Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have searched through the forum for an answer to this but I am a little confused as to what I read so I will ask it plainly here:

Can I connect my Treo 300 to the usb cable it came with, plug it into my laptop, and somehow tell my Laptop to use the phone as a 56kbps modem?

I don't need to skip the cable and go infrared (though that would be nice but I understand the software to do that has been pulled from distribution).

Thanks in advance.
    -GadgetPro
    On windows no. On mac maybe. There was software by notifymail but that has been pulled because it was difficult to support. I have tried (many many hours) to get the serial cable to work with Windows 2000. I have not been successful. (It connects but only works for about a minute) If anyone has been successful PLEASE LET ME KNOW.
    I have used the piece of software mentioned and, as far as I can tell, it will only let you work at 9600 to 14.4.. all it lets you do is dialup to a regular ISP through the wireless modem in the phone - i.e. not Vision. I am working on a method to make Vision work, however. May take a while though
    Originally posted by DigiSage
    I have used the piece of software mentioned and, as far as I can tell, it will only let you work at 9600 to 14.4.. all it lets you do is dialup to a regular ISP through the wireless modem in the phone - i.e. not Vision. I am working on a method to make Vision work, however. May take a while though
    Just dial #777 (no username/password) and it will connect to Vision. While it may be slow, I believe it is a combination of the slow speed of the Treo (it has to process all the data) and I think Sprint uses some sort of proxy that slows things down.
    Man, I have seen so many threads on this board and TreoMB since the software was discontinued.

Funny, how that happens.
    I tried using my Treo 300 with my laptop via a serial cable under windows XP and it works! The only problem is that the Wireless Modem program that Steve supplied for some reason does not do more than 56K. Otherwise, it works find under 56K.
    Originally posted by netwizard
    I tried using my Treo 300 with my laptop via a serial cable under windows XP and it works! The only problem is that the Wireless Modem program that Steve supplied for some reason does not do more than 56K. Otherwise, it works find under 56K.
    The 56K limitation isn't a limitation of WirelessModem, it is a limiation of either the Treo or Windows XP.

BTW, who is Steve?
    I can connect at 230000 settings just fine. Of course, I don't really get speeds that high, but neither my machines nor WModem complain about it.
    Sorry, I meant Scott. It seems to be a problem with my computer or the Treo's serial interface, not WirelessModem.
    Okay so for those of us running Win 98 the Wireless Modem doesn't work? But it will work under 2000/XP but only with the serial cable?

Regards,

Thomas
    Originally posted by tainlay
    Okay so for those of us running Win 98 the Wireless Modem doesn't work? But it will work under 2000/XP but only with the serial cable?

Regards,

Thomas
    1) You should be able to use it just fine under 2000/XP/98 over serial.

2) It has been confirmed to work over IR for 2000/XP.

3) It might work on 98 over IR if the right drivers are installed (no idea what these may be).

4) It will NOT work over USB for any flavor of Windows.
    Great! Now I just have to buy a serial cable (anybody want to sell one?) and upgrade my wifes laptop and she will have wireless modem capability and will finally stop cmplaining Seems like there is always something else to buy for these things....

Thomas
    Can someone post the instructions to make this work? What do I have to install and run on each end?

Thanks!
    I currenly have it working via infrared on my WinXP laptop, and it works wonderfully. The connection speeds on the Treo are set to 230,400 for both options.

Download the IR virtual com port driver and set it up according to the instructions.

In XP, I am using the Standard 14.4 modem driver. Using the Standard 56k driver did not work for me.

I turned off the "prompt for name and password" option. I disabled hardware flow control, modem error control, modem compression, and set the maximum speed to 57600. The phone number is set to #777. Disable the Image Transfer option in the Wireless link settings located in the Control Panel.

When connecting, windows shows the connection speed to be 9600, but I don't think this number is accurate. I have downloaded files at around 8kps, which is greater than a 9600 connection. The other day I was in the parking lot at Circuit City, had a pretty decent signal, and surfing was much faster than a 56k modem.

Some of these settings may depend on the hardware you've got. I'm using an IBM Thinkpad A20p. It's possible that other manufacturers IR drivers may conflict somehow. Hope this helps, and as always, YMMV.
    I have an IBM thinktank and would like to use my treo as wireless moden to get to my mindspring.com account.

What is the easiest way for this to happen. I have been confused and still don't get how to do it.

Thanks.

vitb9doc
    I am having a hard time configuring my treo to work with my laptop. I have a sony laptop running windows XP and no IR port, so I am using the serial port.

I bought a serial cable to connect the treo but i am having problems.

I can not put the modem under com3 only com1 does this make a difference?

If I try to enable the modem under Scott's program it tells me that it is unable to connect to the serial port.

I noticed that all of the instuctions for XP say to install the IR patches. Do I need this as well for the serial port? i tend not to think so but I have been wrong a lot lately.

Any specific instuctions for XP with a serial port?

I really would love to get this up and running. Any ideas?
    So I followed Jaydee's instructions and have ecerything set up. However what mode should the treo be in when dialing the modem connection? Do I need to dial something on the treo? How do I know the two are talking? Does the laptop dial the treo? I would love to see this work.....

Thanks for all your help....
    -Jeff
    you create a dial up connection and select the treo as the modem. meaning whatever port your treo is configured to communicate on is the port the connection will use. for the phone number, use #777. you don't have to enter a name or password.

on the treo, start wmodem and click the box to enable it. you may also want to turn on the modem lights so you can see if they're actually communicating.

start the dial up networking connection and click connect and if everything is set up properly, it should only take a few seconds and you'll be connected
    I have followed the instructions very carefully with my Dell Laptop and the Treo.

I have tried both IR and serial cables.

The Treo/Modem is seen by the laptop. The process proceeds fine until It attempts to register on the network.

At that time the Treo hangs needing a soft reset.

Any suggestions?
    Originally posted by Smartphone Fan
    I have followed the instructions very carefully with my Dell Laptop and the Treo.

I have tried both IR and serial cables.

The Treo/Modem is seen by the laptop. The process proceeds fine until It attempts to register on the network.

At that time the Treo hangs needing a soft reset.

Any suggestions?
    Turn off debugging in WirelessModem. This is usually the reason the Treo will hang.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast