1.    #1  
    With Sprint PCS Vision I have an always on connection to the web. Does that mean that my treo has an IP address? If so, how would I found out what it is?

I'd like to create a J2ME app that can take requests. I suppose I could probably write an app to post to a web site and see what IP was posting from but if anyone knows how to get the IP it would save me some time.

Thanks!
    If anybody is curious, hit

http://member.isavvix.com/imoore/index.jsp

it will tell you your IP address
    Last edited by flashman; 10/25/2002 at 03:56 PM.
    guess I should tell anyone who reads this, it's on development server and will be up and down and maybe not even there sometimes
    you can also go to: http://www.whatismyip.com
    From my understanding, most carriers will have you go through a proxy, and your IP will be NATed. ie: your Treo has an IP in the private space, but that address will be translated to a public IP as it passes through the carriers gateway.

So, basically, you won't be able to run a webserver on your Treo, like us hardcore geeks would love too!!
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Just go to the Prefs application, choose "Network", then "View Log" (shortcut V) from the menu. You will see your IP address, and other useful information.

For fun, when in the log viewer, type "help" then return. I use the "ping" command all the time...
    Originally posted by flight
    Just go to the Prefs application, choose "Network", then "View Log" (shortcut V) from the menu. You will see your IP address, and other useful information.

For fun, when in the log viewer, type "help" then return. I use the "ping" command all the time...
    But as Appleman indicated, I don't think the IP address that is displayed in the log is going to be the same "public" IP address that is displayed pursuant to a website like "www.whatismyip.com".
    Well, now I have proven myself wrong. Well sort of....

On my Rogers carrier, it goes through a proxy of some sort. On my Fido carrier, I actually get a real IP!! If the Treo is off and I ping it, I get no replies, once I turn it on, I get replies. I can then turn it off and no replies again.

All the while the data connection is active.

I am installing the web server when I get home tonight!!
    Originally posted by Appleman
    Well, now I have proven myself wrong. Well sort of....

On my Rogers carrier, it goes through a proxy of some sort. On my Fido carrier, I actually get a real IP!! If the Treo is off and I ping it, I get no replies, once I turn it on, I get replies. I can then turn it off and no replies again.

All the while the data connection is active.

I am installing the web server when I get home tonight!!
    When using the Fido carrier, try comparing the IP address in the Treo's log with the IP address that is visible to the public (whatismyip.com etc.). Are they actually the same? If they are, does Findo dynamically allocate the IP address, ie does the IP number change everytime you connect/disconnect from the network, or does it remain the same?

It might be harder to run a server off the phone if the IP number keeps changing. Facinating idea though. Would love to see if you could get that to work.
    The IP changes everytime I connect to the data network, so it's kind of a pain.

I installed and set up Pokeserver, available here.

It serves up the pages right from Memo Pad. I did get it to work, of course it is awfully slow, and 3 out of the 6 times it crashed my Treo with memory failures.

But it did work, and is pretty kewl to think you are connecting to a wireless palm web server!! It also disables the auto-off feature so you could run it indefinately.

Neat experiment, but obviously not practical.