Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Anyone know a good/decent directory assistance app that works on the Treo300? I've just tried DA (Directory Assistance) and it didn't work at all - received errror after error...

Help would be appreciated, thanks!

L
    Lee Ladisky
  2.    #2  
    In my attempts to make the DA application work, I installed a Webclipping library entitled Inet. Unfortunately, when I go to delete this library I get a message that it's in use and cannot be deleted...

Anyone know how can I remove this???

L
    Lee Ladisky
    well I use this app a TON and have no issues (nor any issues with any of the traditional PQAs either). You might be headed for the dreaded Hard Reset to get the file off....
    Hi, I'm the author of Directory Assistant and I'd like to resolve this if possible, both for your benefit and for that of others. Can you post some detail on the error messages?

As you've found out, the Treo does not come with web clipping installed, which is just bizarre IMHO. On top of that, the version that people are installing is not exactly the same as the one pre-installed on Kyoceras and wireless Palms, so I had to make a modification to get around that. If you don't have the latest version of DA, please refresh it.
  5.    #5  
    I believe that I have the latest version from your site, but if you could send me the latest just to be safe I'll be happy to try. The error messages that I've been getting are "Cannot get Data - 0" or "Cannot get Data - 3XXX?"

Most recently (after installation of the Inet library) it actually appears to try and work and I get an error about 60 seconds later... Previously, with the wireless library, the error would occur immediately.

Any help would be appreciated as it looks like a great app!

L
    Lee Ladisky
    Lee,

I assume you have the proxy set per instructions, right?
    Does a standard PQA work? I wil email the latest to you as well as a PQA to try in case you haven't already tried that.
  7.    #7  
    Ok - feeling stupid... But I could find no place to set the proxy and did not want to change my Sprint settings... did I miss something?
    It's on the Wireless pane of the Prefs app, it shows up after you do the reset after installing the webclipping PQAs.

It's just a stab in the dark, really. It defaults to an IP that appears to be valid, at least when I run it on the emulator.

I'm more interested in whether regular PQAs run OK or not.

Originally posted by Leeladisky
    Ok - feeling stupid... But I could find no place to set the proxy and did not want to change my Sprint settings... did I miss something?
    I gotta say that this is definitely one of the best apps for the Treo. I use it ALL the time, to look up people/companies, dial them, save their info to the address book, later get directions, maps, etc. Yes, you can get maps and directions with various apps, but none allow you to pull data from the address book to use as the origin and destination. Awesome.
  10.    #10  
    Interesting - after I did the reset - there was NO wireless pain in the preferences selection... The Inet library appears to be in use (because I cannot delete it), but there is no preferences page.

Please advise, thanks!

I have tried no other apps because I fear losing data or crashing....

L
    Lee Ladisky
    I appears that you do not have your unit setup to support PQA files. Go to www.woggledog.com and click on the link for PQA files. All the instructions are there on how to set it up.
    My life is in my Treo... Where is yours?
  12.    #12  
    Okay - so it wasn't clear that I needed to install ALL the applications from the web clipping file - I just thought I could choose 1. Call me slow... ;-)

But, now that I'm aware - it is an extreme amount of RAM to give up just to enable Webclipping... Is there a more memory efficient way to accomplish the same thing as my Treo already has Internet Access? Are there files I really don't need to install from the Webclipping group?

I'm already using JackFlash to maximize memory, so that's not a new option I can explore... thoughts?

L
    Lee Ladisky
    what a cool app! by the way, to add a detail that may or may not help with this thread. i have the latest clipping app installed. everything on mine seems to work fine. when i installed d/a and first tried to look myself up by putting in my name and state, i got the error described above (about 30 seconds of 'connecting' and then error '0'). this happened twice.

then i put in the zip code, and it worked fine. then i went back and tried it again without the zip, and that worked also, returning a whole bunch of listings. the mapping also worked though i don't seem to be able to zoom in and out like when i'm on my PC, probably a limitation of the screen.
    I'm a pretty picky guy, but I have to say that the Directory Assistance app is one of the most useful, practical, and well-laid-out pieces of software I have used on ANY platform, period. The wireless libraries plus the application itself take up less than 200k, and with 16MB it's definitely not a problem for me. The *only* things I'd like to see added are a history for the 'City or Zip' field, and jog-dial support for the Treo. Incredible stuff, though!
    Don't drop your phone in the toilet. Seriously.
  15.    #15  
    Okay - I really want to use this application... but based upon my additon of the libraries and app size, it appears more like 300k!!! Does EVERY library file (all 5: Wireless, Inet Library, Security Library, Web Library and Clipper) need to be installed for this app to run properly?

Is there a short cut?

L
    Lee Ladisky
    I just did an Emulator test. Wireless.prc is required to get the Wireless pane in the prefs, and Inet_library.prc is the required library itself. So that's 51K. The search functions in DA will run on just this.

Now, to get Directions or Maps you have to have the rest, because it's calling web clipping to do it. Perhaps the security one is optional, I don't know.

Some alternatives are possible of course with enough programming work. The web access could be done via the lower level netlib instead of inetlib, but the later is so much easier. To get around having to use web clipping for the map and directions, I could of course shell out to Blazer instead. In fact I tested doing just that, but opted to use web clipping in the end because it is SO much more likely to be on most wireless devices than is Blazer, Treos nothwithstanding. Plus the web clipping is so handy in that the back button takes you back to the calling app.

And I figure that most everyone that does much online is going to end up wanting to use PQA's anyway, so why not use the libraries. I may take these things into consideration for the future, at least giving the option to use Blazer. But for now, I'm afraid you're stuck with that 200K of overhead.

Originally posted by Leeladisky
    Okay - I really want to use this application... but based upon my additon of the libraries and app size, it appears more like 300k!!! Does EVERY library file (all 5: Wireless, Inet Library, Security Library, Web Library and Clipper) need to be installed for this app to run properly?

Is there a short cut?

L
    I assume you mean it would save every entry you put into those fields into the "Frequently Used Strings" list automatically, or perhaps an option to ask. Good request, I'll put it down for a future rev. For now you just have to make do with pre-loading the strings list with commonly used items.

Originally posted by mactin
    I'm a pretty picky guy, but I have to say that the Directory Assistance app is one of the most useful, practical, and well-laid-out pieces of software I have used on ANY platform, period. The wireless libraries plus the application itself take up less than 200k, and with 16MB it's definitely not a problem for me. The *only* things I'd like to see added are a history for the 'City or Zip' field, and jog-dial support for the Treo. Incredible stuff, though!
  18.    #18  
    Yes - I admit - great app... one of the best I've got... well worth the 200k and NO the security PQA is not necessary.

Really cool!

Thanks for all the help!

L
    Lee Ladisky
    OK, so this app seems to work for some users.

It looks like a very cool app that I would love to have work on my Treo 300 too.

However, I don't seem to be able to get this thing to work.

My web access works fine. I have the Treo set for an always on data connection. Everytime I try to do a DA query it goes to the Web Connecting Status = Connecting....

Then after 20-30 seconds it comes back with a Query Error = Error getting data:0

I believe I've done everything to get webclippings and DA installed properly, using the following versions:

Clipper 3.2
    iNetLib 3.2
    Weblibrary 3.2
    Securitylibrary 3.2
    Wireless 1.0
    DA 1.31

Still no go.

If it won't work, how do I get the webclipping files deleted. I cannot remove the webclipping prc files as they seem to think they are in use. I'm stuck in the middle.

Any help either way would be appreciated.

PG
    Never mind.

Sorry folks, but I forgot one, obviously critical step. Resetting the Wireless proxy setting.

It was set to what looked like a valid address, but once I hit the default button, it changed the address. I tried again after that, and it worked as expected.

And just as I thought, it is a very cool app, and has won a spot in the option phone hard button.

Thanks,

PG
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast