1.    #1  
    Is it possible to have my Treo300 sync with my outlook contacts and appointments wirelessly rather than with the hotsync cable? I have business connect and it gives access to the contacts/appointments but cannot figure out how to sync them with my phonebook and appointment calendar in my Treo.

Thanks,

James
    you may have heard of a company called fusionOne - they started selling FREE wireless sync service a couple of years ago. I started using them when I got my first wireless modem - Omnisky - two or so years ago. They then went to a pay service ($9.95/mo), which I use, still. They THEN went away from consumers altogether, and are working on getting carriers to use the fusionOne infrastructure to power wireless syncs. Sprint PCS, for instance, uses them to enable Outlook sync to their Voice Command network-based voice dialing service.

Bottom line - I don't think there are any wireless sync services still out there. I can use them because they grandfathered my service, having been there from day one. I think they might and very likely will end up cutting me off, tho.....
    Here is what I did to sync wirelessly...

Assuming you have a static IP address or at least a DHCP that renews every month or so like mine.

On your computer:

Right click on your Hotsync icon near the time. Click the "Network" button which will put a checkmark next to it thus enabling sync via network. Right click the icon and go into Setup. Click the network tab. Click TCP/IP settings. Leave this window open.

On your Treo:

Go into your HotSync program and click the options button. Click on Modem Sync Preferences. Make sure that "Network" is selected and hit OK. Also in the options click Primary PC Setup. Copy what you have open on your computer into this screen here. Hit OK.

Now before you hit the Sync icon make sure "Modem" is highlighted and the service it is using to connect (shown below the icon) is your Sprint login/network service.

Click the sync icon. If it connects the first time and immediately then consider yourself lucky. It usually connects on the second time for me. Takes about 1min. You might want to go into the Condiut Setup and uncheck all the unnecessary ones. I just sync my contacts/notes/datebook etc...

If you can't connect the first few times try seeing if you can ping your computer's IP using the "View Log" utility in the Network Preferences Options menu. There's actually a variety of commands you can use from that prompt (not to mention what your Treo's public IP is on the 3g Sprint network).

Another thing, this will obviously not work if you have a super protective hardware/software firewall active or if you have a NAT'd IP address behind a router. Unless of course you NAT the ports from your public IP assigned to the router to your internal computer IP. Anyways, hope I'm not confusing the *$#@ out of some of you. If you have a DHCP addy that changes from time to time you will need to change the settings on your Treo at that time.

Sin,
    -Paul
    If you do have to port forward, I believe the ports are 14237 (UDP) and 14238 (TCP).
    Thanks... What program did you use to monitor what ports the app used. Just curious.

Sin,
    -Paul
    Originally posted by antichristpm
    Thanks... What program did you use to monitor what ports the app used. Just curious.
    Palm lists the ports used in their knowledgebase.

Check out the following:

http://205.141.210.149/SRVS/CGI-BIN/...case=obj(5570)
    Gregg Ginsberg, P-CLP
    http://www.ginsberg.org
    I checked the logs on my firewall, to see what was trying to get in. And I think I found it on the website too.
    Originally posted by antichristpm
    Here is what I did to sync wirelessly...

Go into your HotSync program and click the options button. Click on Modem Sync Preferences. Make sure that "Network" is selected and hit OK. Also in the options click Primary PC Setup. Copy what you have open on your computer into this screen here. Hit OK.

Now before you hit the Sync icon make sure "Modem" is highlighted and the service it is using to connect (shown below the icon) is your Sprint login/network service.

-Paul

I'm confused here, when I select modem ... it only lets me enter a phone number .... how do you get it to connect to the IP address of the desktop?

David
    I have a Linksys router and am trying to connect, but i'm being blocked by the routher - any ideas what i need to do on the router to let it have access.

Thanks
    don & mike
    Originally posted by don&mike-rule
    I have a Linksys router and am trying to connect, but i'm being blocked by the routher - any ideas what i need to do on the router to let it have access.
    You will have to map these ports to your workstation. Not knowing which Linksys router you are using, the best I can suggest is to check the manual.

Here's a link to the BEFSR11: ftp://ftp.linksys.com/pdf/befsr11_befsr41ug.pdf

The section you probably want to go for is, in Linksys-speak, "Port Range Forwarding." You'll need to enter the ports we listed above and the local IP address of your workstation (probably 192.168.1.something)

BTW--D&M kick ***! Been listening for eons. Some of my photos from the Charity Softball Tournament are still floating around the web somewhere.
    Gregg Ginsberg, P-CLP
    http://www.ginsberg.org
    I just did a wireless SYNC - and I must say I feel really good about it. Thanks soo much for this post.
    Holy crap. That's the coolest thing ever. Works like a charm. And yes, I concur that it is a good idea to minimalize the amount of conduits during wireless sync. Vindigo takes a while
    Absolutely awesome! Just did this tonight. Got it working through the NAT gateway and all.

Incidentally, both the info here and on the Palm site are a tad incorrect. You need to forward both TCP and UDP on ports 14237 AND 14238.

Also, if you are using NAT, here's an undocumented tip: On the Palm, when you set the Primary PC settings, make the system name "!!" -- two exclamation points -- this will prevent the Palm from automatically changing the IP from the public IP of your gateway to the private IP on the PC.

RIM who??
    Is there any security built into network hotsynching, like password challenge, IP blocking, encryption or anything like that?

Thanks in advance.
    --invention is the mother of necessity
    There appears to be zero. Everything is in the clear, and outside of possibly checking the machine name, there doesn't appear to be any authentication worth speaking about. I might have a co-worker try to network synch with my PC and see if he is successful.