Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    Greetings,
    I just got a hold of Jack Flash, Jack Safe and Jack Sprat from Brayder Technologies. (A friend loaned me the files...) I have to say, these two apps just made my Treo 100% better.

Jack Sprat allows one to access the ROM image on a Palm directly, and remove unwanted applications and EFIGS language files. So, if you live in the US, and don't need your Treo to work with other languages, this saves about 1000kb of flash rom space! (The Treo 270 has a 4 mb Flash Rom, but none of it is available to the user because the language files take up so much space) In addition, I was able to remove applictions, like Expense, Welcome and City Time, none of which do I ever use. Suddenly, when I ran Jack Flash, I had Flash Rom free and available for my own applications! In all, I have freed up 1270kb, which in the Palm environment is quite a bit. For those of you in other countries, you can use Jack Sprat to remove the English language (and others) files instead, it will automatically remove the languages you are using. In case you'd like to restore everything to factory specs, Jack Sprat allows you to create a backup of the rom image and restore it if needed.

Jack Flash is a Flash Rom tool that allows you to move files to and from flash. I for example, have the Palm PQA libraries in flash on the Treo, so I can always use pqas wirelessly. (Treo acts like an i705... and uses less data bytes than web browsing) Best of all, because of this, when there is a new Blazer browser, one can simply remove the old and install the new.

Lastly, Jack Safe enables the flash rom in the event of a hard reset. So, your flash rom files will be visible. This means that you could in effect, create a bullet proof Treo, with your required apps and even contact data in flash rom. After a hard reset, your important files would still be available!

One note: I don't work for or with Brayder, but I will say that the software is worth the $27 or so that they are charging if you buy it as a bundle.

Lastly, this worked great for me on the Treo 270. No garantees on other Treos. I plan on trying the software on my Palm Vx that runs OS4.1 (which to data has been unmodifiable!)

Happy Treoing!
    Just a FYI:

It was TreoCentral's Micheal Ducker that got Bryder to make their tools compatible with the Treo in the first place.

Treo Communicators have Flash ROM
    http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/124-1.htm

The Perils of Flash
    http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/128-1.htm
    I'm sure my Treo 270 has Masked ROM, so I can't change it? I tried JackFlash but it said there was no accessible memory?

Andrew
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    Andyb,
    Read my post carefully. You need to use Jack Sprat to free up the extra rom in the Treo. Because Treo 270s come with the EFIGS rom, there isn't any space in them. Jack Sprat allows you to remove the excess language files along with other files you don't necessarily need.

Try it, it works!
    so the only ROM we can delete are language files? eg german/ french etc, anything else we can delete without rendering the machine useless?
    which versions did you have? the beta versions?
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    [removed by moderator] TreoCentral supports the efforts of developers to write third party programs that enhance the Treo's functionality. We do not allow and never have, linking, or directing to warez groups to get such software illegaly.

This thread will be closed if the issue is discussed again. Thank you
  8. kin
    Be adviced that these programs slow the Treo down (by a subjective amount of up to 15%). And there is a speed issue with TextPlus - makes the Anywhere function too slow to use.

Apart from that, great concept and program!
    Hi,

Installed JackSprat, launched, followed instructions to back-up ROM, came to HotSync, pressed the button - blank screen and nothing happens. Waited for couple of minutes - still nothing. Any ideas?

Thanx a lot.
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    Jack Sprat only works on the 180, 180g and 270.
    My Treo is 270EU, JackSprat version 2.0b9
    I have tried to remove other languages, everything works fine except Sim Service, it will carsh the system when I tried to launch it. At the end of the day I have to restore the ROM back. Any similar experience?
    I've just bought JackSprat and JackFlash, my Treo270EU now has 1343K of FLASH free :-)

I also bought JBBackup, just need to work out how to set that up now!
    OK, so now I've removed the Expenses program, how do I delete the expenses.db file?

When I run JBBackup this database gets backed-up, but I no longer need it do I?
    Where does the treo keep the contact information?

I'm using JBBackup and I can see the ToDo list, MemoPad and DataBook DBs but I can't find the DB with all my contacts in it.

After my last crash I managed to recover most things but not the contacts.
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    I use Beamware quite a bit, a tool that allows to you see everythingin the Treo, including databases in ROM.It willeven beam databases and files from ROM... that's howI added the second button menu to a Treo 300. Looking in Beamware, the addressbook files are:
    addressdb
    addresscitiesdb
    addresscountriesdb
    addresscompaniesdb
    addressstatesdb
    addresstitlesdb

Hope this helps!
    OK ... I'm excited.

Can this Jack* product (which one???) be used to make a backup of the entire Flash ROM to be restored if the GPRS upgrade attempt (in US) messes things up???

I use ATT Wireless and voice functions fine now (pre-GPRS), but I need the GPRS for a few things.

But I cannot risk the GPRS upgrade without a secure rollback plan!!!!

Anyone confirm that Jack* does the trick?

Thanks.

...Terry.
    ...Terry.
    Nope - This is becuase the GPRS update updates not only the Treo's OS RAM, but also the Radio's flash ram. JackSprat/Flash cannot access the Radio's ram.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    Thanks for the reply!!!

Well. that's the icing on the cake then.

We need someone ambitious out there to write a Radio ROM backup / restore utility.

Anyone?

...Terry.
    tgauch@yahoo.com
    ...Terry.
    Originally posted by z3bum
    the addressbook files are:
    addressdb
    addresscitiesdb
    addresscountriesdb
    addresscompaniesdb
    addressstatesdb
    addresstitlesdb

Hope this helps!
    What about AddressHashDB? Is that a temp file of some sort or is it necessary?