let me know what you think
    If Aaron sends me email (he has my email address), we can discuss it. Another developer has begun development on a driver and doesn't want any money (but wouldn't mind if I paid, which I've offered to do after it is done).
    not arron

mike the acutall creator

sweet you found a developer willing to do it

thats awsome

mike said email him if you need him.

MEthetton@gambitstudios.com
    Last edited by backwerd; 12/12/2002 at 11:21 PM.