Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Hi,

I just picked up the Treo 300 @ $375 from CC (matched BestBuy Sale and their warranty is $20 less), thanks to these forums.

I have a palm m515, but am new to this device, and aside from knowing the Palm OS, I know nothing about the wireless aspect. Hence, I may be asking plenty of questions. If anyone can help me along the way, I would greatly appreciate it.

Here goes:

1) I read this in the Manual that came in the box: It stated that if you previously owned a palm, you should install their new desktop as it will need USB support (bear in mind I would like to sync both from the same desktop, using different HotSync ID's). I already have USB support with my m515, plus I have the most current Palm Desktop Version 4.1. Do I need to install their Desktop off the CD to have support for this device? Furthermore, does anyone know what version the provided desktop is? Or, can I just create a new HotSync ID on my current Setup and go from there? (I have yet to HotSync yet)

2) I picked up the Action Pack Pouch to hold me over, and also noticed that Belkin has a leather pouch as well. I am looking for a nice, clean leather. But, the Belkin has that (in my opinion, don't mean to offend) annoying stub for the belt clip on it. Could anyone please list some of the other Treo cases/pouches that are available. I saw the usual: Casetechworks, Krussell, Vaja, etc. Any sleepers that I missed? I did a decent search around here and the web, but still cannot find one I like.

3) Are there any really good screen protectors for Treo in the U.S.? I could order from Brando (my favorite for the m515) or ecFilm, but rather order within the country. Is the outside cover worth protecting, as well? I read here that it scratches easily.

4) Does anyone use Agendus (formerly ActionNames) with their treo? I am not familiar with all the built-in Phone Book features, but can I use Agendus to completely replace Phone Book? It is what I am more comfortable with. Also, how do I get that default screen setting when you open up lid to change?

5) Do I have this right: in order to get back to launcher from within an app, I have to press 2 buttons (Option, then Home)? Also, any keyboard shortcuts for drop-down menu's?

Finally:

6) Snappermail attachments for Word files can only be accessed on handheld via QuickWord? I firmly believe in Wordsmith, but will throw QuickWord in, if need be. Also, do you need latest version of QuickWord? I did not upgrade my QuickOffice Suite in favor of WS and TinySheet, but just received an e-mail from Cesinc for a discount on upgrading QuickOffice. I still gotta get Snapper as well.

Anyone who can help, many thanks in advance. It is truly appreciated. Also, sorry for making it so long-winded.

Glenn
    I can answer at least some of your questions:

1. You may need to install the software that came on the Treo CD to setup you unit for wireless access. I am not sure about the Treo 300, but there is a wireless setup wuite for the Treo 180/270 that is installed with the software. You can always re-install Palm Desktop 4.1 afterwards.

2. All the cases that we know of are listed on this site. It appears that you have covered them all.

3. I bought my Screen portectors from Strongengineering.com. They are pretty good. Purplemoo.com sell screen protectors for the Treo too.

4.I use Agendus. It is not a Phonebook replacement but a Datebook replacement. It has a handy built in dialer for those that want to dial contacts directly from the app.

5. Blue Option + Home is the only option you got to go to the launcher out of the box. You can use third party apps to fix that. Some of them includes TreoButton, PowerJog, Switcheroo, Colauncher, EasyLaunch. You can find them all by doing a search at PalmGear.com. Most of them are hacks and required X-Master -- also found at PalmGear.com.

6. Sorry don't use Quickword or snappermail.
    My life is in my Treo... Where is yours?
    this is no special setup for the internet for the treo300, unlike with the 270. This means that the newest palm desktop software should work fine. Just trash the OS updates beyond 3.5.2 in the Palm folder. Also, I trashed my saved preferences file before I synced my I300 stuff onto my treo.
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Thanks Yardie and Broose for the info.

Yardie: So i thinking i am getting this: Phone book is like address book, but with phone suppport. It will feed (along with Agendus) off my Address DB, just as in Palm?

Broose: If I am still syncing Palm m515 (2 different HotSync ID's), then I cannot delete the updates in palm folder past 3.5. Is it still ok?

I have had this for 2 days and still haven't hot sync'd, but today will be the day.
    Thank You very much!
    Glenn
    Just to add a few more things...

1. Since your PC is already set up to HotSync using USB, you should be fine. If you want to create a separate ID for the Treo, you do so when you first HotSync. Otherwise, you can choose your current ID and all your old data will load right in.

2. I read somewhere around here that the leather case from Brookstone works really well, and looks pretty good. It's only supposed to be about $12 or $13.

5. I set one of my buttons to go right to the launcher. Go to "Prefs", and choose "Buttons" from the pull-down menu. Choose a button, and set it to "Applications." Buttons-T (available free on the Handspring site) allows you to also set buttons using <Option-button>, as well as what you want to see when you first open the lid and launching a specific application with the rocker button (with the lid closed). As for keyboard shortcuts for the drop-down menus...just press the menu button in the lower right corner (the ":menu:" button).

HTH...
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Does anyone have any details on the lower BB price? I just bought my Treo a week ago from CC and paid all the money, $499, I would love to price match it.
    <b> "Is that a Treo in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?!?" </b>
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Thanks for the info ajchenmph! That's what I needed to know for certain, before I hotsync'd. I appreciate it. I finally figured out the drop down menu, and thanks for the tips on remapping buttons and opening lid.

Spinedoc, I read here that you can go to Circuit City and show them the deal and they wil credit you. I heard that they will call local Best Buy stores to verify price. With mine, I had heard of the deal, went to BB and bought it. I did not like the idea of getting it from BB, though. I read over @ howardsforum that BB may not get the option to renew their Sprint Contract (speculative, but made me uncomfortable), and if that happened, well, what would happen with your extended warranty? So, before I opened the box, I called up CC and they told me they would price match. I showed them my returned receipt and it was cool. I read another fella here had to call BB with the Circuit City guy, and find a store that had them in stock, in order to get the discount.

In Short, call your local BB's, see if they have in stock @ $375, then run to CC and call them back up again to verify. Also try to bring in this weeks circular that states 25-50% of all Sprint Handsets. Its only exlusion is A500 and N400, and you can even print flyer off BB website. hopefully you'll get a lax CC employee.

Glenn
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Darn, my local BB says they have the Treo, but its not on the shelves yet. I got one of those clueless reps who doesnt know when. I am still on my 14 day trial though, but I would hate to have to reconfigure all my settings and programs.
    <b> "Is that a Treo in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?!?" </b>
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Just see if your CC rep will honor the BB sale and do a price adjustment. At least bring in the BB flyer to show them that the its 25% off. Possibly, (I dont'sd know BB's policy on this) try to get a BB raincheck on the price, then have CC adjust.
    Yes the PhoneBook app and Agendus feed of the AddressDB file.

Originally posted by glenng
    Thanks Yardie and Broose for the info.

Yardie: So i thinking i am getting this: Phone book is like address book, but with phone suppport. It will feed (along with Agendus) off my Address DB, just as in Palm?

Broose: If I am still syncing Palm m515 (2 different HotSync ID's), then I cannot delete the updates in palm folder past 3.5. Is it still ok?

I have had this for 2 days and still haven't hot sync'd, but today will be the day.
    Thank You very much!
    Glenn
    My life is in my Treo... Where is yours?