Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 55
  1. #21  
    Never mind.

    Sorry folks, but I forgot one, obviously critical step. Resetting the Wireless proxy setting.

    It was set to what looked like a valid address, but once I hit the default button, it changed the address. I tried again after that, and it worked as expected.

    And just as I thought, it is a very cool app, and has won a spot in the option phone hard button.

    Thanks,

    PG
  2. #22  
    Thanks for the info. Others have mentioned the Error 0 thing, now it looks like I have an explanation for why.

    Originally posted by TreoHappy
    Never mind.

    Sorry folks, but I forgot one, obviously critical step. Resetting the Wireless proxy setting.

    It was set to what looked like a valid address, but once I hit the default button, it changed the address. I tried again after that, and it worked as expected.

    And just as I thought, it is a very cool app, and has won a spot in the option phone hard button.

    Thanks,

    PG
  3. #23  
    I've posted a Beta version of Directory Assistant that adds some stuff that has been discussed in this thread, namely the ability to select Blazer instead of Web Clipping to view Maps/Directions (still need basic INetlib to search), and a menu item on all the query screens to save selected field to the Strings table. Plus some other things. If you are brave enough to test a Beta, have at it, here:

    http://home.triad.rr.com/rlwhitt/palm/Beta/da.zip
  4.    #24  
    Hey - the beta you posted works great...I deleted the Webclipping library from the Treo, installed your new version and adjusted the preferences...

    Voila! Perfect maps AND IN COLOR!!!!

    Yahoo!

    Great job!!!

    Love it!

    Where do I sign?

    I'll take 3!!



    L
    Lee Ladisky
  5. #25  
    rlwhitt -

    If I'm using the previous Treo-specific version, are there any inter-operability issues with this new version? I'd like to check this one out, and want to know if I'm going to cause any problems....
  6. #26  
    I'm a bit confused (nothing new). There's not a Treo specific version, and his one will overwrite whatever you've got. It does not remove any capabilities however.

    Originally posted by nrosser
    rlwhitt -

    If I'm using the previous Treo-specific version, are there any inter-operability issues with this new version? I'd like to check this one out, and want to know if I'm going to cause any problems....
  7. #27  
    Originally posted by rlwhitt
    I've posted a Beta version of Directory Assistant that adds some stuff that has been discussed in this thread, namely the ability to select Blazer instead of Web Clipping to view Maps/Directions (still need basic INetlib to search), and a menu item on all the query screens to save selected field to the Strings table. Plus some other things. If you are brave enough to test a Beta, have at it, here:

    http://home.triad.rr.com/rlwhitt/palm/Beta/da.zip
    This new version is excellent. I haven't used it but 2 or 3 times, so I'm not sure if it's ready to come out of beta, but the Blazer connection for maps is a major improvement.

    Thank you for a wonderful addition to my Treo.

    PG
  8. #28  
    Originally posted by Leeladisky
    Hey - the beta you posted works great...I deleted the Webclipping library from the Treo, installed your new version and adjusted the preferences...

    Voila! Perfect maps AND IN COLOR!!!!

    Yahoo!



    L
    This app is awesome and after about 20 minutes of tinkering is working perfectly. But my maps are not in color. Why might this be?
  9. #29  
    After trying the new version which allows Blazer to be used rather than web clipping, I've noticed one or two small usability things:
    Blazer doesn't offer a 'back' arrow after providing maps or directions, as does the web clip version of Mapquest. Not a big deal, but it's somewhat handy to use the arrow to return to search results, rather the launching the app over again.
    Also, the map returned with Blazer seems like a farther-out view than the same returned with Web Clipping version. I tested the same address with both, and while, yes, the Blazer one was in color, it was also much less detail - had to zoom in about 2 times to get to the same detail level as with Web Clipping. Also not a big deal, but worth noting.
    Thanks for keeping on top of this app, rlwhitt, it's one of the best since I transitioned out of the 6035 days.
  10. #30  
    There's nothing I can do about the first point - this is a Blazer vs Web Clipping thinf as I pointed out in the doc.

    As for the 2nd, I have noticed this as well. Even if I go to MapQuest main page and do the query through Blazer it does the same thing, so it does not appear to be anything I'm doing. But, in this case, I could possibly override the size in then URL to force the issue, pehaps as an option. I'll put it on the list...

    Originally posted by nrosser
    After trying the new version which allows Blazer to be used rather than web clipping, I've noticed one or two small usability things:
    Blazer doesn't offer a 'back' arrow after providing maps or directions, as does the web clip version of Mapquest. Not a big deal, but it's somewhat handy to use the arrow to return to search results, rather the launching the app over again.
    Also, the map returned with Blazer seems like a farther-out view than the same returned with Web Clipping version. I tested the same address with both, and while, yes, the Blazer one was in color, it was also much less detail - had to zoom in about 2 times to get to the same detail level as with Web Clipping. Also not a big deal, but worth noting.
    Thanks for keeping on top of this app, rlwhitt, it's one of the best since I transitioned out of the 6035 days.
  11. Puk
    Puk is offline
    Puk's Avatar
    Posts
    52 Posts
    #31  
    I'm trying out DA now, and I'm running into a problem. I've read through this thread (which also is what brought DA to my attention), and I didn't see mention of this, but I might have missed it.

    I installed DA and all of the webclipping.zip databases (I had room). I followed the directions for changing the proxy. When I try to do a search with DA, it goes through connecting, downloading (I forget the exact phrase it prints), and then it brings up the "Parsing..." message. It then sits there for between 1 and 2 minutes, after which a Fatal Alert box comes up with "Fatal Exception" in it. I have to tap the reset button.

    This happens every time. Any idea what might be causing it? Thanks for any help.

    -Puk
  12. #32  
    You need to isolate the problem. Download any other web clipping app out there (Palm.net has tons) and see if it works. I'm guessing it won't. The key is that Directory Assist (except for the most recent version which uses Blazer as the output mechanism) depends on the Web Clipping process to work correctly.

    My point? I think your issue is not related to the DA app itself.
  13. #33  
    Are you using the same query each time? If you want to email me the parameters I can try it. Also let me know what proxy setting you are using. Sounds like something is happening with the HTML that is returned that is different than what I expect. Web clipping is not involved at this stage, just the INetLib layer.

    Originally posted by Puk
    I'm trying out DA now, and I'm running into a problem. I've read through this thread (which also is what brought DA to my attention), and I didn't see mention of this, but I might have missed it.

    I installed DA and all of the webclipping.zip databases (I had room). I followed the directions for changing the proxy. When I try to do a search with DA, it goes through connecting, downloading (I forget the exact phrase it prints), and then it brings up the "Parsing..." message. It then sits there for between 1 and 2 minutes, after which a Fatal Alert box comes up with "Fatal Exception" in it. I have to tap the reset button.

    This happens every time. Any idea what might be causing it? Thanks for any help.

    -Puk
  14.    #34  
    Hey !!! All of a sudden, since using the new version you posted (the one that uses Blazer), searches are REALLY slow... In fact, if you search for something that DA either cannot find in the location you specified you get a Fatal Error. Either way, searches are really slow all of a sudden and often result in a fatal error using the Blazer version... I haven't gone back to the other version yet - any suggestions??

    Lee
    Lee Ladisky
  15.    #35  
    Originally posted by rlwhitt
    Are you using the same query each time? If you want to email me the parameters I can try it. Also let me know what proxy setting you are using. Sounds like something is happening with the HTML that is returned that is different than what I expect. Web clipping is not involved at this stage, just the INetLib layer.

    I'm having the exact same problems using the Blazer version:

    Parameters to search for:

    Business
    Maccaroni Grill, Dublin, CA 94583 or 94588
    Best Buy, Dublin, CA 94583 or 94588

    Same things... very long wait while "downloading," then parsing, then a fatal error.

    L
    Lee Ladisky
  16. skidoo's Avatar
    Posts
    345 Posts
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    #36  
    Yeah, I've tried both versions of DA, and they work MOST of the time, but just using Blazer against the 555-1212.com site is a lot faster and a lot less buggy. So my advice is: skip it. You don't need it.
  17.    #37  
    Folks - the new version I downloaded from the author's site has solved the problems... we're again good to go!

    L
    Lee Ladisky
  18. #38  
    where is this blazer version the link is dead
  19. #39  
    Oddly enough for me, when I first installed this marvelous app about a week ago, searches were lightning fast. Then, starting a day or so later, things slowed down tremendously (takes about 45 seconds for a directory lookup, though getting maps & driving directions is still almost instantaneous). I've reinstalled, using v. 1.42 of DA, but still slow. No change in proxy settings, etc.
  20. #40  
    Where is the beta the link is dead can anyone email it to me or something
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions