Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    I'm also in the NY and am have had the same problem twice in the last week. Each time I would try to connect to data (even through Prefs, Network), the Treo would reset.

I thought the problem might have been a file corruption, so I Hotsynced and prepared to do a hard reset. However, both times, the problem went away after the Hotsync, so I didn't need the reset.

I don't remember if I tried to turn wireless mode off/on, I'll try next time.
    I've been having the same problem as desribed in the original post. For me, turning off/on the wireless mode does not resolve the issue. I've tried several things to resolve the issue but the only thing I can do to resolve the issue each and every time is turn the wireless mode back on after the treo does the soft reset then go into the network prefs and connect using the "Sprint Provisioning" connection. Once it connects I discinnect right away and then try to connect with my normal vision connection. Each time I have tried this, I have been able to connect to the vision service and get a working connection. By the way, I should point out that the "Sprint Provisioning" connection does not allow any data transfer. Obviously this is a workaround to the problem but I would like to know if this works for others, or if it's just coincidence that it is working for me. Thanks!

~Lemieux66
    *posted using my Treo300* ;-)
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    since this past weekend. I thought it was either eudora web, eudora mail, datebk5 or t-button because they are the apps I installed over the weekend.
    I upgraded to Treo Mail 1.5 and that has exacerbated the problem. Treo Mail 1.5 is the first version that downloads in the background, or even while the Treo lid is closed. This means that you can get the soft reset, with the resulting loss of wireless connectivity, and not even be aware that it's happened!

A suggestion: as people contact Sprint tech support, please follow up to this group with the responses you get. This "tag-team" approach should work better, since some SprintPCS tech support people know what they are doing and others are completely clueless.
    Just to add my vote...

I've had the same problem on and off since last week. It stinks!

I've tried reinstalling BC and such, but it's not the phone... there's something on the network doing this.

--
    Newton->Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism->Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 755p->Touch Pro->Palm Pre!
    Amazingly, the Sprint rep I spoke with this morning informed me that this problem has not been identified or elevated as a "system" or network issue! He claimed they must not be getting enough calls that describe the same, specific issue.

Please, if you are experiencing this problem, call (877) 228-2257 and ask for a tier-2 rep, and request that they issue a trouble ticket. Apparently, this is the only way that Sprint will elevate the problem and devote resources to fix it.
    I just started having this problem last night. Up until then I had NO problem at all.

Personally I've tried everything, soft reset, hard reset etc. I just got off my 3rd call to (877) 228-2257 tier-2 and after trying everything they told me to take the Treo to the Sprint Store and have them re-flash the software?

I can get connected to Vision PCS. I get the Green arrows, but nothing comes in?
    Originally posted by Lemieux66
    I've been having the same problem as desribed in the original post. For me, turning off/on the wireless mode does not resolve the issue. I've tried several things to resolve the issue but the only thing I can do to resolve the issue each and every time is turn the wireless mode back on after the treo does the soft reset then go into the network prefs and connect using the "Sprint Provisioning" connection. Once it connects I discinnect right away and then try to connect with my normal vision connection. Each time I have tried this, I have been able to connect to the vision service and get a working connection. By the way, I should point out that the "Sprint Provisioning" connection does not allow any data transfer. Obviously this is a workaround to the problem but I would like to know if this works for others, or if it's just coincidence that it is working for me. Thanks!

~Lemieux66
    *posted using my Treo300* ;-)
    'Sprint Provisioning' has been working for me for the past week or so. I however wait for the arrows to turn grey while on 'SP' before disconnecting and then connecting with my user account. It has worked every single time (to date).
    I've also been having this problem for a while. I finally called the direct tech line on Sunday or Monday evening and was told that there are no known network problems. Tier 2 support suggested I take my phone to a Sprint store for diagnostics. It seems to me unlikely that this is a problem with my phone since so many of us are having problems.

I havforwarded this thread to a contact I have at Sprint corporate and asked her to look into it. I'll post anything I hear.

Geoffrey
    I spent 45 minutes on the phone this morning educating a Sprint tech on this problem. He has reviewed this thread and opened trouble ticket #5589654-021106. Please refer to this ticket if you call in. He was not convinced at first that this was a widespread problem (at least on the east coast), so the more voices we add, the better. I let him know that this made the service worse than useless in many instances, as for most of us, if a soft reset happens during an automatic check of e-mail, for example, we may not realize our phone is off for quite some time.

I'll re-post if/when I get a response.
    The auto-reset thing just started again (4:15 p.m.; Baltimore) ... hadn't had this happen all day until now. What do you suppose Sprint will offer as a credit for the gray hair I've grown since this nonsense began back at the beginning of October? I can't take it much longer!
    The tech I spoke with has elevated the issue and gave me a trouble ticket as well. He had read this thread and has agreed with me that there is a bigger problem.

He mentioned that the issue is that the tower (or the network connecting the towers) is capable of issuing a command to reset the Treo under certain circumstances. Obviously, this is happening when we connect.

Perhaps the tower issues a reset when too many devices are online? perhaps Sprint has a bug in their network software that makes it a little reset-happy...
    Trust me people, Sprint support even that Tier 2 level are totally CLUELESS! I think when you call with a question they go to treo central and look for a solution. I can do that and not even have to wait on hold for an hour.

Here's some of the STUPID answers I've been given. I also posted this on another thread.

1. Give it a couple of days and it should clear up.
    2. I'm not really sure?
    3. Could you hold for about 5mins while I research this more.
    4. When you first set up your phone you should have been told NOT to use the Vision PCS for about 2 weeks, if you do it could cause a security problem.
    Hey all,

I've had this hanging connection problem happen twice now. Both times the problem was immediately corrected by a hard reset. The 2nd time i resisted doing the hard reset and made sprint jump through every tech support hoop with me they had before i finally conceded and within a minute of doing the hard reset on a phone that had lost data connectivity for 2 days i was surfing again. Software issue likely to be corrected only through an update at a later date.

One more thing...to reset NETWORK settings only to factory defaults here's the process.

1.Keypad App, type phone number: ##774 <send>
    2. Reset to factory defaults
    3. Enter code: 645684

This is will reset your network to Sprint Provision and the next time you try to access data it will poll Sprint for your account information (which is bound to your unique ESN
    Last edited by longday; 11/06/2002 at 07:26 PM.
    i'm still not so sure of that. i have been having on-and-off trouble like everybody else. this afternoon i got on fine. just now, i tried to get on, letting blazer connect, and it did the soft reset. then when the phone came back on, i connected through network prefs and got right on. then i disconnected, went back to blazer, and got on that way.

i am more inclined to think that it is a case of too much growth in demand and sprint not keeping up with that in the form of connections to which we can attach. sort of like the old AOL days, as mentioned in an earlier post.
    Originally posted by aarons12
    i'm still not so sure of that. i have been having on-and-off trouble like everybody else. this afternoon i got on fine. just now, i tried to get on, letting blazer connect, and it did the soft reset. then when the phone came back on, i connected through network prefs and got right on. then i disconnected, went back to blazer, and got on that way.

i am more inclined to think that it is a case of too much growth in demand and sprint not keeping up with that in the form of connections to which we can attach. sort of like the old AOL days, as mentioned in an earlier post.
    Hmm. Well how do you explain going from a 2 day outage to full connectivity the instant I do a hard reset? Happy coincindences?
    Hard reset did nothing for me. The only thing that seems to work consistently is to go to Network Preferences, switch the Service tab to Sprint Provisioning, then Connect. I then disconnect, switch the Service tab (actually a drop-down box) back to my Vision user name and reconnect. This always works, but it sure is a pain!!
    Thanks for your reply curtis, I'm glad to hear someone didn't have to hard reset to fix the problem. Good luck to all.
    One correction and one addition to my previous post. First the correction: after a hard reset and reprovisioning, I was able to get a connection. The catch is that the problem reappeared right away. Second, the addition: this procedure suggests that the problem has to do with the network not recogizing the user credentials for some reason, as reprovisioning does temporarily solve the problem.
    longday - actually, looking at everybody else's responses, happy coincidences seems at least as likely as the reset actually fixing it... seems likely enough that by the time you went through a hard reset, there was an open connection for you to use.

indeed, i have found that if i just keep trying, i eventually get on, even after several soft resets, or as is now happening more often, connecting through network prefs just times out and leaves me intact and running, then i try again, and after one or two tries, i usually get on.

so i would say that likely as not, anything that gets you to hold off for a minute or so and try again, lets you have a better chance of getting on.
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast