Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Was shocked to see when I got home a box from sprintpcs. Inside I found a new vehicle charger and a note stating the old one was no good! Can't believe they did all this on their own.
    Is this anything that we should all be concerned about? I still have not used my included vehicle charger.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    I haven't used mine yet either. What exactly did the note say?
  4.    #4  
    seems there is a problem with it giving an error to the handheld with a low battery. I have never had a problem but they say to throw the old one away.. There is another post on the discussions about this also.
    as soon as i saw the title 'shocked' i knew it would be about getting the adapter in the mail. i got mine today too. i have used the one that came with it and the only problem i had was that it was a little hard to unplug, as noted in other threads on this BBS.

they said something about the output not being sufficient when the battery was low and you were both charging and using the phone, which caused some crashes. i did not have that problem, but it was nice of them to send another one...
    and this my friends is why you register your device
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    I had experienced the errors they noted -- this past weekend, in fact. Basically, when using the auto adaptor and talking on the phone too, the battery drains. After hanging up, the phone recharges. My impression was -- every time it recharges to full capacity, the phone fails, forcing a soft reset. It reoccured about 5 times before I just unplugged the recharger and started using it on pure battery.

With all our criticism (elsewhere on this board) of Sprint's customer service, it's pretty cool that they took this initiative. :-)
    Doug
    Doug
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    how do you register your device? I thought that was taken care of when I activated the device w/ sprint. Is their another step? Also I got mine from Circuit City, did you guys who received areplacement get from sprint website? thanks.
    Glenn
    I would think the *important* question is... where did you buy your *vehicle* adaptor (assuming you have one). I ordered my vehicle adaptor from the Sprint PCS website. It goes without saying that if you picked one up from Best Buy, Sprint won't know to send you a replacement.
    Doug
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Originally posted by miradu
    and this my friends is why you register your device
    I have not received a new charger yet. I bought my Treo through Handspring, which automatically registers the Treo if I remember correctly. Is there anyone else who registered but did not receive a charger today?
    I qualify for being truly shocked because I did not register my device, nor did I purchase it from Sprint or Handspring. I bought my first Treo from Fry's (electronics store) before returning it and rebuying it from Best Buy (I bought the Best Buy one only a week ago).

For all of Sprint's issues, this impressed me. I am used to companies offering replacements (if you send it in, or call and complain) but to send them to all customers (even one who bought it from a thrid party) without asking was pretty impressive. Not to mention that the car adapter was a freebe in the first place!

What really shocked me, however, was the cd that came with the new adapter that included all of the software that you need to do the cool things that the Treo is designed for .... AND THEN I WOKE UP

Seriously, thumbs up to Sprint for sending it to all users. Now lets get ready for the hoards of people who (for some reason ) don't get theirs and start ranting and raving!
    I believe from what I've read previously on this forum that the charger that was causing problems was specifically the one shipped with the Treo when you ordered it from Sprint. I've heard the one that is shipped when you order from Handspring works fine. (Personally, the one I received when I received my Treo from Handspring has never caused a problem)

So it is possible the only people who are receiving new car chargers are those who ordered their Treo through Sprint.

Josh
    Originally posted by joshuajestelle

So it is possible the only people who are receiving new car chargers are those who ordered their Treo through Sprint.

Josh
    Nope, bought my Treo 300 on Ebay. They sent me two car chargers. Kudos to Sprint for taking the initiative.

Tae
    t2
    Hi there,

Kevin from Handspring here. In case any of you havenít registered your Treos and are interested in doing so, Iíve included a link that explains how to do it. Itís very quick and easy, and the advantages include eligibility for technical support via phone and email, and that when you do contact tech support, they already know your configuration.

How do I register my Handspring handheld or VisorPhone?
    http://support.handspring.com/esuppo...sType=RESEARCH

Just wanted to let you know.

Sincerely,
    Kevin
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Kevin Michaels
    kevin.michaels@palm.com
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Check out whatís new at
    http://www.palm.com/
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    According to the link:

Treo 300 customers: Your product was already registered with Sprint during service activation.
    I got my new vehicle charger yesterday as well. I purchased my Treo from a Sprint store. I don't remember registering at the Handspring web site.

Very impressed that Sprint took the initiative to send it out...although being the cynic, I wonder if they did it to prevent permanent damage from happening to the Treo if you use the old charger (which means we'd all be asking for a new Treo in addition to the new charger!). In the letter, Sprint repeats in bold letters to "throw away your old charger" over and over again. Makes me wonder if they know something we don't.

I also encountered the error mentioned in the letter. Battery was real low and the LED on the Treo kept going from red to green to flashing green after I plugged in the charger. Then, it crashed. Get the new charger if you haven't already.

The old charger has the "Up" lable inscribed on the connector. The new one does not, and looks like an aftermarket charger.
    Originally posted by Kevin Michaels
    Hi there,

Kevin from Handspring here. In case any of you havenít registered your Treos and are interested in doing so, Iíve included a link that explains how to do it. Itís very quick and easy, and the advantages include eligibility for technical support via phone and email, and that when you do contact tech support, they already know your configuration.

How do I register my Handspring handheld or VisorPhone?
    http://support.handspring.com/esuppo...sType=RESEARCH

Just wanted to let you know.

Sincerely,
    Kevin
    Yeas Yeah Yeah - The first thing you will say once we open our mouths and say Treo 300 - will be - call Sprint.

You know I never dealt with handspring previously, and to be honest I was quite shocked when you reported that you do not support the 300 directly - sending users to the branded owner - man that sucks. Does not Handpsring realize that the people who uses these devices are on the bleading edge of technology and 9 times out of 10 know well more about this stuff than Sprint?

I mean - no downloads, no manuals, no nothing - sheesh. What a copout
    here here. Treo is by all intensive purposes, a Handspring item. Questions regarding service and even vision should go to Sprint. Techinical questions about Treo should go to Handspring.

Unless they've trained a staff of Treo people at Sprint, I expect to get the same service I get when calling about a regular phone: all they know is what is in the manual. They litterally load it up on screen and read you what you already know. Now I know people don't read their manuals, but for people with bigger problems, reading the manual doesn't help.

Ironically, when I called Sprint with a question, the CSR surfed to handspring.com and was checking the Treo 180 FAQ.

It's unavoidable. Handspring knows Treo. Sprint knows how many minutes I have left this month.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    For those of you who received a new cable, when did you purchase your Treos? I bought one at a Sprint store about 1 week ago and received a cable with "up" on it. I wonder if this cable is a problem cable?
    Major Kudos to Sprint for sending me out the new charger. Their call support might be spotty on the Treo but they sent me the new charger without any prompting. I had not noticed the problem.

On the subject of Handspring supporting the Treo 300, the fact of the matter is that this is an OEM product sale to Sprint. The deal between companies like Nokia, LG, Sanyo etc and Sprint is that they get the product at a negotiated price which includes the responsibility to provide adequate support. Just because Handspring could provide the support does not mean that they have the desire to spend all that money on call center staff to keep us all happy.

You have to look at the big picture - in a few years time it will be extremely rare for companies like Handspring to ever get direct calls/emails from us. Does anyone ever call HTC about the T-Mobile PocketPC phone - I dont think so. You would need to speak Traditional Chinese for a start. Go to Dangers website and look for a phone number for support - it does not exist.

I work in the support business and know the cost of providing support - it is not cheap. Every time you call or email a company it is a direct cost. The manufacturer has a responsibility to provide products of quality and it must be reasonably plain how it operates. The American public is used to very high standards of call support but this kind of handholding support is not that common worldwide.

PS Sprint - please improve your Palm OS training for CSRs.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast