Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    d1rob

Thanking you, for your time, assistance and most importantly the valuable information that you have provided.
    d1robb - thanks for the info and your continuing efforts but i have to tell you that i called the number you gave and tried to go through the procedure. the first person i spoke to did not want to give me my phone's code. she transferred me to somebody else but i got cut off. after waiting a total of an HOUR, i gave up.
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    Today I tried my usual workaround of disconnecting, reconnecting to provisioning, disconnecting and reconnecting as normal and had another reset! I guess I will have to call Sprint to get my phone code now... not looking forward to spending hours on hold.
    Hi All,

I just called sprint wireless web to get the "MSL" code, and they would not give it to me. They said that I should go to the Sprint store to see a technician instead.

The frustrating thing about this interaction was that the technician said that he had never heard of this reset problem. He put me on hold, talked to three other technicians, and they said that they had not heard of this problem either.

I actually referred him to this thread on treocentral, and we read through a couple of the posts together on the phone, if you can believe that.

He still was not persuaded, but I hope that he convinces other people in that particular shop to read this thread, and that speeds up the pace of trouble-shooting on this problem.

all best,

archon
    A small piece of good news! I got a call today from a senior engineer at Sprint. He had just today been made aware of my trouble ticket on this problem and has spent the day trying to determine the nature of the problem. Currently, his best guess is that it is a network AND a firmware problem, with the device not responding appropriately to a new network situation that is probably arising out of network congestion.

The amazing thing about this is that they are flying a senior Handspring engineer out tonight on the redeye. He is coming to my home tomorrow to document the problem and log all of the details so they can work out a firmware AND a network fix.

While there is no promise of when this might be resolved, the fact that they are flying someone across the country who is coming straight to my house to work on this shows a significant commitment to fixing the problem. What really impressed me was the Sprint engineer's customer-focused attitude. He was apologetic, really wanted to help, and was very kind in the manner he asked me to assist.

Bottom line -- I hope to be a small player in the resolution of this problem. I'll keep everyone posted.

One other note -- this can't come too soon, as I just had my first case of the reset problem occuring after immediately after a re-provisioning!
    Cmack,

Let us know if they really do show up

Good luck!

NCTreo300
    Wow! I'm reserving judgment until you post that the engineer actually arrived at your house, but if true that's a pretty impressive response.

Please print out a copy of this thread to give to this person, to make sure that Handspring knows this is a problem for Treo users all over the country, and it only began happening in the last two weeks or so.

This may be pressing our luck, but if the person who shows up is part of Treo design team, you might ask whether the fix for this problem will require a firmware rewrite, and if so, would it possible to add other bug fixes/software enhancements at the same time? I'm sure the users of this board could quickly come up with a list issues for Handspring to look at. On the other hand, this may not be a good idea if it would delay the patch for the connection crash issue.

Best of luck, let us know what happens.
    my unit does same. soft reset if you not connected to PCS Vision.

Has anyone ever recvd an official respne from Sprint? Seems this would be a sysyem issue rather than a Treo problem. Any comments/findings welcome.

PS: have owned just about all "Palm" and PPC's...Treo does do it all. Wish it was built a bit sturdy.
    My problem is getting worse....almost every time now, I have to go through entering my MSL code and restoring factory default settings...did Handspring show up yesterday, and if so, what did they say?
    My contact in the Sprint corporate offices sent me the following.

Handspring Treo customers have reported data errors in the Lucent markets of New York, New Jersey, Delaware, Rhode Island, Maryland and Virginia over the past couple of weeks.
    Soft resets occur while in or attempting a data session. There was at least one report of increased data issues in these markets on other handsets, manifesting in connection timeout errors.
    She will update me as she gets more information and I will let the group here know.

Geoffrey
    Called Sprint wireless web tech support again today to see if there was any status update in the above mentioned trouble ticket. Spoke to Nasser who kept me on the line for 67 mins while he filled out a form. The way I understand, they will notify me when there is an update and if they need any additional troubleshooting information regarding the problem. Anyway, the ticket still has not had any update. It shows that they have not even looked at it yet. At least Nasser was more than willing to help and used all the tools he had to get this worked on. The issue is with the structure of how Sprint tech support is organized... I don't think they are setup to handle problems like this one. Now, I hope it somehow gets fixed soon! Awaiting to hear from my FCC complaint.
    Bram and everyone,

I have several acquaintences who work for Handspring. Everyone at Handspring is very aware of www.TreoCentral.com. They use it as a "pulse" of the people to judge their build quality, their customer service, and overall user experience.

Everyone Handspring employee I've met wishes their products were perfect, never broke, and cost less than $1. However, the real world dictates that LCD screens, batteries, and chips don't come free. Software is still written by humans and can always be improved. But they are proud of their company, they do care very much, and they take all complaints to heart.

With that thought, I have to add that they do discount or ignore the rude, impolite complaints that take on the nature of a rant. Handspring knows NOTHING will make that customer happy or satisfied, so they will not expend the energy or time to "solve" that individual's problem. They will just ask for the unit back and return the money.

They do want to know of valid complaints, stated with all the facts posssible. This helps them isolate and identify the problem and solution much quicker.

Along with everyone here, I hope the Sprint/Treo issues can be permanently and quickly resolved. For everyone who is experiencing the problem and can afford the time, please call/e-mail Sprint and/or Handspring, be polite, and be heard!

John
    personally, though like most others on here i can name ways i think my treo could be better, i love it. sprint vision service is my only real complaint, and according to some of the posts here, they have at least acknowledged the problem, so hopefully a fix is on the way.

at least by participating here, we can be sure of knowing about both the problems and the fixes. i can definitely say that i would not be getting nearly as much use out of my treo 300 without this forum.
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    Vision, other than timing out after a non-use without any indication, has been pretty good to me.

My only real complaint is the lack of decent alarms for voicemail and SMS notification. Come on! *whisper*beepbeep*whisper* doesn't cut it. I can't believe they released a phone that can't ring for one of its most basic functions! Can you imagine Nokia releasing a phone that couldn't ring (normal ringer volume) when it got a voicemail?
    Sorry to be so slow to post again (I've been swamped with my day job). Sprint and Handspring both seem to be working furiously on this problem. I am somewhat limited in what I can say based on promises of confidentiality, but here goes with what I think I can make public without getting in trouble:

1. Sprint and Handspring were able to reproduce the problem in California late on the evening the tech was going to come out, so a trip out here was unnecessary. They obviously went right to work, as an interim build of the firmware was produced overnight and I was asked to beta test it, which I am doing now. I can say that this beta build has completely solved the soft reset problem for me.

2. As I mentioned before, the problem involves at least two parts, network trouble, and how the device responds to that trouble. The trouble has turned out to be mainly congestion (lack of available resources). Sprint has been testing the network extensively and has found that some bottlenecks exist on the data side, especially in the northeast. I was told that certain measures would probably be taken very soon. The network congestion problems won't go away, but are likely to be reduced considerably.

3. As I mentioned above, the reset problem is gone. However, that does not solve the problem of the apparently disappearing connection. Different applications seem to vary in their ability to handle this. So, for example, while Blazer may simply time out, a PQA may initiate a new data session even though the old one appears to be live (but as we all know, it isn't). My experience is mainly limited to Blazer, PQA's, SnapperMail, and Eudora mail. In my experience, SnapperMail and Blazer do not handle this well -- they simply time out. Eudora and web clipping seem to work. A quick resolution is to switch momentarily to the phone screen, then back to the errant application, which will then initiate a new data session.

4. I have to say that Sprint has really been on top of this once it got escalated to the right people. I'm going to be very sorry to go back to the production build of the firmware and back to the reset problems, but I know it's only temporary. My understanding is that once the fix is properly regression tested to make sure it won't break anything else, Sprint/Handspring will figure out how to get it released ASAP.

Let's all hope for the best, and we may be back in much better shape within a week or so.
    At least Sprint is acknowledging the problem and they're working on it as we speak. This would explain why people living in the heavily populated areas with high 3G usage is getting the connection problems where as people who live in places like Buffalo - where it seems like life is like 3 years behind everywhere else - aren't having such problems - YET.

Has Sprint offered any compensation for loss of time and service? I dont think it would be out of the question to be given at least a few months worth of free service.
    www.bubblespeed.com
    Thanks for the update curtiscarmack . Excellent work!
    It's reassuring to know that they're working on it. I just hope when they release the update, we're not going to have to go to a Sprint store to reprogram our phones (the closest one to me is 150 miles away).
    Had an interesting non-reset experience this morning.

Wokeup, pressed the power button. Nothing happened. Pressed it a couple more times, "SPrint Goodbye" (wireless turning off) appeared, maybe I held it for two seconds, anyway, either way, my phone finally turned on. My phone was at 4% battery (it had been at 100% about 6 hours earlier). It was not warm.

After plugging it in, turned wireless mode back on.. got some SMSes and voicemails that had been waiting.

I'm guessing that around 1am a friend sent me a shortmail (SMS). Treo300SMS tried to retrieve it, but couldn't probably because of the data-sessions-die-after-idle-time situation. Somehow that probably hung the transmitter, preventing me from receiving any phone calls (straight to VM) and eventually hanging the Treo and draining the batt.

A little bit longer and I could have woken up to a blank Treo with no idea what happened. That would suck on a trip.

The data-sessions-die-after-time problem needs to be solved, too.
    Originally posted by curtiscarmack
    Sorry to be so slow to post again (I've been swamped with my day job). Sprint and Handspring both seem to be working furiously on this problem. I am somewhat limited in what I can say based on promises of confidentiality, but here goes with what I think I can make public without getting in trouble:

1. Sprint and Handspring were able to reproduce the problem in California late on the evening the tech was going to come out, so a trip out here was unnecessary. They obviously went right to work, as an interim build of the firmware was produced overnight and I was asked to beta test it, which I am doing now. I can say that this beta build has completely solved the soft reset problem for me.

2. As I mentioned before, the problem involves at least two parts, network trouble, and how the device responds to that trouble. The trouble has turned out to be mainly congestion (lack of available resources). Sprint has been testing the network extensively and has found that some bottlenecks exist on the data side, especially in the northeast. I was told that certain measures would probably be taken very soon. The network congestion problems won't go away, but are likely to be reduced considerably.

3. As I mentioned above, the reset problem is gone. However, that does not solve the problem of the apparently disappearing connection. Different applications seem to vary in their ability to handle this. So, for example, while Blazer may simply time out, a PQA may initiate a new data session even though the old one appears to be live (but as we all know, it isn't). My experience is mainly limited to Blazer, PQA's, SnapperMail, and Eudora mail. In my experience, SnapperMail and Blazer do not handle this well -- they simply time out. Eudora and web clipping seem to work. A quick resolution is to switch momentarily to the phone screen, then back to the errant application, which will then initiate a new data session.

4. I have to say that Sprint has really been on top of this once it got escalated to the right people. I'm going to be very sorry to go back to the production build of the firmware and back to the reset problems, but I know it's only temporary. My understanding is that once the fix is properly regression tested to make sure it won't break anything else, Sprint/Handspring will figure out how to get it released ASAP.

Let's all hope for the best, and we may be back in much better shape within a week or so.
    What is the source of "congestion"? There are only a handful of users currently on 3G/Vision relative to Sprint's overall customer base. If congestion is, in fact, the culprit then what happens when the network is really loaded with Vision users?
    coincidentally the problem got worse when they went to unlimited vision so i would say that was part of the problem, but obviously like the old AOHell days, they were not ready for prime time...