Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I live in New York City. Throughout the day today, October 31, I had no problem establishing the data connection UNTIL, at about 5:30 p.m. EST this evening. From that point in the day on what happens each time I try to connect is the following: the connection to the Sprint phone network works just fine, but the attempt to establish the data connection hangs at the "signing in" page and then forces the Treo 300 to do a soft re-set. I tried several times now to establish the data connection and each time I run into the sequence described above. The error message flashes by so quickly in between the hanging "Signing in" page and the soft reset that I can't catch what it says.

I've had the unit for about a week and no such problem arose before. Now maybe it's just Halloween goblins, but has anyone else had this problem and, if so, does anyone know a fix (short of a hard reset, I hope)?

Many thanks.

Charlie
    Last edited by cuniman; 11/24/2002 at 09:22 AM.
    I've had the same problem now, also in the NYC area. What I've found to be helpful is to do your own soft reset, then try to connect thru Prefs, Network. Let me know if this helps.
    I had this problem a few days ago. Just turned wireless mode off and then back on. Connected just fine.

The treo is pretty buggy on connections. Often times it will say (stop icon) connecting......
    and time out several times before it establishes a new sign on

/v
    I've had this problem also...

I think it may have something to do with a bad signal area.. where it doesn't have enough signal to fully connect..

Not sure but it seems it works in areas with a bad signal.

Mike
    Originally posted by cuniman
    I live in New York City. Throughout the day today, October 31, I had no problem establishing the data connection UNTIL, at about 5:30 p.m. EST this evening. From that point in the day on what happens each time I try to connect is the following: the connection to the Sprint phone network works just fine, but the attempt to establish the data connection hangs at the "signing in" page and then forces the Treo 300 to do a soft re-set. I tried several times now to establish the data connection and each time I run into the sequence described above. The error message flashes by so quickly in between the hanging "Signing in" page and the soft reset that I can't catch what it says.

I've had the unit for about a week and no such problem arose before. Now maybe it's just Halloween goblins, but has anyone else had this problem and, if so, does anyone know a fix (short of a hard reset, I hope)?

Many thanks.

Charlie
    I've had the problem EXACTLY as you describe on my Treo for several weeks now. The strange thing is that this was NOT occuring in Aug & Sept ... just throughout the month of October. My many calls to Sprint's tech support must have triggered an inquiry too the next level, as I am now working with someone in their "Executive Services" area (superb service, I must say).

Just today (10/31), I received a brand-new replacement Treo. I'm working on getting it fully activated and will report back when I've had time to experience how the Vision service is on my new phone. By the way, I've used Sprint service & tons of phones here, in Baltimore, for almost 7 years; so this issue must either be Vision-realted, or some quirk with some of the phones (as the Sprint rep. thinks -- I hope he's right!).
    I have had this problem as well (in Wash DC and NY/NJ area). It's been trouble for any application connecting to the network (snappermail, Blazer, etc). If I haven't used the data connection for awhile, I often disconnect and reconnect - then it works OK. Still a bit of a pain.
    Mine also was fine until this month.

If so many people are having issues I doubt it is the phone.

With me it is intermittent
    I've recently run into this same problem as well in the DC area.
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    No problems with Treo Mail
    I've had this exact problem as well in the Long Island, New York area. Started last Saturday and seems to be worse between 5:00 pm and 10:00 pm. Usually after 2 or 3 trys it connects. This didn't happen the first month and 1/2 of Treo 300 use. If anyone finds out what this please let us all know.
    Thanks.
    Now I can't get my new replacement Treo provisioned!!! ... keep receiving "Communication Error ... The update was not successful due to a server error or dropped coverage ..." (fyi: I'm in a 3-bar area).

I made reference to this thread during my call this AM with tech support and the rep. went online to review the various posts. The fact that there are many users now experiencing this EXACT problem (data connection timeouts/errors/auto resets) makes it quite obvious that Sprint has a larger, system problem going on.

Originally posted by fgkay

I've had the problem EXACTLY as you describe on my Treo for several weeks now. The strange thing is that this was NOT occuring in Aug & Sept ... just throughout the month of October. My many calls to Sprint's tech support must have triggered an inquiry too the next level, as I am now working with someone in their "Executive Services" area (superb service, I must say).

Just today (10/31), I received a brand-new replacement Treo. I'm working on getting it fully activated and will report back when I've had time to experience how the Vision service is on my new phone. By the way, I've used Sprint service & tons of phones here, in Baltimore, for almost 7 years; so this issue must either be Vision-realted, or some quirk with some of the phones (as the Sprint rep. thinks -- I hope he's right!).
    Had the same problem for about a month now. After time I connect thru the pref tab also. Gotta remember to turn on phone after soft resets.
    i'm also on long island and have been having the same problem. a 'warm' reset seems to get it back online. i also tried to think of what i had changed and could not come up with anything specific. for me, it has only been the past week or so, but then, i had not been leaving my system 'always connected' to the web until then, because of some prior threads that had suggested this as a possible reason for the battery draining quickly.

have not had a problem with battery drains, but the resets are annoying...
    Global Posts
    313 Global Posts
    I had it happen to me last night -- I think it is the Sprint network going down and the way the treo reacts to it. I did remove markndial and that seemed to help.
    Henry L lazarus hlazar@netaxs.com
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/god.html
    Having the exact same problem in Boston this afternoon as well. Boy, it sure seems like I am spending half my life working on a device that is supposed to give me half my life BACK!

D.
    with so many folks having the same issue, i don't think it would be traceable to a particular program, so i'm not going to start taking things off my treo one by one. unless it's related to something really fundamental like the clipping pda's or similar...
    Well, having started this thread (including the rather poorly phrased subject line) and having found that my problem cleared up late last night (October 31, 2002 at about 11 p.m. EST), what do I now find? Well, the problem occurs yet again (November 1, 2002 at about 7 p.m.). My guess, it's a network problem -because, although as described in my initial post, the error message usually flashes by so quickly before the reset that I can't read it, I did, a couple of times during this "period of troubles," get a message that the network was busy and could simply cancel out of the attempted log on to the data connection w/o being forced to a soft reset.

Here's to a permanent fix from Sprint PCS really soon.

Charlie
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    I had the same same experience at just about the same time (7:20 ish PM, Nov 1). I'm in Northern NJ. It's been happening to me a bunch lately, too!

rotello
    If I might be so bold as to offer an opinion, I don't think these crashes have anything to do with geography. I think the networking software on the Treo just doesn't respond well when there's a problem connecting to the network. I've had several of these "soft resets" and they always seem to happen when an application (Blazer, Treo Mail, AvantGo, etc.) tries to initiate a network connection. In most cases, the attempt to connect takes an unusually long time just before the Palm resets. Interestingly enough, I've never heard of this happening when the user connects manually, through the network prefs panel.

The other thing I've noticed is that when my Treo hasn't used the network connection in a while it seems to become inactive. The "back-and-forth arrows" still show up beside the signal strength indicator, but any app that tries to access the network stalls out. Eventually, after cancelling whatever was trying to use the network, the back-and-forth arrows disappear and I have to re-connect through the network prefs.

Interestingly enough (conspiracy theory time), I don't recall this happening during the first month-and-a-half I had the Treo (mid-August through late September). Then the problem started. I wonder whether SprintPCS kicks your Treo off of the network if your connection is idle for a certain period of time?
    CambAngst: I have the problem occur even when I try to connect "manually" through "Preferences/Network."

Charlie
Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast