1.    #1  
    I posted a message earlier today about a problem with the Treo 300 Car Power Adapter.

I don't know if it posted so I am going to summarize.

There are two different Vehicle Power Adapters packaged by handspring with the Treo 300 for sprint.

One (bought at Best Buy) has the two retention clips on the side with sharp hooks. This one does not release from the phone or from the USB cable. It is packed in clear generic plastic with a white label, VPA for Use with handspring Treo, ICTREO-YT1, Barcode 60492 0098. It is folded twice and has one twist tie.

The other has the same connector as the USB cable and the Travel AC adapter. The connector has UP impressed in the plastic.
    It is packed in Red plastic and is folded twice with two twist ties. It works correctly.

I think Handspring has substitued a different Vehicle Power Adapter from a different supplier.

Be careful when you buy.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    i have the first one you described. although i did notice that i had to be careful taking it out, i have not noticed any problems.
    I've got the same problem on a 3-day-old unit purchased from BestBuy. The force I had to apply to remove the car charger from the Treo broke a retention clip on the charger, and it no longer stays connected. From what Sprint has told me, I'll have to exchange the entire unit at BestBuy just to get the car charger replaced...definitely not excited about going through Vision activation again.
    Don't drop your phone in the toilet. Seriously.
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by mactin
    I've got the same problem on a 3-day-old unit purchased from BestBuy. The force I had to apply to remove the car charger from the Treo broke a retention clip on the charger, and it no longer stays connected. From what Sprint has told me, I'll have to exchange the entire unit at BestBuy just to get the car charger replaced...definitely not excited about going through Vision activation again.
    You should be able to get a replacment as a warranty item from Handspring.

You should go back to Best Buy and insist that this is a defective car charger. Suggest that the entire Lot of Treo 300s at Best Buy may be affected. Use the description I used and the picture of the proper functioning connector.

The Treo Car Power Adapter for the Treo 90/180/270 works perfectly and is the replacement that Handspring will provide.

Suggest to Best Buy they exchange the car adapter for one of the Handspring Treo 90/180/270 packages and have Best Buy return it to Handspring as a defective item.

I did this today and after a logic argument and the proof of my 3 year replacment warranty, they just exchanged the power adapter with a Handspring 90/180/270 accessory.

Remember that a replacement of the entire unit may not help if the entire Lot has the defective car power adapter. This is a problem that needs to be communicated to Handspring.

I can not suggest that you Buy a Handspring Treo 90/180/270 Vehicle Power Adapter, take it home, get the two mixed up, and then return one to Best Buy because you did not realize one was in the box.
    Originally posted by mactin
    The force I had to apply to remove the car charger from the Treo broke a retention clip on the charger, and it no longer stays connected.
    I had the exact same problem.. I think a tiny piece of plastic covering the internal connections came off too, but have not noticed any problems with other cords... I guess I'll take the cord back to circuit City and ask for a replacement as discussed here (bought the replacement plan).
    ETUTREO300
    I went back to Best Buy tonight, and was unsuccessful. The problem lies in the fact that the charger is packaged w/ the Treo and not in inventory, and it's difficult (or impossible) to do an exchange for the separate car charger. Also, they were all out of 300's, so I couldn't do an exchange that way. I was told to come back tomorrow night when the store manager was there, and he'd figure out a way to take the $27.99 of the separate charger off of the price I paid for the phone, and credit it to my account. So, my best advice is that posted above...buy the separate car charger, come home, put your defective charger back in the packaging, and take that back for a refund. One thing's for sure, though...they're going to have to find a better way to deal with this problem. Good luck.
    Don't drop your phone in the toilet. Seriously.
    Hi all -

I had the same problem with the car charger. I could not remove it wthout damaging the plastic that protects the connectors on the bottom. Everyting works ok still but the car charger.

I busted out a philips head screw driver and pulled apart the connector of the car charger. Upon rebending the retention clips the charger does not stick anymore. Maybe it knows I was mad at it?

Anyway, I also bougth the Pro Clips phone holder from my truck and ran the charger wires through the dash and under the holder so just the connector sticks out to attach to the phone when in the mount. It looks like a professional job or close to it. I will provide pics if anyone wants them for ideas with their ride.

Have a great night!
    <b>The difficult is easy, the impossible takes time.</b>
    Originally posted by hbsr17

Anyway, I also bougth the Pro Clips phone holder from my truck and ran the charger wires through the dash and under the holder so just the connector sticks out to attach to the phone when in the mount. It looks like a professional job or close to it. I will provide pics if anyone wants them for ideas with their ride.
    That's actually a great idea. Did you plug the charger into the cigarette lighter socket, or did you disassemble the plug and wire it directly to the fuse box?
    i had the 'original' car adapter that was causing some folks problems. although i have managed to use it successfully, i also found a replacement on ebay for $10 so i picked one up. http://www.stores.ebay.com/pdaandcel...pt1/index.html

the same person also had the combo usb sync/charge cable, also for $10. i bought that too, since i needed a sync cable to have one at home, one at office.

now that i found out i can sync the yahoo calendar with the treo, i am really a happy camper.
    I plugged it right into the cig. lighter. In the 2001 Chevy trucks there is a little flip down cover to hide the 3 lighter ports. It nicley covers the adaptor so its mostly hidded. I have thougth about hard wiring it to the truck but have not had the time.
    <b>The difficult is easy, the impossible takes time.</b>
  11.    #11  
    Originally posted by aarons12
    now that i found out i can sync the yahoo calendar with the treo, i am really a happy camper.
    If you are syncing with Yahoo, then you are using true sync from starfish/motorola.

try the following.

Do not install the direct truesync conduit for syncing between Truesync and the Palm handheld.

Set it up to sync between Truesync and the Palm Desktop ONLY.

Use the Palm Desktop to sync with your handheld.

Use Truesync to sync with Yahoo, Outlook, ACT, Motorola Phones.

THis allows more reliable sync between the desktop and the handheld and allows for better and safer backup.

Be careful with repeating or multiday events.

Good Luck
    My vehicle power adapter came during lunch today.

I've scanned the letter that came in the box should any of you wish to view it.

Thanks.

Mark
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Mark,

Where did you buy your Treo? Directly from Sprint or Handspring? Or from a retailer?

I wonder if they're sending them to everyone.
    I purchased my Treo 300 from the Beckley, WV Sprint Store.

Don't have any idea. I would think Sprint would send to all who have Treo 300s in their database.
    Mark,
    Did you do anything to instigate the replacement, or did it just magically appear?

How long ago did you buy the 300?

Thanks
    Another Mark!
    It just showed up with no prompting from me. I didn't have any problems with the one I have but I guess I'll take their word for it and chuck the old one.

I've had my Treo for about a month and a half.
    I'll compare mine to the picture and maybe start watching the mailbox - I've had mine almost 2 months.
    I also received the adapter in the mail. i purchases mine at Compusa in Pittsburgh. Never requested adapter.
    My replacement showed up today out of the blue. I bought mine direct from Sprint the week they came out. Good job Sprint!
    To show an even more incredible leap of customer service from SPCS........I received my replacement in the mail today (even though I think I already have a "good" one--no problems yet), and I bought my Treo from an individual on eBay. The only ties I have to Sprint is that I activated it through them. They must be sending them to everyone that shows on their database as a Treo 300 owner who has activated it.

Very nice. Now just get my SMS to work.