Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Has anyone used Version 2.7b1 (JackFlash)? If so, how much ROM is free in there? Also, has anyone Used JackSprat to remove anything? Version 2.0b12 has support for treo 300. If so, how did it go?

thanks.

Glenn
    There is about 926k available in flash. (You can check this out with jackflash lite) You do not need jacksprat there is nothing (or very little) that can be deleted in the flash.
    I've used both and while Jacksprat didn't gain a LOT, I was able to delete Datebook+, Address Book, the Welcome utility and a few other small items. All in all, I gained an additional 75-100k.

L
    Lee Ladisky
    Maybe I misunderstood the posts... the point of JackFlash is that you can move some apps to ROM so you are able to free up at least 900+ Kb on the Treo 300. Memory is scare without an expansion card so I think it's worth it. Never had a problem with it either. Also, when you have to do a hard-reset... items that have been moved to ROM remain there so if you have to do a hard-reset on the road you can still use some of the apps you loaded.
  5. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Originally posted by msetzer
    Maybe I misunderstood the posts... the point of JackFlash is that you can move some apps to ROM so you are able to free up at least 900+ Kb on the Treo 300.
    True. The point of JackSprat, though, is to free up additional ROM by deleting programs you don't use (i.e. Datebook+ if you use additional features in Datebk5).
    Originally posted by msetzer
    Maybe I misunderstood the posts... the point of JackFlash is that you can move some apps to ROM so you are able to free up at least 900+ Kb on the Treo 300. Memory is scare without an expansion card so I think it's worth it. Never had a problem with it either. Also, when you have to do a hard-reset... items that have been moved to ROM remain there so if you have to do a hard-reset on the road you can still use some of the apps you loaded.
    Does it only let you move apps or can you also move data files? It would seem that moving data files would be the most useful, especially for crash recovery purposes.
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    Anyone know if Jack Sprat would work on the Treo 270? 3t has an EFIGS Rom, and there is a ton of alternate language files that are completely useless. I'd love to have more space in the flash (right now, there is none) and save some of my ram for extra stuff!
    Yes it works on the 270
    From HS support website...about JackFlash

"Treo communicators may become compatible with these programs but the use of these applications is not supported in any way by Handspring. Personal information stored in the ROM space will not be preserved if your Treo is returned for a repair or warranty service. Handspring regards the altering of the ROM space using third-party applications to be a breach of the software warranty. Technical and warranty support cannot be provided for Treo communicators with non-factory issued ROM contents. "

I presume that removing, for example, Address Book could seriously affect your ability to do Caller ID and many other phone functions. It reminds me of my old days with CB radio and getting half channels on the AM band. It worked for a while and then I tried to make some more changes and pfff my old Sharp CB radio went dark and still sits in the atti at home.
    Well read their web site http://www.brayder.com/news.html

There is a backup program so you can restore the contents of your flash.

It will never be supported by handspring. No third party app is. This third party app is supported by that developer.