Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    I too have been having both of these problems. 1) The reset problem has happened to me both manually and automatically. It also does seem to occur around the same time of the day over the last two days. I am in the Philadelphia area. 2) I too noticed being kicked off the network when idle for a long period of time (and the arrows don't necessarily disappear). It has been happening to me here in Philadelphia and last week when I was at a meeting on the west coast (in Seattle, WA). So much for "always on."
    Last edited by jglev; 11/01/2002 at 08:34 PM.
    Jeff
    Originally posted by fgkay

I've had the problem EXACTLY as you describe on my Treo for several weeks now. The strange thing is that this was NOT occuring in Aug & Sept ... just throughout the month of October. My many calls to Sprint's tech support must have triggered an inquiry too the next level, as I am now working with someone in their "Executive Services" area (superb service, I must say).

Just today (10/31), I received a brand-new replacement Treo. I'm working on getting it fully activated and will report back when I've had time to experience how the Vision service is on my new phone. By the way, I've used Sprint service & tons of phones here, in Baltimore, for almost 7 years; so this issue must either be Vision-realted, or some quirk with some of the phones (as the Sprint rep. thinks -- I hope he's right!).
    I'm up and running again on my new Treo. Too early yet to notice whether or not the new phone made any difference -- I seriously doubt it, given the # of users who are now reporting the same problems.

I encourage everyone who is experiencing this "phenomenon" to call Sprint's direct tech support line and complain: (877) 228-2257.

Any speculation as to why this issue is isolated to the East coast?
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Same thing here in philadelphia. Seems to be worse between 5 and 7pm
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Funny thing, it's happening to me right now (9:26). It keeps resetting itself. It is hard to see what the error message is since it goes by so fast, but it seems to be a time-out error.

Oh, wait. The weird thing is, it just signed on after the third try. What's going on?
    Jeff
    I noticed this a.m. that I am having the same connectivity problems again with my brand-new 300. The network prefs. show that I am connected, but Blazer times-out a couple of times, then attempts to connect to my account, then soft resets.

This is on a virgin 300, with 0.0 additional apps loaded, and never hot-synced.
    This has got to be a Sprint problem because I have been following this board -- and have owned -- a Treo since the beginning and nothing like this has ever happened before.

This sucks. My Treo is useless right now (except as a Palm). After the reset when I try to turn wireless mode on -- that works -- but then it automatically tries to data connect and then when the signing on screen comes on, I get the error and then the reset. Back to square one. I can't turn wireless mode on. I can't use the phone at all therefore never mind data.

This is brand new folks; never happened to me before. Unless the Treo is cursed like a timebomb waiting to discombobulate then it has to be Sprint. They better be aware of this problem and working on fixing it.

Keep posting to this thread as soon as you know any more info about this problem. This needs to be fixed.
    you can at least use your unit as a phone. when wireless mode starts and it tried to connect to the web, click on 'cancel'. then go to prefs/network, click on the blue bar at the top and choose prefs again, and tell it not to automatically sign on to the network.
    Invader Zim:

It sounds to me as if your settings are such that your unit automatically tries to do a data connect whenever you turn wireless mode on. Go to Preferences/Network/Options/Preferences and uncheck the box for "Connect to the data network whenever wireless mode is powered on." That way, while this stupid data connection problem persists, you'll at least be able to use the unit as a phone and not be forced to do a soft reset.

Charlie
    Thanks. That's a good idea as a short term emergency fix.
    Originally posted by charlynu
    Invader Zim:

It sounds to me as if your settings are such that your unit automatically tries to do a data connect whenever you turn wireless mode on. Go to Preferences/Network/Options/Preferences and uncheck the box for "Connect to the data network whenever wireless mode is powered on." That way, while this stupid data connection problem persists, you'll at least be able to use the unit as a phone and not be forced to do a soft reset.

Charlie
    fyi ... this setting makes no difference -- I have tried numerous times over the past month with the auto network connect option both on and off.
    i'm sure you are right, it won't make a difference in connecting with the web, but it will at least make it stop trying to connect to the web, and make the phone usable as a phone.
    You're right ... for those instances where the phone starts the auto reset thing, the auto-connect setting can just throw you back into a loop. As to whether this setting otherwise makes a difference with this problem -- it does not.

Some may have noticed I switched my avatar to the kyo-7135. After a month of Sprint's always (NOT) on network bs, that's where I'm headed if Verizon is the carrier.
    I got my Treo August 8 at 9 am (practically the first one in the US) and never had this problem until early October. The problem is two-fold, as described by other posters: (1) the "always on" connection dies but the gray arrows remain and the network preferences panel shows I am connected -- this situation requires me to manually "disconnect" (even though I'm not really connected) and then reconnect. This is a royal pain as it makes every network enabled app tedious to use (e-mail, web, clipping, etc.). This alone is enough to take more than half the joy out of an otherwise wonderful device; (2) at random intervals (though it does take place more often in the afternoon) I cannot get a connection at all in known good signal areas. It will soft reset every time. Last time I called about it, it worked on its own the third time. Occassionally I've gone as long as 48 hours without being able to get a data connection. I live and work in the NJ/NYC area, but have also had this problem once in California.

If Sprint cannot fix this problem, I have a feeling a lot of customers are going to bail out. I know I will be one.
    On THursday Oct 31 I was unable to make a data connect all day. I live in Atlanta. I went to Sprint in the evening to see what was up and while I was on hold it started to work. My symptoms were I would try to connect and it would grind for a long while and then give me a screen with a negative message.

Don't know if the same as yours but I could not do internet at all.
    I also get this problem now... The soft reset by itself.

However, if I turn the phone on with the button I can see the error message... it says something about the blazer timing out and not being able to get a connection...

THis also happens with Business conenction when it gors to sync.

Seems to happen only the 1st time it logs my name on to the netwrok and doesnt happen all the time.

Can we be sure it is a SPRITN problem and not a phone problem.

Mike
    i think from all the posts we can at least be sure that it is EITHER a sprint problem or something that is in ALL the phones. could be a software glitch but in something that is pre-installed and fundamental. either way, i think its sprint who has to figure it out and fix it.
    This is happening more and more frequently to me. Anyone have an update from Sprint or Handspring on the problem?
    It's gotten worse for me in the last few days, too. I'll go through several connection attempts/timeouts/auto-resets, then finally get a connection -- only to have to go through the same damn scenario an hour later. Happens all day long.

Again, has anyone been able to get any info. from Sprint as to what is going on?
    i'm in boston area, same exact problem as everyone else on this thread.

i'll be calling sprint, anyone have any resolutions?

anyone have any palm wireless development equipment to troubleshoot this?
    I wonder if the difficulty signing on has anything to do with the fact that there are now lots more people using the Sprint Vision service since they went unlimited...reminiscent of wen AOL went unlimited and all you could ever get was a busy signal...does Sprint simply need to increase capacity to solve this problem? It arose, it seems, about the same time the unlimited plans went into effect.....
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast