Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 41
  1.    #1  
    I have taken apart my Treo 300 and taken photos of the innards. Two things worthy of note: if you are going to take apart your Treo 300, put it in non-wireless mode first, because removing the casing also disconnects the antenna. Also, it seems as if the hole in the back of the treo (covered by the angled rubber dot) is there to allow easy access to a tuning coil on the Qualcomm Helium card inside.

    Photonic Chaos - Treo 300 Guts
  2.    #2  
    My mistake - it looks like the thing accessible behind the rubber dot is an external antenna connector.
  3. #3  
    These are the best internal photos of any Treo I've ever seen (though seeing a real life 180 insdies works just as well)

    Thank you!
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
  4. #4  
    You've got some big ones my friend. My curiosity hasnt approached $500 yet. Did it work when you put it back together?

    Very interesting photos. Thanks. Do you remember your impression of the vibrator? What I mean is, did it seem securely mounted? Mine makes more noise than motion. Sounds like its a chainsaw being started in my pocket. If its just floating loose in a mount I was thinking of adding a bit of epoxy or similar.

    Also, any insight as to how the flip is attached and if a handy man mod could be done to fix the cronic "loose flip" so many people have? Im thinking its just a spring that doesnt have enough travel.

    Do you think you could post a shot that shows all the screw locations and problem areas while opening it up. Seems like theres always a hidden screw somewhere. Id like to be able to open it and replace the battery some day.

    Thanks
  5. #5  
    Any idea what kind of connection would be needed to attach an external antenna?

    very cool pics
    don & mike
  6.    #6  
    You can get it for $250 at Amazon now.

    The vibrator looked pretty securely mounted when I took it apart, but maybe yours is loose. And yes, it did work when I put it back together Surprinsingly enough, there were no hidden screws... just 4 to take the casing off (you have to sort of work it off when the screws are out as it snaps together), and two holding the motherboard in place. The two motherboard screws have little clear rubber washers on them, so don't loose those. I didn't look at the hinge, unfortunately.

    Originally posted by 911_Dude
    You've got some big ones my friend. My curiosity hasnt approached $500 yet. Did it work when you put it back together?

    Very interesting photos. Thanks. Do you remember your impression of the vibrator? What I mean is, did it seem securely mounted? Mine makes more noise than motion. Sounds like its a chainsaw being started in my pocket. If its just floating loose in a mount I was thinking of adding a bit of epoxy or similar.

    Also, any insight as to how the flip is attached and if a handy man mod could be done to fix the cronic "loose flip" so many people have? Im thinking its just a spring that doesnt have enough travel.

    Do you think you could post a shot that shows all the screw locations and problem areas while opening it up. Seems like theres always a hidden screw somewhere. Id like to be able to open it and replace the battery some day.

    Thanks
  7.    #7  
    Not sure exactly, but it is a standard as far as I know. Look at the picture that has the big Helium card in it - look at the lower-left screw of the helium card - right below that is a silver/blackish dot... thats the connector.

    Originally posted by don&mike-rule
    Any idea what kind of connection would be needed to attach an external antenna?

    very cool pics
  8. #8  
    The foam is behind the keyboard, no? Might it cusion the moving parts?
  9. #9  
    Okay, I couldnt resist cracking mine apart. It does come apart very easily. I was able to significantly reduce the noise of the vibrate motor by making it fit tighter in its bracket. I just shimmed it up with some foil. I tried to determine if the flip lid could be taken apart to fix a slight looseness. I wasnt able to work on it. I think it may be put together without a provision for taking it back apart. I could see how the spring for the flip works, but I dont see how to get to it.
    Mine didnt have any foam inside like yours. Everything else the same. Also, I think the internal antenna connection is for factory calibration without the need for actual RF transmit/receive. I can see no use for an external antenna.
    Things to note if you feel the need to open your Treo:
    -Hotsink!!!!!
    -turn off wireless
    -4 screws and some easy snaps around the perimeter of the case.
    -when reassembling, be sure to lineup the pin that goes into switch for "normal/silent" mode.
  10. #10  
    To those who have opened the case-- my 300's case squeaks because the the edging where the two halves meet is not tight. The 4 screws are already tight. Can you think of anyting I might do to seal the edges or...?

    Rob
  11. #11  
    A couple of thoughts:

    1) How big is the battery (power-wise, not physical size)? Anyone hear anything about anyone offering an internal battery upgrade? I've heard rumors of the backpack upgrade but I wouldn't want the device any bigger.

    2) How hard might it be for someone to offer a RAM upgrade? For that matter, is anyone offering that currently?

    Scott
  12. #12  
    I assumed that was what was behind it, and your pictures confirmed it, thanks.

    I can't find an external antenna sold (to use it and not clip onto the "stub") which is a shame; In answer to the person who was curious "why", I'd mount a decent aerial on my car to use with it, as I did with my old phone. It means certain service holes aren't an issue.
  13. #13  
    I won't be opening it up because of the warranty issue. But I am willing to do so if there is an upgrade for the internal battery.

    Seems like the original version is 850mah. If there is a version of 1000mah or higher, theoritically, we can use it for more than 2 days.

    Someone should dig out this gold mine as it has plagued many ( I believe) to use this as a primary phone and not sitting on its charging bay.

    Regards
  14. #14  
    Ok this may be dumb but. The antena. Can it be changed out do you think. I would love to put one that flashes. Just one more thing for my treo to get more attention.
  15. #15  
    The guts of my Treo 270 ..

    http://www.geocities.com/ryker_jr/
  16. #16  
    Originally posted by Scott R
    2) How hard might it be for someone to offer a RAM upgrade? For that matter, is anyone offering that currently?
    Scott [/B]
    Scott,

    I heard that the Dragonball processor is limited to 16 MB. That's probably why the Treo doesn't have more. I read in the forums somewhere that it's a hardware limitation shown in the specs for the processor.

    BTW: thanks for the pics... very intriguing.
    Last edited by rhong; 03/11/2003 at 10:43 AM.
  17. #17  
    Since some of you have taken the treo apart, can anyone comment on how easy / hard it would be to spraypaint the treo?

    Mine has several spots where the grey/silver has worn off. Black Gloss would look cool.

    I could live without the sprint and Treo logo's.

    Any information would be helpful.

    Thanks
  18. #18  
    I agree, I'm not a big fan of the silver phone/treo shells that Sprint uses. In my experience the paint wears off quite easily, then it just looks bad.

    Does anyone make any aftermarket replacement shells/faceplates for the Treo300? I'm not too keen on painting my 300 shell for fear it'll look like crap when finished.
  19. #19  
    Originally posted by rhong

    Scott,

    I heard that the Dragonball processor is limited to 16 MB. That's probably why the Treo doesn't have more. I read in the forums somewhere that it's a hardware limitation shown in the specs for the processor.

    BTW: thanks for the pics... very intriguing.
    Actually that is not correct. The Dragonball VZ processor can support more memory. In fact, just the other day http://www.palmpilotupgrade.com released an upgrade for some Sony Clie's to 32 MB, and they are using the same processor.
  20. #20  
    Cool Pics, sage! I've never seen it before until now. It looks like HS can make the battery accessible with a battery cover, but didn't, who knows why?!

    Also, do you know where the memory chips are located? Perhaps some soldering can be done to upgrade the ram chips with, say, 256mb of ram, matching those bulky pocket pcs.....
    joe
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions