Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm trying to get AOL Instant Messenger on my phone without having to pay Palm $20. There is a workaround link to that download. Anyone know the download link? Can anyone give it to me?

It should be something like AIM.prc....I talked to a lvl 2 PCS technician at Sprint and he gave me the URL to find this download, but I forgot what that address was...it was something like http://aim.sprintpcs.com, but not exactly...well, anyone willing to give me that download either thru email or what not, I would greatly appreciate it!

Cause Treo phones should have a working AIM on there, but Sprint sucks like that.

Joseph Tse
    tse79@yahoo.com
    I just emailed you the prc (version 1.1, build 5). You're right, it appears AOL started charging $19.95 for it -- lame. This version works for me.
    Does anyone have some free web space to post this download (like a more accessible yahoo-briefcase type thing)? I ran into the frustration of the $20 aim, too, and couldn't convince myself to pay that much for something that a) I can download for free on my computer, and b) I used for free on my old 2G phone. Grrr! Haha, anyone feeling generous enough to email yet another user the prc file?
    I highly recommend that you DO NOT download the free AIM program

it will DESTROY your treo

I had to go through many HARD RESETS while it was on my treo

Honestly.....just pay the $20 for the better program......its better for your treo, efficient, faster, and much better
    BLUETOOTH!!!!
    i use the free AIM all the time. it works great.

last time i looked AIM was free and you only had to pay for AOL for palm. for that matter, aol software for PC is free too! AOL is getting greedy or desperate... sheesh.
    Last edited by aarons12; 10/29/2002 at 07:06 AM.
    Those of you looking to download the old version for free... here's some links: (the last one being the most relavent)

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...threadid=28457
    http://www.aol.co.uk/aim/palm/index.html
    http://www.aol.co.uk/ftp/pub/palm/aolaim.prc

Josh
    I have the AIM that I got free off of aol.com from a long time ago. I get fatal exceptions when logging in with my main AIM account, the only difference between this account and the ones that work is that on the crashing account I havfe like 190 contacts, I think AIM can't allocate the necessary memory or something.

Is the version for sale a different version? I have 1.1 build 5
    The euro one doesn't seem to import the buddy list from the AIM server.
    AIM caused big problems for me as well. Wouldn't mind paying for it IF it is a newer version that works, and will not cause me to have to do a hard reset.
    What luck has anybody had with the Pay version???
    Thought I may add that this is definately an issue with the aim program. This has happened on my I300 as well as my old Palm3.
    so is there a version that can be used on the Treo that want cause this?
    I briefly ran AIM on my Treo 300 and it appeared to work fine. However, I ran it in the Palm OS Emulator (a developer tool) and it showed all kinds of issues about how things were done wrong in the application. I'm very surprised that the developer never ran the application on the emulator as I believe he/she would have caught many problems.
    Originally posted by HasanDaddy
    I highly recommend that you DO NOT download the free AIM program

it will DESTROY your treo

I had to go through many HARD RESETS while it was on my treo

Honestly.....just pay the $20 for the better program......its better for your treo, efficient, faster, and much better

So, is the AIM for $20 different then the "free" ones found on the UK server etc .... I'm willing to pay the $20 but can't find any proof that there is a difference.

Anyone know for sure?

David
    AIM works fine on my TREO...Never a problem...
    I wonder if we can get some confusion cleared up.

There have been many different AOL clients for the Palm.

I have a AOL for VII email client that uses Web Clipping. It works great. You do need to get all of the Web Clipping files loaded for Palm OS 3.5.

I have AOL 2.0 build 30. I also got this when using a Palm IIIc and a dial up modem. It acutally uses the built in wireless modem of the Treo 300 to dial into AOL via a phone call. (I think it is a real phone call, not a "data" connection, so watch the minutes.) It works and seems to be a combination AIM/AOL Mail client. I was unable to find a way to make a direct TCP/IP connection so I think it does not use the Vision Connection.

Lastly, thanks to the links earlier in this thread, I downloaded and installed AIM. It uses a tcp/ip connection and worked fine. It seems to be version 1.1 (build 5)

I have attached a copy of AOL for Palm VII to this message.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Originally posted by Smartphone Fan
    I wonder if we can get some confusion cleared up.

There have been many different AOL clients for the Palm.

Lastly, thanks to the links earlier in this thread, I downloaded and installed AIM. It uses a tcp/ip connection and worked fine. It seems to be version 1.1 (build 5)

Yep ... I would love to get this clear up too ... I'm now running version 1.0UK ... is this less likely to call the dreaded DataMgr.C error, or would I'd be best to pay the $20 and get the latest Palm version on the AOL web site?

David
    I remember downloading it when it was free and remembered the link was to AOL's FTP server... So I checked their FTP server to see if it is still there, and sure enough it is Enjoy!

ftp://ftp.aol.com/aim/palm/aim11.prc

~Lemieux66
    Originally posted by Lemieux66
    I remember downloading it when it was free and remembered the link was to AOL's FTP server... So I checked their FTP server to see if it is still there, and sure enough it is Enjoy!

ftp://ftp.aol.com/aim/palm/aim11.prc

~Lemieux66

But does this version cause the dreaded Datamgr. C error?

David
    Yeah that one does.
    I never get that error with it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast