1.    #1  
    Any ideas on a driver for the TREO300 so we can get online with it via the USB and a laptop?
    Sprint is aware of this, but they cannot do anything until handspring writes a USB driver for the treo, once then they can release their connection software.
    This smells oddly of the Sprint/Airprime/Handspring deal where everyone is waiting on everyone else to write code or authorize code to be written for the digital link module. Hanspring, from what it seems, is trying to distance itself from Treo300 by calling it a Sprint product (i.e. no service, no support, etc.)

Just being pessamistic, but companies tend to not spend money to develop a product that they do not claim as their own.
    I know it's lame!!!
    Originally posted by BrianV
    Sprint is aware of this, but they cannot do anything until handspring writes a USB driver for the treo, once then they can release their connection software.
    It doesn't take Handspring to write a USB driver for it...it isn't rocket science (maybe it is). I suspect the issue is that the parties don't want to write/deal with the Palm portion. The USB driver is only part of the story...it also needs Palm based software.

It took me a few weeks, but I have a working USB driver for Mac OS X...considering I've never written a USB driver before, I think that the task is not difficult for a good Windows USB developer.

Considering that HotSync uses a USB driver, one already exists for this device.
    Originally posted by sgruby

It doesn't take Handspring to write a USB driver for it...it isn't rocket science (maybe it is). I suspect the issue is that the parties don't want to write/deal with the Palm portion. The USB driver is only part of the story...it also needs Palm based software.

It took me a few weeks, but I have a working USB driver for Mac OS X...considering I've never written a USB driver before, I think that the task is not difficult for a good Windows USB developer.

Considering that HotSync uses a USB driver, one already exists for this device.
    I wondered about the usb driver with the hotsync.

However, I don't think palm code needs to be written, the windows side is what needs to be written which apparently already is by Sprint.
    Originally posted by BrianV

I wondered about the usb driver with the hotsync.

However, I don't think palm code needs to be written, the windows side is what needs to be written which apparently already is by Sprint.
    While you're right to your opinion that you don't think Palm code needs to be written, I don't see any way for a laptop to talk to the wireless module inside of the Treo without Palm code. It appears that the USB interface and module interfaces are not very sophisticated and don't have a pass through (at least I haven't found one). The Kyocera smart phones have pretty slick module interfaces that let you do a pass through and connect your laptop to your phone; when you do that (you have to run an app on the phone), the phone registers as a standard USB modem (no special drivers required) on the laptop (at least it did for Mac OS X).

(It looks like you're new around here...I already wrote a program for the Treo that lets me connect my PowerBook to my Treo 300 and use the Treo as a modem. So it appears that there needs to be both a desktop/laptop component as well as a Treo component.)
    Scott,
    I understand from reading the history that you had to deal with some real rude people in the course of fielding your beta software. I am an OS X 10.2 using Treo 300 owner however, who would love to beta test your driver and I am sure there are others who are understanding of the notion of beta software. Is there no way to talk you into provinding this to the community, even at cost, to allow us to have some sort of solution for this very hot issue. Thanks Carl
    Scott. Two questions. Is there still an issue with being disconnected after a short time? and...what data speeds are you getting?

This issue is big enough for me, that I would definitely consider switching to Mac X if the solution is there.

Thanks
    Matt
    Originally posted by newamiga
    Scott,
    I understand from reading the history that you had to deal with some real rude people in the course of fielding your beta software. I am an OS X 10.2 using Treo 300 owner however, who would love to beta test your driver and I am sure there are others who are understanding of the notion of beta software. Is there no way to talk you into provinding this to the community, even at cost, to allow us to have some sort of solution for this very hot issue. Thanks Carl
    While the software doesn't need beta testers (it already works), you can send email to treo300@notifymail.com indicating that you'd like to try the app with Mac OS X 10.2 and I'll send the link. However, the software costs $65.
    Originally posted by u00mem9
    Scott. Two questions. Is there still an issue with being disconnected after a short time? and...what data speeds are you getting?

This issue is big enough for me, that I would definitely consider switching to Mac X if the solution is there.

Thanks
    Matt
    I've been connected for upwards of 20 minutes without problems. As for speeds, they're not great...somewhere in the 14 kbps download and 45 kbps upload. My guess on the download speed is that we're going through some sort of transparent proxy that is making a mess out of things and the processor in the Treo is not fast enough to push the data between the modem and the USB port. I've done all the tweaking I can think of, but it isn't the fastest.

However, for my own uses (that's why I originally developed it), it works quite well.