1.    #1  
    I have had the Treo for about 2 weeks now and have used it side by side with the Vtech Lil Smart Tiny Touch Phone Plus (http://www.epinions.com/content_11109371524) and thought I would post a comparison to help make everyone more educated consumers….

First of all I love BOTH my Treo and my Vtech. I could not do without either of them. The purpose of this comparison is to give you an overall.. .well… comparison… of the features and functions of the Treo and the Vtech.

Keyboard – While the Treo has a fully functional QWERTY keyboard.. I find the 1, 2, 3, 4 and Dog and Cat buttons on the Vtech to often be all I need. I have yet to find a hack for the Treo that can make it play songs in the voice of a dog or a cat, but I am certain that some of our more technically adapt brethren developers in the group can come up with a good hack. Even so.. having a “hard” dog and cat button is very useful. I have , however, wanted to dial numbers OVER the number 4 which is not possible on the Vtech.

Display. The Treo wins this category hands down with its retro Joe Jitsu (am I dating myself?) display. True, the Vtech buttons do flash in colors, but the Treo has more color combinations than the primary red, blue green and red of the Vtech.

Battery. Vtech wins this as the batteries are completely replaceable. This is the primary reason I carry the Vtech AND the Treo at the same time in case the Treo battery runs out, although it is true that you can not make “actual” calls on the Vtech.. only imaginary ones.. but since my kids did not seem to mind, I just went with the flow…..

Antenna. The Vtech Antenna is somewhat bulbous less sleek than the Treo, but I’d give it a tie in this category.

Jog Buttons. – While it is true that with power Jog and some other apps discussed in the forums the Treo can be customized to do almost anything, I fine the simplicity of the Vtech 3 way “jog” switch with it’s choice of “off”, “music”, and “animal sounds” settings somewhat comforting.

Overall design - While the Treo flip cover certainly has the sleek Star Trek communicator ambiance to it, the Vtech is the ONLY portable phone that I am aware of that has a mirror.. and an unbreakable one at that! I saw a thread on here somewhere on adding a mirror to the back of the Treo so that one could look at themselves while on speakerphone, and while the vetch is bulky and reminiscent of the original Motorola phone I used to have, I think the Vtech winds this category hands down since the mirror is on the face of the phone.

Apps. Ok.. I have to admit.. the lack of apps for the Vtech.. and no discernable way to program the Vtech makes it somewhat deficient in this category, but as I said, I use BOTH phones so I leave the apps job to the Treo. However, when it comes time to play classic children’s songs in animal voices.. as noted above, the Vtech saves the day. Very useful in the proper situation.. although I can not necessarily articulate such a situation under the pressure of writing this review.

Cost… Well.. I bought the Treo at Circuit City for $500 with a $100 rebate (did I send that in yet????) and purchased the replacement plan. I think we paid $9.95 for the Vtech. Although it may have been a birthday present. .which as everyone knows.. is a much better phone acquisition method. While I did not purchase the replacement plan for the Vtech, am an not really sure if one is available from the various vendors, I figure if the Vtech ever breaks down, I will just purchase another one.. probably an upgraded model for the same price and perhaps with a new monkey or cow animal sound key to boot.

Connectivity – Well, I use Eudora for email and Blazer to surf on the Treo and I have not seen any threads or posts indicating that these or other apps are now compatible with the Vtech, I guess the Treo wins this category by a hair.

Overall… Like I said.. I would not give up either phone. They both have their utilities for me and serve different purposes. If I had to choose one or the other.. I guess I would go with the Treo inasmuch it is an actual smart phone that can dial and stuff, but I would hate to ever have to make this choice…

So now you are a more educated consumer…… go ye forth now empowered with the small knowledge that one humble poster has tried to share with his comrades….
    ETUTREO300
    You have too much free time!
    What was your expireance with Vtech tech support? Because i found that the lack of support for my SkillStarter Notebook really turned me off all Vtech products....... besides I would like to see a comparison between the Treo300 and the new B-Brilliant Pocket PC: Barbie Digital Personal Learning System both have a full QWERTY keyboard and the Barbie DPLS even ships with its own pink pleather protective carrying case.

................ yeah i got kids too....... can ya tell?
    Attached Images Attached Images
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by briguy33
    What was your expireance with Vtech tech support? Because i found that the lack of support for my SkillStarter Notebook really turned me off all Vtech products....... besides I would like to see a comparison between the Treo300 and the new B-Brilliant Pocket PC: Barbie Digital Personal Learning System both have a full QWERTY keyboard and the Barbie DPLS even ships with its own pink pleather protective carrying case.
    Hmm... I have not used the BDPLS. Looks interesting. This is from their website....

From the Manufacturer
    The handy B-Brilliant Pocket PC for girls on the go has 20 hip activities - memory, spelling, logic, math, vocabulary and games. Comes with a cool membrane keyboard, calculator feature and a rubber touch pen for keyboard input. Hear Barbie talk. It also has a carrying case. Requires 1 "button cell" battery (included).

I think for a lot of people the "Hear Barbie Talk" feature, by the way a feature not currently available on the Treo using wither Hackmaster or any other Hack software.... makes this a potential category killer competitor of the Treo.. at least with the 3-13 yo female market that Handspring has shied away from in the past.
    ETUTREO300
  5.    #5  
    Anyone have any new comparrisons?
    ETUTREO300
    My daughter discovered that you can in fact make phone calls using our universal remote control. She has spoken to grandma several times and it gets free long distance to anywhere in the world!
    Your kid has that too!!?? I also thought the long distance and voice capabilies on my Skytel pager was a much needed addition. Although the recent modernizations to the banana are extremely welcome. For hundres of years the banana was useless in collaboration and communications and, evidently, these new beta versions can voice dial anyone in the world including translate bark and meow to english.
  8.    #8  
    Just bringing this back up to the top
    ETUTREO300
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    (Looks like they won't allow null reply fields on this board...)
    Thanks again for reviving the thread.

Rusty J
    Treo 270 GSM/GPRS
    Winging it on AT&T
    Originally posted by djslais
    You have too much free time!
    Wash my car!!!!