1.    #1  
    I like the snappermail demo product, I think most of the authorization problems and such are due to Sprint email problems.

I really like the idea of keeping MS Office attachments in their native format and being able to view/edit them on the Treo. Snapperfish lists the powerpoint and excel capabilities as 'in development'. Do you think they'll be able to pull that off? I also like the integration with quickoffice - but quickoffice requires the PC to be an intermediary formatter right?

Any reason why I shouldn't buy this product?

thanks,

Steve
    Have you read any of the SnapperMail public beta threads at Yahoo! Groups? (groups.yahoo.com) I'd look those over before making a final decision.

Personally, I prefer Aileron by Corsoft (www.corsoft.net).

Geoffrey
    I'm on the fence as well. It's too bad the "perfect" email program hasn't surfaced yet (I'm sure this comment will reincite the Eudora versus the world debate!).

My issues with Snappermail are the need to use Quickword... I have Wordsmith and really don't want to buy another program (in addition to the $60 for Snappermail).

Second, I might be missing it, but I didn't find a timed pull setting on Snappermail.

I love the interface, and the finger-navigation, but I am not sold. FYI, I've just installed Basejet which is facinating complex (perhaps too much so) and I have not been able to pull simple POP3 email. I dislike any wireless "solution" that involves compannion programs running on my PC.

Finally, I dislike their two-tiered upgrade plan. In the day-and-age of disappearing apps and changing hardware, I have little faith in the concept of "lifetime upgrades" being a major value. I do, however, want more than just "minor bug fixes" for my $40.

My wishlist (similar to many others..hint hint email companies)

- Jog dial support
    - Multiple POP (and hopefully IMAP) accounts
    - Folders for filing
    - One touch, lid closed, pull and read
    - Viewing attachements (I don't even care about edit) but I do not want to buy another program to read.
    - Pure wireless, no other programs, etc
    - SMS notification is nice, but no big deal. Smart notification would be better (filter to notify only high-importance or from a specific person would be nice!)
    It is important to note that attachments currently do NOT work with Sprint's network. Sprint is wrapping all .doc, .html etc. files with .cab compression . Snappermail is unable to open them. This is a problem with the Sprint network. They claim it is a "feature" which reduces the data download. I recommend complaining to Sprint to get this "feature" removed.
    Basejet does all the items listed, except multiple accounts.

Basejet had one-touch sync/read since their June 2002 release. Hold down the mapped hard key to sync mail. Press it again to read the newest email. Press again to go to the next email. If an email contains attachments, hold the button down and it will display the attachment. Press it once more to go back to the message.

Press the jog dial to go back to the inbox. Use the up/down jog dial to navigate through the list. Two rapid movements up or down will scroll the list. A single movement up or down will highlight the previous/next message.

There are so many more features, including on-device polling, built-in attachment viewers for .doc,.pdf,.txt,.html,.vcf,.vcs,.jpg,.gif,.tif,.bmp,.png,.pcx - you don't have to send your attachments to a third-party company to have them converted and then sent back to you just to view it, also you're not required to have third-party viewers on your device to view the attachment. I have never had to edit an attachment - I just want to read/view it quickly.

And best of all, it's FREE! Why pay for a BETA? Who pays for a BETA that has less features than a FREE application that has 10X features?

They also have a great support discussion database at http://www.basejet.com/support and they offer free email support at support@basejet.com

By the way, you do not need to run the desktop component if you just want standalone POP3/IMAP access to your accounts. Just delete/disable all of the desktop components, set your preferences on the device and then do a wireless sync.

My wishlist for this product:
    - Multiple accounts
    - SSL support
    - Full sync on customs folders
    - Fix SMS trigger sync on Treo 300
    - Fix all known bugs (of course!)

I would never pay for a BETA! Especially for a brand new product through a company that has no history. Why pay for a product and do their work for them by helping them debug their application? I don't mind helping developers debug a FREE product.
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    Originally posted by jhubers
    It is important to note that attachments currently do NOT work with Sprint's network. Sprint is wrapping all .doc, .html etc. files with .cab compression . Snappermail is unable to open them. This is a problem with the Sprint network. They claim it is a "feature" which reduces the data download. I recommend complaining to Sprint to get this "feature" removed.
    See, that's what I don't understand, quite. I can use Inbox2Go and Aileron and attachments come through fine. With SnapperMail, as we know, SOME attachments come as CABS. So my two questions are:

1. Is it just a coincidence that Sprint DOESN'T convert TXT, ZIP and JPEG files (precisely the ones that you CAN view natively in SnapperMail) to CABS? Now I suppose it could be the other way around; i.e. SM provided viewers for precisely those formats that weren't converted, but I'm not convinced;

2. Do the other programs I mentioned work with attachments because they use a proxy server and that converts the attachments? In that case then can I infer that ANY e-mail program that pulls directly from a POP server is going to have the same CAB problem that SM does?

Thanks for any light you can shed on this (sort of narrows the issues down).

=NLK=
    Originally posted by nlk10010

See, that's what I don't understand, quite. I can use Inbox2Go and Aileron and attachments come through fine. With SnapperMail, as we know, SOME attachments come as CABS.
    I think Snappermail treats attachments as REAL attachments which Sprint tries to compress to keep the size down. For other apps like Aileron, Basejet, & Inbox2Go, they hide the attachments within the message body somehow so that the carriers do not mess with it.

Does anyone else have insight on this?
    Not sure about the others, but Aileron gets around this by using a proxy server which converts the attachments to a palm file type. Sprint leaves these alone.
    Is there a workaround for the cab files?