Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415161722 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Originally posted by slffl
    I just followed the steps exactly (XP and Treo 300). When I click dial in XP, the Status Lights work on the Treo and I can see data scrolling on the debugging lines. It finally stops with an ERROR on the Treo and the following error on the XP machine.

Opening port...

Error 692: There was a hardware failure in the modem (or other connecting device).

Anyone know what the problem could be?
    This is the same EXACT problem I have. I've followed the directions exactly too.

Scott,
    I have went throught the mdmgen.inf file and removed all instances of that string. I've searched my entire machine as well as Windows registry. Any instance of that string I have deleted. But for some reason, Windows continually sends it to the device. Any help guys, please?
    Originally posted by slffl
    I just followed the steps exactly (XP and Treo 300). When I click dial in XP, the Status Lights work on the Treo and I can see data scrolling on the debugging lines. It finally stops with an ERROR on the Treo and the following error on the XP machine.

Opening port...

Error 692: There was a hardware failure in the modem (or other connecting device).

Anyone know what the problem could be?
    There is an issue with the init string; you'll need to change it and remove the offending pieces. As someone pointed out, AT for the init string seems to work fine. I believe that this has been discussed previously in this thread.
    Originally posted by kevp913

Scott,
    I have went throught the mdmgen.inf file and removed all instances of that string. I've searched my entire machine as well as Windows registry. Any instance of that string I have deleted. But for some reason, Windows continually sends it to the device. Any help guys, please?
    Unfortunately for you, I don't use Windows so I don't have any other suggestions. I know that others have had far fewer problems and simply have gotten it to work following the instructions included with WirelessModem and some tips from this (and other) threads.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts

This is the same EXACT problem I have. I've followed the directions exactly too.

Scott,
    So luckily I have a 2nd hard drive for my laptop with Win 2k installed. So I booted up in that, and followed the installation procedures, and it works perfectly. However this isn't a solution for me, since 2k isn't my primary OS. Has anybody with XP Professional been able to get this to work?

Scott,
    After running it on 2k, here is the INIT string that 2k sent to the TREO:
    11-18-2002 12:17:07.786 - Send: ATE0V1&C1&D2S0=0<cr>
    11-18-2002 12:17:07.886 - Recv: ATE0V1&C1&D2S0=0<cr>
    11-18-2002 12:17:07.886 - Command Echo
    11-18-2002 12:17:07.886 - Recv: <cr><lf>OK<cr><lf>
    11-18-2002 12:17:07.886 - Interpreted response: OK

whereas with XP it was:
    11-18-2002 09:52:01.954 - Send: AT&FE0V1&C1&D2S95=47S0=0<cr>
    11-18-2002 09:52:02.565 - Recv: <cr><lf>ERROR<cr><lf>
    11-18-2002 09:52:02.565 - Interpreted response: Error

Very similar, but slightly different. Is there anyway in your program to have the TREO respond with an ECHO or OK if the XP init string is received?
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    All,

I have discovered a solution for the WinXP problem. The instructions for Win XP are slightly different than Win2k because when you install the "Standard 56kbps modem" for 2K, it is actually "Standard 56kbps modem V90". So therefore, under XP, you must do the same thing. Basically the instructions for XP should go something like this:

1) Install the IRCOMM software (http://www.stud.uni-hannover.de/~kis...ish/index.html) on any port (I did Port 3)
    2) Under Control Panel->Phone and Modem Options choose the Modems Tab and goto Add... and check 'Don't detect my modem; I will select it from a list'. Then choose the "Standard 56000 bps Modem" that is listed. We will be changing it shortly. Make sure to install the modem to the same port you specified in Step 1.
    3) Now we need to change the modem to the new V90 modem. Goto Control Panel->System->Hardware->Device Manager and open up the "Standard 56000 kps Modem". With that open, goto the Driver tab and click on 'update driver...'. Tell it that you want to select from a list and click next, then not to search for a driver and click next, then decheck 'show compatible hardware'. At this point, if you scroll down under '(Standard Modem Types)', you will see "Standard 56000 kps V90 Modem". Go ahead and select it and install it.
    4) Follow the remainder of the Windows 2000 Instructions.

Hope this helps everybody, let me know if you have questions! Thanks a lot guys!

Scott, if you decide to change your documentation, you will want to change the current 'Windows XP users' section to read 'Windows 2000 users' as well as add my instructions above.
    All,

Scott, if you decide to change your documentation, you will want to change the current 'Windows XP users' section to read 'Windows 2000 users' as well as add my instructions above.
    I've updated the documentation on the website; however, the original XP documentation is what someone sent me, so I guess it worked for someone without your changes.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Originally posted by sgruby

I've updated the documentation on the website; however, the original XP documentation is what someone sent me, so I guess it worked for someone without your changes.
    The updates look good! I went back digging through the messages and found the below. If this where you got the documentation from (which I believe it is), it was originally written for 2000. Following these instructions worked perfectly in 2000, but not for XP. My ammended instructions work for XP because we are now loading the same driver (and INF file) that is used in 2000, thus using the correct INIT string. Anyways, just wanted to help!

-Kevin

Here's a crack at comprehensive instructions for Windows 2000.
    I'm backtracking here, so somebody check my work.

Setting-up your Laptop... The post was from BlueJay on page 11 at 11-09-2002 06:32 PM
    Ok, well after following kevp913's XP instructions, I was able to open the port, but it still wouldn't connect. So I changed the init strings some more and now it's back to not opening the port, and in the debugging lines it shows OK and repeats ATAT ATZ ATZ a couple of times and then shows the same Opening Port error on the XP machine.

In the registry, there are 2 places to change the init string, #1 is ATZ and #2 is AT&FE0V1&C1&D2S95=47S0=0. Also there is an "Extra initialization commands" under the Advanced tab of modem properties.

Does anyone have an idea as to what these 3 strings should be? I have tried all kinds of combinations without success.
    Just read thru most of this long thread and decided to try it out on my Treo and IBM laptop running XP. Got it working after a little tinkering (standard 56000 modem wouldn't work, had to use standard 14400) and man, it is great! Haven't tried it in a strong signal area yet, but so far I'm seeing download speeds around 5 to 8kps sustained. Here comes my $35 Scott, keep up the great work!

This was so impressive to a couple of my friends, they've decided to switch to Sprint. Maybe they'll get Treo's and buy Scott's program, too

The updates look good! I went back digging through the messages and found the below. If this where you got the documentation from (which I believe it is), it was originally written for 2000. Following these instructions worked perfectly in 2000, but not for XP. My ammended instructions work for XP because we are now loading the same driver (and INF file) that is used in 2000, thus using the correct INIT string. Anyways, just wanted to help!

-Kevin

Here's a crack at comprehensive instructions for Windows 2000.
    I'm backtracking here, so somebody check my work.

Setting-up your Laptop... The post was from BlueJay on page 11 at 11-09-2002 06:32 PM
    Thanks for letting me know; next time I get to the documentation, I'll see about updating it. I think that someone sent me the XP instructions via email.
    Ok, I am getting excellent results with Win2k now.

I have my Treo300 hooked to my Win2k laptop via a Handspring serial cable I bought on ebay for $18.

Using the Standard 56000 V90 modem, IP compression off, harware flow control off, I'm "connecting at 57.6k". The net feels a little better than a dial-up, honestly. bandwidth.com says 205.7 kbps but I know that's probably due to vision's image compression. I'm definitely able to stream audio and surf the web care-free.

After a few more days to verify this continues to work correctly, I am "voting"!

Thanks for this absolutely critical tool.
    I have been unsuccessful setting up Wireless Modem. I am using a Dell Inspiron laptop with Windows XP Pro. One problem is that during the setup, the instructions say to use com port 3. When I configure the modem, it will only allow me to add it to com1. (The internal modem that comes with the computer uses Com3) I have performed hotsyncs using the IR port. (And I have the hot sync manager turned off) Any suggestions.....
    This thread has been very helpful in working out how to configure my W2K laptop with a Treo 270 on the French SFR GPRS network. The main differences with the current 'standard' configuration for the Sprint network are:

1. The initialization string for the modem has to be :

ATZ+CGDCONT=1,"IP","websfr"

2. The phone number is :

*99***1#

(which is different from the number *99# that SFR is using for most other wireless modems, like the SE T68i and the Nokia 7650).

I've only been able to get 9.6 kb connections so far, but it's the same thing for GPRS using Blazer on the SFR network, so no surprise. DSL reports returned 15kb download and 13 kb upload.

Now hopefully I can convince my boss to pay the 800 euro for my trial Treo, and the first software I buy will be Scotty's.
    Hey just wanted to let you guys know I talked to our sprint rep and she signed me up for a new plan on my treo

$45.00 Pcs free & clear plan
    all minutes include long distance
    500 anytime minutes
    unlimited night and weekend minuted
    caller id, call waiting
    three-way calling
    voicemail
    unlimited data

This blow away my old $100 play for unlimited data...

Hope this helps convice ppl that treo is the way to go.

Dan
    Hey All,

I have a laptop running winXP with no serial port and no IR port ... only USB ports ... and I wanted to use the wireless modem software on my Treo 300. You would think from all of the discussion that I would be out of luck ... Not so!! Read below to find out how.

I posted a message to this forum a couple weeks ago asking if anyone had tried using one of the USB to IR adapters that are commercially available. No one replied ... so I went ahead and tried it. I purchased the U4-IRDA product from firewiremax.com at

http://store.yahoo.com/fire-wire-139...smalusbir.html

I think its also available here:

http://www.compusb.com/irtousbadfor.html

I installed the drivers for the USB-to-IRDA adapter first. This basically allows windows to recognize the device as an IR port. I then installed the IR-COM drivers according to the directions on Scott's web site. Then set up the COM port as a 56K v.90 modem and set up the Wireless Modem software on my palm.

Then, I lined up my laptop (with the USB-IRDA adapter plugged in) with my Treo. I turned on the Wireless Modem software and launched the modem connection on my laptop.

Presto!!! It just worked ... first try!!! Thanks to everyone in this forum for figuring out all the intricacies of windows XP connections, and thanks to Scott for the great Wireless Modem software! ... I'll send in my $35 "vote" shortly ...

I was getting 28kbit d/l and 27kbit u/l as measured on dslreports.com with maybe 1 or 2 bars signal strength on the treo. I have yet to try it in a higher signal strength area, but I am very very happy with this performance!

Thanks all!
    All,

I have discovered a solution for the WinXP problem. The instructions for Win XP are slightly different than Win2k because when you install the "Standard 56kbps modem" for 2K, it is actually "Standard 56kbps modem V90". So therefore, under XP, you must do the same thing. Basically the instructions for XP should go something like this:

*snip*

This worked for me, thanks a lot!!! I was banging my head on the desk wondering why the instructions that seemed to work fine for everyone didn't work for me.

On a side note, I have found better performance if ALL the ports are set to 230,400 (both ports within Wireless Modem) and also in one somewhat obscure place...

Click the Properties button on the "Connect To" screen (where your username, password & phone number are).

Next, under the "General" tab, select the Standard 56000 bps V90 modem and click "Configure". Make sure the port speed there is set to 230,400 as well. I squeezed a few more kb/sec out of my connection this way.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Also, a feature request -- does the backlight really need to be on during the entire connection? The battery life on the Treo is already bad enough.

Thanks!
    Originally posted by AntiGravityHero

Also, a feature request -- does the backlight really need to be on during the entire connection? The battery life on the Treo is already bad enough.

Thanks!
    Do you mean backlight or screen? The screen has to be on otherwise the app wouldn't run properly (at all). If backlight, what backlight are you talking about? The keyboard isn't lit up (unless you explicitly turned it on).
    Originally posted by junochoe
    I posted a message to this forum a couple weeks ago asking if anyone had tried using one of the USB to IR adapters that are commercially available. No one replied ... so I went ahead and tried it. I purchased the U4-IRDA product from firewiremax.com at

http://store.yahoo.com/fire-wire-139...smalusbir.html

I think its also available here:

http://www.compusb.com/irtousbadfor.html

Thanks for the links; I'll add them to the documentation the next time I take a stab at it.
    Originally posted by sgruby

Do you mean backlight or screen? The screen has to be on otherwise the app wouldn't run properly (at all). If backlight, what backlight are you talking about? The keyboard isn't lit up (unless you explicitly turned it on).
    I mean the screen's backlight. Not the keyboard. For instance, AIM will run fine even with the flip closed and the screen off -- if a new message comes in, the screen lights back up. Maybe there's something about the Treo I don't know about in relation to the screen's backlight being on vs. an application working (or not)...
    Originally posted by AntiGravityHero

I mean the screen's backlight. Not the keyboard.
    It might be possible, but as far as I can tell, turning off the screen's backlight lights up the keyboard which really doesn't conserve battery life.

For us Mac people that have a USB sync and charge cable, this isn't an issue as the Treo is charging when it is hooked up to the Mac.