Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    I don't mean to post a topic that is not on Treo's but, check out the specs on the Tungsten W @ PalmInfoCenter.

They put a Hi-res Screen on it (using OS 4.1? Bizarre considering they never did that before, as the OS wasn't design for it, Sony had their own work-around), SD Slot, and Palm Versa Mail that handles Word Doc's and HTML e-mails.

Looks like no Jog Dial though, but battery life is 10 hours Talk Time. Are you kidding?

It's not as smooth looking as a Treo IMO.

Not Ready until 2003 and only GSM/GPRS, though.

I hope Handspring will come out with an OS5/X-scale processor device (we need some speed here) with an improved Jog Dial, because I really like their product and form factor.

I mean its little things like a normal cable adapter. Palm uses a "Universal Connector" that makes a popping noise (like its breaking or something) whenever you take it off the cradle.

Just some thoughts...

Glenn
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    One more thing...

Treo should get a D-pad, Bluetooth and SD slot, too. Ten hour battery would be great, as well.

Check out Tungsten W Specs and Pics:

http://palm.com/products/handhelds/t...w/photos.html#

http://palm.com/products/handhelds/tungsten-w/

Glenn
    According to MY RESEARCH this device will not be a Treo Killer... unless your Treo is the 180. The Tungsten W is a decent first-step for Palm into the SmartPhone arena, but really does not bring anything new to the table (aside from the Palm brand name). Even the MSNBC reviewer felt that the Treo was a superior device.
    At first glance (please correct me if I'm wrong on any points, which I'm willing to concede), here are the big advantages of each:

Tungsten W advantages: higher resolution, more colors, expansion slot, dedicated shortcut key, 5-way navigation pad, longer battery talk time, cradle included.

Treo 300 advantages: no earbud required, protective flip cover, jog dial, phone-style-layout on thumboard for numeric keys, lighted keyboard, no ISP required, slightly shorter, narrower and lighter.
    Last edited by DougI; 10/28/2002 at 12:02 PM.
    Given those advantages/disadvantages, I would DEFINITELY still go with the Treo. I am a PocketPC afficionado, but the Treo features of a phone w/a PDA and built-in thumboard were too good for me to pass up. I probably won't switch from the Treo until a PocketPC device comes along that has a design similar to the Treo. I don't like the T-mobile PocketPC phone, which I suppose will be available for Sprint soon.

-Yvonne
    I am afraid that you may have overlooked some of Hand's most compelliing advantage over Palm.

1) It is presently compatible with existing networks. This will allow customers who buy it, to be able to make phone calls with it. I am highly doubtful that Palm will have much success with their "me too" product in making service provider deals. This is particularly true because the design seems similar to rimm's and that product has generated almost zero momentum to date.

2) I doubt blazer will be available to Palm users, and I further doubt palm has anything anywhere near as good.

3) Don't know what their gprs solution is, but have to assume that they are using the standard approach which does not introduce blazer into the mix and therefore slows down the web browsing. I have read this limits gprs only to provider's network, whereas Hand's gprs solution works outside of the local network. If Hand's gprs patch wasn't dramatically better than the standard approach, I doubt Hand would have spent months creating the custom patch.

4) Handspring's Treo 270 has been debugged over the last few months, Tungsten W hasn't. I doubt it will entirely mistake free.

5) How is Palm going to be able to get the necessary production economies of scale, without a broadbased service provider network. With smaller production runs, one wonders if Tungsten T will be price competitive?

If the project does not die stillborn, it would seem a very modest ramp will occur next spring because as Hand has demonstrated, service provider relationships take a very long time to occur.