Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    Hey Ryker,

Thanks for the great pictures of your 270. I believe that my little washer (I assume threaded washer) was not glued onto the case and My Antenna just spins. I can pull on it slightly & get it to unscrew a bit but I'm worried about the washer falling & shorting something out. Also, I wouldn't be able to screw it back in. Was the case as difficult to break apart as others have said? What's the tiny pin for next to the screws in your pictures? Should I be afraid (very afraid) about taking it apart? (LOL!) It is new and still under warranty...but enquiring minds want to know!
    Any advice is really appreciated!!!

Thanks, Burrzoo
    Burrzo .. it's not that difficult .. You have to know where to press to release the plastic tab especially those on the right and left side just a bit tough .. top and bottom are piece of cake .. you can look carefully at my pictures taken from side view to know the exact location of plastic tab .. then pressed lower part of treo to unrelease them .. tiny pin was metal hanger for the lanyard on top left of your treo
    Originally posted by Burrzoo
    Hey Ryker,

Thanks for the great pictures of your 270. I believe that my little washer (I assume threaded washer) was not glued onto the case and My Antenna just spins. I can pull on it slightly & get it to unscrew a bit but I'm worried about the washer falling & shorting something out. Also, I wouldn't be able to screw it back in. Was the case as difficult to break apart as others have said? What's the tiny pin for next to the screws in your pictures? Should I be afraid (very afraid) about taking it apart? (LOL!) It is new and still under warranty...but enquiring minds want to know!
    Any advice is really appreciated!!!

Thanks, Burrzoo
    Thanks, Burrzoo. I gave credit to the wrong poster. Although sage deserves a lot of credit for his posts, but I think the biggest credit goes to Ryker, who posted the pics of his treo 270.

Ryker, I would be interested in know whether it is possible to do a soldering upgrade to the treo's memory.
    joe
    Okay....I guess there are two posters who shared the guts of their treos. I apologized for taking credit away from sage. Thank you Sage and Ryker, for these pics. They really help me understand my treo.

Aside from my question above, I would like to know whether it is possible to unscrew the antenna from the unit. I was considering purchasing one of these miniantennas to replace my treo 300 antenna.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3015501533
    joe
    Joe,

My impression was it would be difficult to change the ram chip .. as kind of surface mounted type .. maybe my soldering skill has been outdated .. last time holding a solder was years ago ..
    There is way more to it than soldering on a new chip. PalmPilotUpgrade just started upgrading some of the Sony 16 MB devices (the ones that use the same CPU as the Treo), to 32 MB, and so far they say they won't be doing Treo upgrades. They have been doing this for years, and it appears that they don't even want to do it.
    Originally posted by LaughingMan

Aside from my question above, I would like to know whether it is possible to unscrew the antenna from the unit. I was considering purchasing one of these miniantennas to replace my treo 300 antenna.
    The best thing to do is to try and unscrew it. Some have found that their antenna comes out, others are less successful.
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    Hey LaughingMan,

When I posed the questions to Ryker, I had an ulterior motive. I had already purchased the mini antenna from Germany (through Ebay). My original/stock antenna was spinning. Couldn't tighten or loosen it either way. With BIG HELP from Ryker's pictures, I could open the Top and sides of the case but never got the bottom undone. Maybe I created to much pressure somewhere. I was able to Finally remove the old antenna and install the new mini antenna. The mini is machined aluminum and fit perfectly. It took appx. 10 days to arrive from Germany to California. It seems to work no differently than the stock antenna but it's so much smaller/shorter, you don't catch it on anything. I had very good customer service when I bought the mini. I ordered two others for friends and shipping only increased a buck. They gave me them at the minimum price too. Be adventurous and go ahead...order one!

Good Luck!

Burrzoo
    Originally posted by Appleman
    There is way more to it than soldering on a new chip. PalmPilotUpgrade just started upgrading some of the Sony 16 MB devices (the ones that use the same CPU as the Treo), to 32 MB, and so far they say they won't be doing Treo upgrades. They have been doing this for years, and it appears that they don't even want to do it.
    From the link you posted, it looks more like one of those modchip upgrades that I heard ppl would do to their ps2 and xbox consoles. Only if they would take take the treos. Did they tell you why not?.
    joe
    Hey LaughingMan,

When I posed the questions to Ryker, I had an ulterior motive. I had already purchased the mini antenna from Germany (through Ebay). My original/stock antenna was spinning. Couldn't tighten or loosen it either way. With BIG HELP from Ryker's pictures, I could open the Top and sides of the case but never got the bottom undone. Maybe I created to much pressure somewhere. I was able to Finally remove the old antenna and install the new mini antenna. The mini is machined aluminum and fit perfectly. It took appx. 10 days to arrive from Germany to California. It seems to work no differently than the stock antenna but it's so much smaller/shorter, you don't catch it on anything. I had very good customer service when I bought the mini. I ordered two others for friends and shipping only increased a buck. They gave me them at the minimum price too. Be adventurous and go ahead...order one!

Good Luck!

Burrzoo
    It seems like your antenna is already loose to begin with and if I were to try this, then I would need a tool to force it out.

As for the mini antenna, when you say 'perfectly', do you mean that it actually screws in and locked tight?
    joe

From the link you posted, it looks more like one of those modchip upgrades that I heard ppl would do to their ps2 and xbox consoles. Only if they would take take the treos. Did they tell you why not?.
    The reason why it appears like a mod chip is because with the current configuration of the processor and motherboard, the CPU can only address 16 MB of RAM. A resistor(s) change is usually required to change a value on the CPU to tell it to address the 32 MB.

I have not emailed them to ask, I read this on their website, and on an Infosync article.
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    LaughingMan,

My original antenna WAS loose from the start. If your is, Do Not try to Unscrew it ALL the way. You will lose that washer inside. You'll need to open your case. Once open, I used a small Jewelers screwdriver (they're very tiny). My antenna was unscrewed about 1/8 inch. I pushed the antenna all the way down so that the washer was below the inside of the Treo case. I put tension on the washer by holding it down with the tiny screwdriver while my husband unscrewed the old antenna the rest of the way. There was enough pressure on the washer to do this. When we came to almost the last thread on the antenna, I then held the washer AGAINST the inside of the Treo case, my husband took out the old one & screwed in the new mini antenna. It tightened up with EASE! If it hadn't, I would have put a small spot of strong glue on the washer so I'd never have this problem again. I wanted to do this but it was such a relief to get the new antenna in and I hadn't cracked my Treo case yet. Closed up the whole thing and I was on my way!

Burrzoo
    LaughingMan,

My original antenna WAS loose from the start. If your is, Do Not try to Unscrew it ALL the way. You will lose that washer inside. You'll need to open your case. Once open, I used a small Jewelers screwdriver (they're very tiny). My antenna was unscrewed about 1/8 inch. I pushed the antenna all the way down so that the washer was below the inside of the Treo case. I put tension on the washer by holding it down with the tiny screwdriver while my husband unscrewed the old antenna the rest of the way. There was enough pressure on the washer to do this. When we came to almost the last thread on the antenna, I then held the washer AGAINST the inside of the Treo case, my husband took out the old one & screwed in the new mini antenna. It tightened up with EASE! If it hadn't, I would have put a small spot of strong glue on the washer so I'd never have this problem again. I wanted to do this but it was such a relief to get the new antenna in and I hadn't cracked my Treo case yet. Closed up the whole thing and I was on my way!

Burrzoo
    Thanks for the inspiration. I have not order the mini antenna yet, but I will try to open my treo so I can understand the washer mechanism that you are referring. Wish me luck.
    joe
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts

Thanks for the inspiration. I have not order the mini antenna yet, but I will try to open my treo so I can understand the washer mechanism that you are referring. Wish me luck.
    Soooo,
    Your antenna IS spinning! What a drag. I do wish you luck! If you can get the entire back cover off, glue that lousy washer in. This way, you can change antennae without future hassle. Maybe we'll have a bigger selction in the future. Be sure to look at Ryker's pictures and keep pressing inward on the case, near each locking tab. No screwdrivers used for this process! I didn't want to damage the case at all.

Once again...GOOD LUCK!

Burrzoo
    Just to warn you. Several of us have purchased those for Treo 300's only to find that the shaft is too short. Perhaps up to 1/8" shorter than the original, which makes it not touch the terminal.

As for removing my Treo 300 antenna. Ugh! It was loc-tite'd in, and I had to dremel it off from the outside, and once I had the threaded insert and partial antenna separate from the Treo, I had to use two pliers to break the adhesive. Why'd they do that. Nightmare!

It was at this point that I found that the mini-antenna was too short. When I added a polished solder extension to the mini-antenna I found that the reception was perhaps 20% less than the original, which left me without signal much of the time. The extra 1/4" of antenna extension makes a difference, as I experimented with different lengths. I'm in a fringe area -- or as Sprint would label it, "excellent coverage."

So then I went on a buying spree and ordered 8 different antenna (they were $1 ea or something) trying to find one which fit the Treo. None! They use an M4 w/ .5mm thread which is totally non-standard. Usually an M4 comes with .7mm so you are not going to find a threaded piece of brass at the hardware store to fit it.

What I did do, is buzz down the threads of some of the M4 sized antenna I bought, until there was only 1 or 1-1/2 threads left. That matched close enough to hand tighten without messing up the original threads. You know, I probably should just get another insert just so I can use a standard antenna.

Too bad I hosed the original just to get it off. I'm currently using a make-shift antenna, which isn't so bad but no better reception than the original. If anyone wants to sell their original, I'd be willing to paypal.
    In honor of those of us with poor reception, I present to you my latest mock-up of the next-gen Treo:

http://www.hipnetic.com/geek/treo_new5.gif

Scott
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    Originally posted by Scott R
    In honor of those of us with poor reception, I present to you my latest mock-up of the next-gen Treo:

http://www.hipnetic.com/geek/treo_new5.gif

Scott
    Scott,

You are TOO FUNNY!.
    Maybe "Us" Cingular customers should get an old CB antenna (the kind where you put the tennis ball on the end to protect your vehicle bumber or paint)! I would probably be able to then call my husband in the next room! LOL.

Burrzoo

Soooo,
    Your antenna IS spinning! What a drag. I do wish you luck! If you can get the entire back cover off, glue that lousy washer in. This way, you can change antennae without future hassle. Maybe we'll have a bigger selction in the future. Be sure to look at Ryker's pictures and keep pressing inward on the case, near each locking tab. No screwdrivers used for this process! I didn't want to damage the case at all.

Once again...GOOD LUCK!

Burrzoo
    Sorry, I was pretty busy lately. So I haven't got a chance to post or look at it. I will do so as soon as I get the chance and I will keep that in mind when I do. Thanks.
    joe
    Originally posted by potatoho

Just to warn you. Several of us have purchased those for Treo 300's only to find that the shaft is too short. Perhaps up to 1/8" shorter than the original, which makes it not touch the terminal.

As for removing my Treo 300 antenna. Ugh! It was loc-tite'd in, and I had to dremel it off from the outside, and once I had the threaded insert and partial antenna separate from the Treo, I had to use two pliers to break the adhesive. Why'd they do that. Nightmare!

It was at this point that I found that the mini-antenna was too short. When I added a polished solder extension to the mini-antenna I found that the reception was perhaps 20% less than the original, which left me without signal much of the time. The extra 1/4" of antenna extension makes a difference, as I experimented with different lengths. I'm in a fringe area -- or as Sprint would label it, "excellent coverage."

So then I went on a buying spree and ordered 8 different antenna (they were $1 ea or something) trying to find one which fit the Treo. None! They use an M4 w/ .5mm thread which is totally non-standard. Usually an M4 comes with .7mm so you are not going to find a threaded piece of brass at the hardware store to fit it.

What I did do, is buzz down the threads of some of the M4 sized antenna I bought, until there was only 1 or 1-1/2 threads left. That matched close enough to hand tighten without messing up the original threads. You know, I probably should just get another insert just so I can use a standard antenna.

Too bad I hosed the original just to get it off. I'm currently using a make-shift antenna, which isn't so bad but no better reception than the original. If anyone wants to sell their original, I'd be willing to paypal.
    Thanks for the warning. I will keep that in mind when I open the cover and examine the internals.
    joe
    Originally posted by Appleman

The reason why it appears like a mod chip is because with the current configuration of the processor and motherboard, the CPU can only address 16 MB of RAM. A resistor(s) change is usually required to change a value on the CPU to tell it to address the 32 MB.

I have not emailed them to ask, I read this on their website, and on an Infosync article.
    I appreciate you sharing your expertise in this matter. My soldering skills is limited to soldering two pieces of copper pipe together.
    joe
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast