1.    #1  
    OK. I'm frustrated.

I need to find some way to get my corporate email on my treo.

1. Desktop based push clients including BC are just flaky and unreliable- always failing while I'm on the road.

2. My company does not offer pop or smtp (web) accessable email.

3. My company uses Exchange.

4. My company requires VPN access to get in, even over dial-up.

Aargh. Anyone have any ideas about how to be able to leave my laptop at home and get RELIABLE e-mail access on the road under these circumstances?

Any ideas at all?

D.
    I don't have any suggestions but I'm just curious, why is your BC so bad? I use it, and it's great -- always on, push always works.

Were you the one having the problem of it regularly disconnecting for some reason, and you were trying to figure out a way to restart it remotely?

I don't know, there's got to be something wrong with your work network if BC is going down that much.
    And BTW, derek, I think your "skin condition" is getting even worse as Halloween approaches.
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by MobileDave
    I don't have any suggestions but I'm just curious, why is your BC so bad? I use it, and it's great -- always on, push always works.

Were you the one having the problem of it regularly disconnecting for some reason, and you were trying to figure out a way to restart it remotely?

I don't know, there's got to be something wrong with your work network if BC is going down that much.
    Well, the reason it goes down so much is for two reasons...

1. I use a software based cisco vpn client and they are inherently unreliable, plus corp times out connections on a periodic basis if activity falls below a certain level. If the vpn client goes down, I cant reach my exchange server so no BC.

2. Sprint seems to screw with the BC servers every once in a freat while requiring a reconnect, which I can't seem to automate.

D.
    Treo Mail from Handspring and other solutions like Basejet use SSL encrypted 'desktop assistants' to send your email out thru a firewall. If you are willing to leave a PC on but locked with a screensaver/NT password which forwards your mail then you have a solution to get your Exchange email. I did this for some time until my company moved to a Treo Mail Enterprise server. It worked very well and got me my mail promptly.

The enterprise server is a better option longterm as there are physical security implications and inconvenience of leaving a PC logged in doing the forwarding and receiving to the Exchange server. Better to have a server product do this.

Some IT managers frown upon the allowing an SSL connection thru their firewall even if it is to a secure email service provider like Visto or Basejet. I personally think that the physical security of the Treo is more important as you may leave your Treo lying around without any method to prevent access to your mail. The problem that all mobile mail devices that are also phones have today is preventing access to email for prying eyes while maintaining 911 ability of the phone. Many Palm OS locking products dont take account of the fact that someone may need to call 911 from your phone but you need the Palm OS password just to get to the dialer.
  6.    #6  
    Originally posted by Poryphyron
    Treo Mail from Handspring and other solutions like Basejet use SSL encrypted 'desktop assistants' to send your email out thru a firewall. If you are willing to leave a PC on but locked with a screensaver/NT password which forwards your mail then you have a solution to get your Exchange email. I did this for some time until my company moved to a Treo Mail Enterprise server. It worked very well and got me my mail promptly.

The enterprise server is a better option longterm as there are physical security implications and inconvenience of leaving a PC logged in doing the forwarding and receiving to the Exchange server. Better to have a server product do this.

Some IT managers frown upon the allowing an SSL connection thru their firewall even if it is to a secure email service provider like Visto or Basejet. I personally think that the physical security of the Treo is more important as you may leave your Treo lying around without any method to prevent access to your mail. The problem that all mobile mail devices that are also phones have today is preventing access to email for prying eyes while maintaining 911 ability of the phone. Many Palm OS locking products dont take account of the fact that someone may need to call 911 from your phone but you need the Palm OS password just to get to the dialer.
    Yah, I think I need to somehow persuade a billion dollar company to use an enterprise server for this. I doubt I can however.

Treo Mail would pose the same problem as BC personal edition, if my VPN client drops, so does treo mail.

On another note: Are you saying the difference between TM and BC however is that TM can get thru a FW while BC cannot?
    Treo Mail went thru my corporation firewall without a hitch - if you can purchase stuff online thru a browser at your desk then you can probably use Treo Mail. You have little to lose trying it as long as opening an SSL hole in the firewall does not get IT breathing heavily down your neck. If there is some funky proxy in your firewall you may have a little more hassle but it generally works fine.
    BC works fine for me with the push.

I was hasving it mysteriously disconnect at my desktop from time to time, but that seemed to have gone away with the latest software versions.

Mike