Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst ... 491011121314151617181924 ... LastLast
Results 261 to 280 of 552
  1. #261  
    Anyone using Treo 300 with Wireless Modem and OS9 succesfully? Care to share your settings? What I've been doing gets me a brief connection, then the connection is dropped and the Treo 300 locks up and requires a reset.

    Here's what I've been doing...
    OS 9.1
    TCP/IP set to PPP
    Modem Control Panel set to connect via Palm USB
    modem script= Treo
    ignore dial tone is checked

    Using remote access, log in as guest with no username or password, allowing error correction and compression in modem as well as tcp header compression and verbose logging.

    On treo..
    PDA Modem port set to wireless modem at 57,600
    Laptop connected by USB/serial

    Any advice would be appreciated.
    Mschwarz
    Atlanta
  2. #262  
    well this may not be the advise your looking for but, the easiest most effective way is to upgrade your system to OS X 10.2. The developer of this app is using OS X and I'm sure any future updates will be for OS X.

    I downloaded the Wireless Modem demo, it works great on OS X, and easy to config. I know I want use it more than a couple of times a month but when the demo expires I'm going to buy.
  3. #263  
    Disregard my last message about a driver for Windows 98, I just installed 2000 on my laptop and the wireless modem works great, alot faster then most dial up connections that I use when in hotels.
  4. #264  
    I finally got the port to show-up, but I'm not sure how. I repeated the same steps like 50 times and then ... there it is.

    This is great! Faster than I expected and I'm running on one bar of signal. Anybody know how long you can stay connected before you drain your Treo? It seems to be eating the battery at an alarming rate... I guess good enough to grab some emai, surf quickly ... good enough for me.
  5. #265  
    Originally posted by chrisutley
    I finally got the port to show-up, but I'm not sure how. I repeated the same steps like 50 times and then ... there it is.

    This is great! Faster than I expected and I'm running on one bar of signal. Anybody know how long you can stay connected before you drain your Treo? It seems to be eating the battery at an alarming rate... I guess good enough to grab some emai, surf quickly ... good enough for me.

    I use a USB sync and charge cable; it eliminates the problem of draining your Treo as the Treo charges while it is plugged in.
  6. #266  
    Do any of you guys who have been doing this for a while have any idea what the upstream bitrates are? I'm getting the impression that people are typically getting around 100k downstream.. but nobody has mentioned what their upstream is.

    The reason I ask is because I may on day look into using my Treo to broadcast some streaming video completely wirelessly. Between 80 and 100k would be great.
  7. #267  
    I have a Sony Vaio SR7K, which doesn't have a serial port or an IR port. I do, however, have a serial hotsync cable, since my initial hotsync was to an NT box.

    Has anyone gotten this working with a USB-to-serial adapter? If so, which one?

    -Patti
  8. #268  
    I wouldn't count on 100kbps, up or down. I'd guess on 35kbps.. maybe sometimes you'll get more, but certainly not reliably..

    Not unless some significant optimization of some sort is made..
  9. #269  
    Originally posted by PattiB
    I have a Sony Vaio SR7K, which doesn't have a serial port or an IR port. I do, however, have a serial hotsync cable, since my initial hotsync was to an NT box.

    Has anyone gotten this working with a USB-to-serial adapter? If so, which one?

    -Patti
    One user sent me the following:

    "Just to let you know that you can buy from sitecom a USB to Fast IRDA adapter.

    I tried it, and it works perfect, just by following the instructions in the standard documentation.
    "

    I haven't tried it, so I don't know if it works, but it might be worth a try.
  10. #270  
    Here's an off the wall question. Since Handspring makes a Serial hotsync cable for the Treo, couldn't PC users just connect using that and configure WirelessModem to use serial communication rather than USB?
  11. #271  
    Originally posted by ckohler
    Here's an off the wall question. Since Handspring makes a Serial hotsync cable for the Treo, couldn't PC users just connect using that and configure WirelessModem to use serial communication rather than USB?
    Yes. Please check the rest of this thread for others that have done this.
  12. #272  
    Going to try the same thing tonight, as my 2.5LB laptop does not have any legacy devices nor IRDA, just USB, Ethernet, Integrated 802.11b, and modem.

    Can't wait, I'll hook up the $35 if all works well.

    Originally posted by junochoe
    Hey All,

    I have a laptop running winXP with no serial port and no IR port ... only USB ports ... and I wanted to use the wireless modem software on my Treo 300. You would think from all of the discussion that I would be out of luck ... Not so!! Read below to find out how.

    I posted a message to this forum a couple weeks ago asking if anyone had tried using one of the USB to IR adapters that are commercially available. No one replied ... so I went ahead and tried it. I purchased the U4-IRDA product from firewiremax.com at

    http://store.yahoo.com/fire-wire-139...smalusbir.html

    I think its also available here:

    http://www.compusb.com/irtousbadfor.html


    I installed the drivers for the USB-to-IRDA adapter first. This basically allows windows to recognize the device as an IR port. I then installed the IR-COM drivers according to the directions on Scott's web site. Then set up the COM port as a 56K v.90 modem and set up the Wireless Modem software on my palm.

    Then, I lined up my laptop (with the USB-IRDA adapter plugged in) with my Treo. I turned on the Wireless Modem software and launched the modem connection on my laptop.

    Presto!!! It just worked ... first try!!! Thanks to everyone in this forum for figuring out all the intricacies of windows XP connections, and thanks to Scott for the great Wireless Modem software! ... I'll send in my $35 "vote" shortly ...

    I was getting 28kbit d/l and 27kbit u/l as measured on dslreports.com with maybe 1 or 2 bars signal strength on the treo. I have yet to try it in a higher signal strength area, but I am very very happy with this performance!

    Thanks all!
  13. #273  
    Originally posted by sgruby


    A non-supported version of WirelessModem can be found at: <http://www.notifymail.com/palm/wmodem/>. It should work well for Mac OS X 10.2 users with the Treo 300. Please note that the cost is $65. I'm only making this available to show that a solution exists and this is only for Mac OS X 10.2 users.


    Performance isn't great, but it works; I think that Sprint's proxy server and the speed of the Treo are contributing factors.

    (I'm actually posting this via my PowerBook G4 connected to my Treo.)
    Scott:

    I was *so* close to having this working, but now I can't get USB modem to appear in the network configs. for some reason. Is there some way to do a clean install under os x 10.2 so i can start over again? It had appeared before in System Prefs, and I had even managed to get it to dial. I've tried re-downloading the app, deleting from the Treo 300, etc. Damn.
  14. #274  
    Originally posted by cairdin


    Scott:

    I was *so* close to having this working, but now I can't get USB modem to appear in the network configs. for some reason. Is there some way to do a clean install under os x 10.2 so i can start over again? It had appeared before in System Prefs, and I had even managed to get it to dial. I've tried re-downloading the app, deleting from the Treo 300, etc. Damn.
    WirelessModem for the Treo 300 does NOT install anything on Mac OS X 10.2; you simply copy the application to your hard drive and run it. If you want to remove it, simply drag it to the trash.

    Other than that, unfortunately I can't give you any additional suggestions. (I just re-downloaded the software and it asked me for my password which I entered and then everything was fine again. I suspect that your system is somehow messed up.)
  15. #275  
    Originally posted by sgruby


    WirelessModem for the Treo 300 does NOT install anything on Mac OS X 10.2; you simply copy the application to your hard drive and run it. If you want to remove it, simply drag it to the trash.

    Other than that, unfortunately I can't give you any additional suggestions. (I just re-downloaded the software and it asked me for my password which I entered and then everything was fine again. I suspect that your system is somehow messed up.)
    Scott:

    As of today, I'm running 10.2.2, if that's relevant. Here's a listing from console, but if you can't help, I understand. (Though you'd def. get a check from me if I can get it to work!!)

    2002-11-25 18:37:00.651 kextload[688] CFLog (20): The program you are using needs to use a system file that may reduce the security of your computer.: <CFArray 0x2c81d0 [0xa01303fc]>{type = mutable-small, count = 3, values = (
    0 : <CFString 0x7274 [0xa01303fc]>{contents = "The file ""}
    1 : <CFString 0x75b50 [0xa01303fc]>{contents = "WirelessModemDriver.kext"}
    2 : <CFString 0x7284 [0xa01303fc]>{contents = "" has problems that may reduce the security of your computer. You should contact the manufacturer of the product you are using for a new version. If you are sure the file is OK, you can allow the application to use it, or fix it and then use it. If you click Don't Use, any other files that depend on this file will not be used."}
    )}
    kextload: can't change ownership/group of /Volumes/WirelessModem/WirelessModem.app/Contents/SharedSupport/WirelessModemDriver.kext
    2002-11-25 18:37:12.071 kextload[688] CFLog (20): File Access Error: <CFArray 0x2c73f0 [0xa01303fc]>{type = mutable-small, count = 3, values = (
    0 : <CFString 0x7274 [0xa01303fc]>{contents = "The file ""}
    1 : <CFString 0x75b50 [0xa01303fc]>{contents = "WirelessModemDriver.kext"}
    2 : <CFString 0x72d4 [0xa01303fc]>{contents = "" could not be fixed, but it will be used anyway."}
    )}
    Nov 25 18:38:14 MyComputer kextd[51]: can't find extension with id com.notifymail.driver.WirelessModemDriver
  16. #276  
    Originally posted by cairdin


    Scott:

    As of today, I'm running 10.2.2, if that's relevant. Here's a listing from console, but if you can't help, I understand. (Though you'd def. get a check from me if I can get it to work!!)

    My only guess is that the account you're logged into doesn't have administrator privileges OR you didn't copy the app to your hard drive. The first time the app runs, it asks for your administrator password, authenticates itselfs, makes some privilege modifications, and then launches.
  17. #277  
    Originally posted by sgruby


    WirelessModem for the Treo 300 does NOT install anything on Mac OS X 10.2; you simply copy the application to your hard drive and run it. If you want to remove it, simply drag it to the trash.

    Other than that, unfortunately I can't give you any additional suggestions. (I just re-downloaded the software and it asked me for my password which I entered and then everything was fine again. I suspect that your system is somehow messed up.)
    Scott:

    Started over again, followed your instructions to the letter, and bang, it works! I'm posting this wirelessly.

    I have a feeling part of the problem is that iSync stays running after an install of the .prc.

    Anyway, it's brilliant. Thanks.
  18. #278  
    Ok I got it to work with a USB IRDA adapter, but my net connection always says 9600, I've set everything including the IRDA driver itself to 57600, how come the connection actually says 9600.

    My speed test was 13kbps
  19. #279  
    Originally posted by cairdin


    Scott:

    Started over again, followed your instructions to the letter, and bang, it works! I'm posting this wirelessly.

    I have a feeling part of the problem is that iSync stays running after an install of the .prc.

    Anyway, it's brilliant. Thanks.
    I just tried it with iSync open and it doesn't affect it. I still believe that you didn't copy the app to a writeable volume (that's the kind of error junk you get when you skip that instruction step).
  20. #280  
    Originally posted by BrianV
    Ok I got it to work with a USB IRDA adapter, but my net connection always says 9600, I've set everything including the IRDA driver itself to 57600, how come the connection actually says 9600.

    My speed test was 13kbps
    The Treo returns CONNECT instead of CONNECT 57600 or something like this and since Windows is less than brilliant, it assumes 9600. Mac OS X simply says "Unknown connection speed".

Posting Permissions