1.    #1  
    Ok, I have read and re-read all the eMail/SMS Threads I can find.

I have installed and uninstalled Many different apps

Crashed my Phone Many times testing different Methods

Perhaps what I want just does not exist yet, but if it does, or if someone is working on it could you let me know where to go.

I just recently had to give up my Blackberry, (I never realized how attached I was to it, but I figured no biggie, I have my Treo 300, It can do it, It can do averything.

Here is my Wish list.

For use on the Treo 300
    I want my Treo to Replace my Blackberry mail

Direct Pop3 Mail access (No conduits, or running PC's Required)
    Auto Checking and Downloading of Mail.
    Audible Notification of new mail.
    Use of SMTP Authentication for Sending mail (or access to an unprotected SMTP)

Basejet is close, but does not seem to work with SMTPAUTH

SnapperMail was very close, but does not tell me when I get new mail

Treo300SMS.... well, the character limits, and limitations on responding to messages just did not quite cut it, not to mention, not seeing subject lines

Please Help

I want my MTV... Um I want my Email

Jimmydo2
    Jimmydo2
    Is there any mail app that supports auto-checking of e-mail. As in, turn the device on, check the e-mail, and "bing-bing" when there is some? Every 10 mins, 30 mins, certain times etc?
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    I was under the impression that BaseJet required a running PC (the reason I won't consider it). Also it only supports 1 E-Mail account (AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK).

Snappermail was SUPPOSED to add an auto-fetch/notify feature but last I looked (and, again, I could be wrong) that hasn't been implemented yet.

=NLK=
    While it's no panacea, TreoMail can be set to pull your email up to every 30 minutes...it then alerts you if you have new mail (and stays silent if you don't).
  5.    #5  
    Actually I tried Snapper mail and it Fetches my mail great.... it just does not have a notification to let you know when you have new mail
    Jimmydo2
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    Originally posted by jimmydo2
    Ok, I have read and re-read all the eMail/SMS Threads I can find.

-snip-

For use on the Treo 300
    I want my Treo to Replace my Blackberry mail

Direct Pop3 Mail access (No conduits, or running PC's Required)
    Auto Checking and Downloading of Mail.
    Audible Notification of new mail.
    Use of SMTP Authentication for Sending mail (or access to an unprotected SMTP)

Basejet is close, but does not seem to work with SMTPAUTH

-snip-

Jimmydo2
    Can anyone verify (or contradict) that Basejet standalone does NOT do SMTP Auth.

I've been playing with it and see where to enter the SMTP server but there's no AUTH settings. I put in SMTP.SPRINTPCS.COM and tried to send messages but they never got to their destination. Then I realized that maybe SPRINT was kicking them back but, because there's a proxy involved, I wasn't notified.

I really like the elegance of BaseJet but the fact that it has only one POP account and now this (if true) seem to be too much to have to overcome.

=NLK=
    Originally posted by nlk10010

Can anyone verify (or contradict) that Basejet standalone does NOT do SMTP Auth.

I've been playing with it and see where to enter the SMTP server but there's no AUTH settings. I put in SMTP.SPRINTPCS.COM and tried to send messages but they never got to their destination. Then I realized that maybe SPRINT was kicking them back but, because there's a proxy involved, I wasn't notified.

I really like the elegance of BaseJet but the fact that it has only one POP account and now this (if true) seem to be too much to have to overcome.

=NLK=
    Reading the release notes on the Basejet site, it says that SMTP AUTH was included in the June 2002 release. On the support discussion database it states that the SMTP AUTH information has to be the same as the POP3 login info, so same name and password for both POP3 and SMTP AUTH. I think they are working on adding a separate setting for SMTP AUTH name/login.
    Can anyone figure out how to get basejet to push e-mail to the device every 30 minutes or so when using it as a POP3 standalone. I have polling set to 30 and the day setting to all days - but it won't fetch the mail.
    Darren Greenspoon
    www.allstarsportscamp.ca
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    Have you tried Mark/Space Mail? Out of all the e-mail programs I tried, this one comes closest to matching the capabilities of the Blackberry and Palm i705.

One of the best features is auto-checking e-mail. I have mine set to auto-check my Mac.com POP3 account every 10 minutes between 7:30am and 10:00pm (you can set it for whatever times you like). Every 10 minutes, it turns the phone on, connects, and downloads e-mail. It also supports SMTP authorization (which most ISPs require for sending messages), handles multiple accounts, has filtering, and great integration with the address book.

Its not perfect, though. It doesn't beep or otherwise indicate when messages come in. I've worked around this by mapping the notepad button to the e-mail program so I just press the button and scan the e-mail list to see if any new messages have arrived. Not as good as a beep, but not bad.

Also, no attachment viewing. But, I haven't seen a great solution for that on Blackberry either.

If you can live with the basic POP3-type features, this seems like a great program.