Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141520 ... LastLast
    Has anyone tried playing with packet sizes (MTU) to see if that will increase?
    Has anyone recieved a bill since they started dialing #777 through the WirelessModem program? I am curious as to how Sprint will be billing me for dialing this number through my wireless modem. I noticed my off peak minutes jumped up about 500 minutes after this weekend and I started thinking that they might be counting this as a wireless data call?? I can't find anything on sprints website to validate how they will bill for the #777 number. Where did we find out about #777 anyway? Can anyone offer me some reassurance that I won't get a $2000 phone bill?? Does anyone have any billing experiences with this matter?
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    I'm using a pc. Is there anyway to get the Wireless Modem working on usb or is serial the only way to go?
    It's been stated several times within this thread that the USB drivers for Windows do not yet exist, hence the serial or IR is the only way to connect a "PC".
    I hope I am not off track with this post but it appears to me that this relates to the discussion regarding laptop internet access. I hope this information helps.

I spoke with Sprint regarding how I am billed for data calls made from the wireless modem inside the Treo and the customer service rep said she received an email earlier today stating that all data calls made from the wireless modem would be covered by "unlimited vision" for now. However, she said they would notify customers if they are planning on changing the billing practices for wireless modem data calls in the future and at that time they might be offered another plan. She kept repeating that I would be covered by vision unlimited and they might change their minds in the future and I could not get her to elaborate on the topic beyond her "scripted answer". Who knows what they will do in the future but for now it appears these data calls are definitely covered by the "unlimited vision" part of my plan.

I don't mind uncertainty as long as things go my way but this practice of "we reserve the right to change our minds" really bugs me! I would prefer that they just charge me 99 bucks a month and gave me unlimited everything! It appears unlikely that they will ever do this but it sure seems like we are getting close.
    Originally posted by slushy

I don't mind uncertainty as long as things go my way but this practice of "we reserve the right to change our minds" really bugs me! I would prefer that they just charge me 99 bucks a month and gave me unlimited everything! It appears unlikely that they will ever do this but it sure seems like we are getting close.
    *cough*
    PCS Vision for Laptops and PDAs
    These plans are for customers who purchase PCS Connection Cards
    PCS Vision Per Month $100 Unlimited

I'd rather not pay $100/month. Or $40 for 20MB.
    Apologies if I missed this - I skimmed the last 5-6 pages pretty fast.

Should Mac OS X users download and use the 1.0.6 version instead of version 1.0.4?
    another happy treo <b>600</b> user.
    Originally posted by alex_t_king
    Apologies if I missed this - I skimmed the last 5-6 pages pretty fast.

Should Mac OS X users download and use the 1.0.6 version instead of version 1.0.4?
    Yes, 1.0.6 will automatically disconnect from Vision when you tap Enable Modem. Also, tweaking the buffer size (Advanced Options) may give a little better performance. (I'll eventually roll 1.0.4 into the other archives.)
    Originally posted by slushy
    I spoke with Sprint regarding how I am billed for data calls made from the wireless modem inside the Treo and the customer service rep said she received an email earlier today stating that all data calls made from the wireless modem would be covered by "unlimited vision" for now. However, she said they would notify customers if they are planning on changing the billing practices for wireless modem data calls in the future and at that time they might be offered another plan. She kept repeating that I would be covered by vision unlimited and they might change their minds in the future and I could not get her to elaborate on the topic beyond her "scripted answer". Who knows what they will do in the future but for now it appears these data calls are definitely covered by the "unlimited vision" part of my plan.
    How would they know the data you're fetching and viewing in microsoft internet explorer isn't being viewed in blazer? Regarding changing their minds, they better have their fine print straight because people signing a year contract will bloody expect to get unlimited vision for a year. That's a guaranteed class action lawsuit if they cut people off mid-contract. I bet they already have the fine print straight, and are just letting people slide until the volume adversely affects their networks. At which time they will remind users that "unlimited vision (for anything besides pcmcia cards) is intended for viewing on the device and not for viewing on a laptop using the device as a passthru.
    David
    Thanks for making this available again. As soon as FedEx gets around to dropping off my 300, I'll try it out and "vote."

I should note that there is a humorous typo on the "wireless modem" page (http://www.notifymail.com/palm/wmodem/), though.

"The purchased version is IDENTICAL to the purchased version."

I'd hope so!
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    Tonight I began to read this thread and start playing with WirelessModem. Reading through the posts was akin to watching the Star Wars Trilogy...[and took even longer]...anticipation in the beginning, struggle and strife in the middle, and ultimate triumph in the end.

DSLReports clocked me @ 22K download with a scant signal in my apartment- my only challenge will be to keep the IR ports lined up whilst sitting on a train somewhere.

I jacked my buffer all the way up to 32K and that increased my reported download by a few K, so that makes me happy! --Your results may vary.

Noticed a consistent lockup condition with the "show data" debugging option enabled, but after initial setup, that didn't seem necessary anyway.

Still confused on the modem string. For Wintel users, I have seen the Sony string and then a couple of "AT&" variations...is there a consensus on the best one, or whether this has any impact at all? My speed tests were generated without any string whatsoever.

Finally, Scott- I, too will *vote* after a week or so of "stability testing" -- how much more enthusiasm do you need to keep working on this?

To wrap up my Star Wars analogy, the emperor seems to be slain and a peace has fallen over the land...I'm goin to sleep!

Thanks again, Scott.
    Originally posted by phildro
    Noticed a consistent lockup condition with the "show data" debugging option enabled, but after initial setup, that didn't seem necessary anyway.
    This is a known issue; I was going to simply remove the feature, but some people said that it was useful for getting things going. I'm not sure how much time it is worth devoting to fixing this.
    The debugging feature was extremely useful for me for testing USB and IR driver situations. I could try different settings out and keep hitting stuff in my terminal program until something showed up on the debugging line.
    Finally got my connection working this morning. Set up standard 56000 modem, port set to 115200. Treomodem Irport set to 115200 and wireless modem set to 230,400. Seemed to work ok. Plan on testing speed this evening when I get home. It is much faster than the 2G data connection I had with my Motorola Timeport phone.

Oh yea, I 'voted' this morning as well. Thanks all and look forward to someone developing a usb driver.

James Thorne
    I've tried numerous initial strings with no results.
    I agree with kboogie That the real bottleneck might lie in the MTU packet sizes. This requires messing around with the registry some. Anyone know the CDMA packet size?
    Originally posted by Bluejay
    I've tried numerous initial strings with no results.
    I agree with kboogie That the real bottleneck might lie in the MTU packet sizes. This requires messing around with the registry some. Anyone know the CDMA packet size?
    It's less of a CDMA packet size and more of a wireless MTU. Check out:

<http://www.sierrawireless.com/Suppor...d/anac006.html> for some hints. While it is a little dated, it might help.
    Spent the last few days playing around with the latest wmodem/init strings/xp etc...

None of the MTU settings I have changed seem to have any noticable effect, consisdent 20-25k up/down over IR no matter what do.

A very respectible 25k I might add.

I did notice a strange problem with wmodem... after using it to access vision I find that the build in palm connections no longer seem to work properly unless I do a soft reset, has anybody else seen this problem?

thanks

BT
    I've been told (though I can't verify myself) that Win XP will "intelligently" adjust MTU sizes itself, unlike all the previous Windows OSes.
    Originally posted by btsipenyuk

I did notice a strange problem with wmodem... after using it to access vision I find that the build in palm connections no longer seem to work properly unless I do a soft reset, has anybody else seen this problem?

thanks

BT
    I just tried and didn't have any problems.

Also, I'm not sure if it matters, but I added my Vision username and password to the PPP logon (on my PowerBook) and connected. My guess is that Vision either accepts no username/password or your Vision username and password.

My last test got 31 kbps down/55 kbps up.
    sgruby, maybe you can help me? If I establish a connectia via Wireless Modem, the only program that works reliably on my notebook is command line FTP... if I go to internet explorer, aim, or anything else, the connection freezes after a few seconds, and then even command line FTP doesn't work. This is on my Treo 300, connected to a Windows 2000 laptop.

The other problem I'm having is that it just doesn't work with a serial cable. The only way I can get the treo modem to respond to AT commands is if I connect to the serial port on my Windows side first, and then click "Enable" in wireless modem... If I leave Enable on and then disconnect/reconnect to the serial port in windows, I get nothing. Any ideas?