Page 15 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415161718192025 ... LastLast
    Originally posted by sgruby

The Treo returns CONNECT instead of CONNECT 57600 or something like this and since Windows is less than brilliant, it assumes 9600. Mac OS X simply says "Unknown connection speed".
    So does this affect the actual speed at all?
    Also,

What's the maximum throughput of an IRDA link? What's my limiting factor of speed? Is it the Treo's IRDA, Vision, the standard serial driver, or what?

My speed appears to be 1.5-2.0K while downloading files from my page. (2 bars, would 4 bars have significantly better speed?)

PS - To use the Treo with the flip closed, just set it up, press enable modem, close the lid, press the power button once, and then make connection. The LED screen won't turn though, but you can dim it by double tapping the power, that may save you some power.
    Last edited by BrianV; 11/25/2002 at 11:40 PM.
    Originally posted by BrianV

So does this affect the actual speed at all?
    Nope.
    I just got WirelessModem working on a WinXP laptop, thanks to all here on the board. However, I was wondering if the definitive answer was given to the question: Is serial cable faster/better than IR?

Thanks...
    Whew! I had my Treo 300 set to work as a modem a week or so ago... but when I tried it yesterday and today, for some reason it wouldn't work. I kept getting that dreaded "hardware failure" error report after clicking on the DUN connection. I tried *all* the fixes recommended on this thread.... and I *still* couldn't connect. Finally, in a moment of desperation, I did a soft reset on the Treo and, instantly, it took off. I'm writing this message using the Treo as my connection. So... in case anyone else gets as desperate, before you give up, try a soft reset!

Thanks again to everybody participating here. *Very* valuable fixture in my tech arsenal.

Doug
    Doug
    Whew! I had my Treo 300 set to work as a modem a week or so ago... but when I tried it yesterday and today, for some reason it wouldn't work. I kept getting that dreaded "hardware failure" error report after clicking on the DUN connection. I tried *all* the fixes recommended on this thread.... and I *still* couldn't connect. Finally, in a moment of desperation, I did a soft reset on the Treo and, instantly, it took off. I'm writing this message using the Treo as my connection. So... in case anyone else gets as desperate, before you give up, try a soft reset!

Thanks again to everybody participating here. *Very* valuable fixture in my tech arsenal.

Doug

PS. By the way... my dslreports results were 26K download, and 9K upload. No speed record... but I love the capability to at least do email!
    Doug
    I am having a hard time configuring my treo to work with my laptop. I have a sony laptop running windows XP and no IR port, so I am using the serial port.

I bought a serial cable to connect the treo but i am having problems.

I can not put the modem under com3 only com1 does this make a difference?

If I try to enable the modem under Scott's program it tells me that it is unable to connect to the serial port.

I noticed that all of the instuctions for XP say to install the IR patches. Do I need this as well for the serial port? i tend not to think so but I have been wrong a lot lately.

Any specific instuctions for XP with a serial port?

I really would love to get this up and running. Any ideas?
    Thanks to you Scott and others on this board - I am truly Wireless.

My CONFIG:
    DELL Lattitude/ Windows XP Pro / IR Port

I love this freedom.

My only regret is that this solution was not more apparent to me and I didn't have to waste several evenings sifting though threads of bad info before getting what I needed.

Scott - I will pay you now for the Wireless Modem software!! Happily!

ONE QUESTION: What are the optimal settings: to tweak the connection for maximum speed?

Sometimes I get 22K - sometimes I get 160K

Are there any?

GReg Rosner
    Originally posted by groisner

ONE QUESTION: What are the optimal settings: to tweak the connection for maximum speed?

Sometimes I get 22K - sometimes I get 160K

Are there any?

GReg Rosner
    Things seem to vary so widely, I don't have a clue. First off, in Advanced Settings, Buffer size should be at least 16384 and you should probably use the maximum speed on both ports. I think that signal strength affects it (so far I've only been only to use it with 0-1 bars of strength).

(I'm posting this wirelessly just to show that I actually use my own software :-) and the fact that I'm away from my cable modem).
    as i was reviewing the install instructions, I saw thqt you need to input a phpne number (#777). does this meqan you have q phone connection (and use wireless minutes) instead of a data connection (with unlimited minutes)?
    Originally posted by oldnew
    as i was reviewing the install instructions, I saw thqt you need to input a phpne number (#777). does this meqan you have q phone connection (and use wireless minutes) instead of a data connection (with unlimited minutes)?
    No, #777 is the number to dial into the data network. It uses Vision and therefore doesn't take minutes out of your minutes pool.
    Originally posted by junochoe

I posted a message to this forum a couple weeks ago asking if anyone had tried using one of the USB to IR adapters that are commercially available. No one replied ... so I went ahead and tried it. I purchased the U4-IRDA product ...

Presto!!! It just worked ... first try!!! Thanks to everyone in this forum for figuring out all the intricacies of windows XP connections, and thanks to Scott for the great Wireless Modem software! ... I'll send in my $35 "vote" shortly ...

Hey All,

I have an update for my adventures with USB to IR adapters. It's also a small warning to people who want to try this. There is a problem with the IrCOMM2K software if there is no IR adapter present. This is the case on my laptop most of the time I start it up, because I don't have the USB-to-IRDA dongle plugged in. It sticks out about an inch from the back of my laptop and makes transporting it difficult if I have it plugged in. The problem with the IrCOMM2K software is as follows:

1) The software complains about 4 or 5 times every time I start up my machine that it can't find an infrared port. I think one warning should be more than sufficient.

2) The more insidious problem is that IrCOMM2K really slows down my notebook a lot if there's no IR port present. I looked at CPU utilization, and the IrCOMM2K is taking up 90-100% of CPU cycles. This is crazy! I think perhaps IrCOMM2K continues to look for infrared ports the whole time the computer is on. This is easily solved by killing this process, but it's a pain if you have to do it every time you start up.

It would be nice if IrCOMM2K had an option that would simply make it disappear if it can't detect an infrared port. Perhaps, in the future, the makers of IrCOMM2K will implement this feature. For now, if you want to use a USB-to-IRDA adapter, I think you have to put up with the annoying startup message and killing the IrCOMM2K process every time you start up without the adapter. If someone can think of a better workaround, I'd appreciate it!
    Originally posted by junochoe

Hey All,

I have an update for my adventures with USB to IR adapters. It's also a small warning to people who want to try this. There is a problem with the IrCOMM2K software if there is no IR adapter present. This is the case on my laptop most of the time I start it up, because I don't have the USB-to-IRDA dongle plugged in. It sticks out about an inch from the back of my laptop and makes transporting it difficult if I have it plugged in. The problem with the IrCOMM2K software is as follows:

1) The software complains about 4 or 5 times every time I start up my machine that it can't find an infrared port. I think one warning should be more than sufficient.

2) The more insidious problem is that IrCOMM2K really slows down my notebook a lot if there's no IR port present. I looked at CPU utilization, and the IrCOMM2K is taking up 90-100% of CPU cycles. This is crazy! I think perhaps IrCOMM2K continues to look for infrared ports the whole time the computer is on. This is easily solved by killing this process, but it's a pain if you have to do it every time you start up.

It would be nice if IrCOMM2K had an option that would simply make it disappear if it can't detect an infrared port. Perhaps, in the future, the makers of IrCOMM2K will implement this feature. For now, if you want to use a USB-to-IRDA adapter, I think you have to put up with the annoying startup message and killing the IrCOMM2K process every time you start up without the adapter. If someone can think of a better workaround, I'd appreciate it!

Interestingly I don't get those startup messages, however my laptop has been running noticeably slower, I will look into the utilization.
    Outstanding work!

Got everthing hooked up in about 2 minutes, and am getting a solid 56k download speed (w/only 1 bar of signal strength, using winXP via IR).

It is kinda funny, that the sys-tray applet only states 9.6k, but i clearly get 56K (testing via bandwidthplace.com).

I don't mind turning off BusinessConnect before I use the Wmodem, but it is a bit irritating if you forget to turn it off. No biggie, I'm just happy to get my laptop truly mobile!

Thanks sgruby.
    Originally posted by conspir8r
    Outstanding work!

Got everthing hooked up in about 2 minutes, and am getting a solid 56k download speed (w/only 1 bar of signal strength, using winXP via IR).

It is kinda funny, that the sys-tray applet only states 9.6k, but i clearly get 56K (testing via bandwidthplace.com).

I don't mind turning off BusinessConnect before I use the Wmodem, but it is a bit irritating if you forget to turn it off. No biggie, I'm just happy to get my laptop truly mobile!

Thanks sgruby.
    Disabling BusinessConnect while WirelessModem is enabled is on my list of things to do.
    Originally posted by conspir8r
    Outstanding work!

Thanks sgruby.
    Damn I wish I could get those speeds with 1 bar, I'm thinking perhaps my IR device is just slow???
    Has any one fired up an written the required USB drivers yet for those of us on PCs without Seriel or IR ports? I want to give Scott my money!

tia
    You can get USB to serial and USB to IrDA adapters.
    Originally posted by newtreo
    Has any one fired up an written the required USB drivers yet for those of us on PCs without Seriel or IR ports? I want to give Scott my money!

tia
    We just need to find someone who has the knowledge and tools to do it and "make him an offer he can't refuse". The longer the delay on the 7135 and i500, the larger the Treo 300 user base. I bought one last weekend. Perhaps we could compile a list of treocentral usernames of those of us interested in windows xp usb wireless modem driver. 100 names times $20 would be $2000 for a driver, and that would only be the initial downpayment for his expertise as new Treo 300 owners get onboard.

If such a list is already underway, please add me.
    David
    Originally posted by drw
    We just need to find someone who has the knowledge and tools to do it and "make him an offer he can't refuse". The longer the delay on the 7135 and i500, the larger the Treo 300 user base. I bought one last weekend. Perhaps we could compile a list of treocentral usernames of those of us interested in windows xp usb wireless modem driver. 100 names times $20 would be $2000 for a driver, and that would only be the initial downpayment for his expertise as new Treo 300 owners get onboard.

If such a list is already underway, please add me.
    As of today, either no Windows developer wants to undertake this, or it is just too hard on Windows to do this. I suspect the former. It took me weeks to get the Mac driver working for the Treo 300 and this was using sample code as most of the base.

So far 100 people haven't bought WirelessModem, so I'm not sure what you've proposed is going to fly :-)