Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I've had no problems using this version. It was the first app I ever installed on my Treo and works perfectly. The version of AIM that AOL is charging $20 for is version 1.1, but it doesn't say what build.

~Lemieux66
    btw, I wrote this post on my treo
    the datamgr error only appears to happen on real big buddy lists.
    Is this a full version of AIM, or one like those used on cell phones that utitilizes the "Mobile Buddies" group?

Guess I could trim down my buddy list... anyone have any idea how many will crash it?

Thanks!
    Originally posted by KellyBD
    Is this a full version of AIM, or one like those used on cell phones that utitilizes the "Mobile Buddies" group?

Guess I could trim down my buddy list... anyone have any idea how many will crash it?

Thanks!
    This is a stand alone version which allows you to add/remove buddies right from the communicator. It doesn't let you "get info" on a buddy nor does it show away messages. So you have to IM the user to see if they are there or not. But other than that it is just like the full version.

~Lemieux66
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    My experiences with the free version of AIM for Palm was that it really screwed up the Palm. In fact, on one of my Palms, it completely disabled it! I had to reload the OS to fix the problem. There is a Yahoo Group, TreoCracks... please upload the not-for-free version there so we can all try it. You'll find some other good stuff there, including Ringo 3.0, Treo Button (which works on the Treo 300) etc.
    Thanks.
  6.    #26  
    z3bum, I went on yahoo groups
    treocracks, and there is no real version AOL IM there.

What are you talking about? Theres only 13 posts there and no AIM, somebody must have taken it down, but it doesnt look like theres too many users on that group. They had quickoffice 6 there though, i took that.--not like quickoffice is very good since the resolution sucks so bad for excel and word.

Anyone know of a crack where you can see for AIM if the users are away or not? cause its really annoying that you can't see that or not, i guess the stupid browser doesn't support certain graphics, or it was just not programmed. And for $20 the fact that you dont have that full functionality makes it a ripoff. For $20 you should be able to do everything that the desktop version can do, and the desktop one is free for godsakes!

josephtse
    OK - I need the scoop with AOL Instant Messenger... I've got it installed on my Treo (AIM version 1.1 build 5), but it doesn't work for crap. If I have the application on the screen I can have conversations, but if the screen shuts off (after the timeout) or I switch to another application, I don't receive any messages, and if I try to send an IM I get an error that says 'User xxxxxxx is not available' - how the heck is this a solution???? Please advise... I'd be happy to pay the $20 if it is the solution, but I really need AIM to work to be totally happy with my Treo. Thanks in advance.

-msb
    When you turn the screen off I think the PDA goes into a like sleep mode, where the OS and program is stil lresiding in memory but it's not processing. Handpsring mods the OS to allow phonecalls and messages to come in, but AIM is not this way. You can get the hack that never turns your unit off.

I think this is how it works.
    Post Removed.
  10.    #30  
    IM ON A CONTRACT IF I DONT LIKE THE SERVICE I CANNOT JUST UNSUBSCRIBE MOFO. 2 YEAR CONTRACT I OWE THEM 24 MONTHS OF MONEY.

I could whine to them enough and they may make Claire cut my contract, if that's what you mean, but you are not generally supposed to do that, even though you can get away w/ it.

But I'm happy w/ Sprint, I just wish they could think a little more when they bring new technologies to market.
    I really like the "Ignore List" feature. It's great for people like jas01.
    Originally posted by jas01
    if u do not like sprint and u think it sucks go else where loser....geeez im so amazed that people can still talk bad about sprint but they continue to subscribe.....gawd this is America.. ding bat
    Hey Jas....Parts of Sprint sucks royally, but yet somehow because this is America, we can't talk bad about them? This would be perhaps your stupidest post yet....and that's saying something for you. You have to be yanking everyone's chain, because otherwise you are the most abrasive, ignorant moron to post on this board.....and now I'm sure you'll post something about me not "deserving to have a cell phone", and how you can help everyone, but you won't help me....damn...what a drag, no freaking help from the whiz kid Jas.....

.....read this *****....Sprint customer service sucks...and I'm guessing you are either a first line rep, or the offspring of one!

ahhh, that felt good.
    I bought and downloaded the AIM client, and still got the DataMgr.c error. My buddy list had 3 people on it so it wasn't the "big buddy list" excuse. The fact of the matter is that AIM for palm is just a buggy, poorly written program and needs to be fixed. When that happens, I'll install it again. Until then, I'll live without it. I don't need the panic or hassle of hard resetting over and over.
    I really need to use AIM to keep in contact with family on the road. I have download the 1.0 UK version.

I've heard from "one" person that he hasn't had any problems with it like the 1.1 build ...

Anyone else using the 1.0UK version successfully?

If not, any alternatives programs that will interact with AIM?

David
    Have any of the folks who have experienced problems tried removing all other apps and running this app on a "clean" Treo? Just out of curiosity, can anyone comment why a "clean" Treo should have fewer problems than a more filled Treo (considering the Palm OS is not really a multitasking OS, why would one app interfere with another)?

Scott
    Originally posted by Scott R
    Have any of the folks who have experienced problems tried removing all other apps and running this app on a "clean" Treo? Just out of curiosity, can anyone comment why a "clean" Treo should have fewer problems than a more filled Treo (considering the Palm OS is not really a multitasking OS, why would one app interfere with another)?

Scott
    It does it on one of my buddy list all the time even after a format and only installing AIM, and it has done it on my I300 and my old Palm IIIxe
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12