Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Actually, while we are discussing this, the easiest thing HS could do to improve the machine is to improve some of the SW. JOT should be standard and I would really like to see better integration of the dialer and the database. E.g. it should be possible to make a quick dial entry by just selecting and entry. Any Hackmasters out there?
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    This poll should RANK preferences, not have only one choice!
  3.    #23  
    bumping...
    I find it quite interesting that Palm Tungsten W has anticipated the result of your survey. They clearly have the screen being requested, the expansion slot, plus bluetooth availablity and even the replaceable battery.

Now if only it behaved like a phone allowing proper conversations without an earpiece .... .
    Isn't that wierd? I wonder though, if they have Btooth, perhaps the idea is to have a wireless ear bud?

One of the nice things about the Treo is that once it is open with speaker on, you can talk to it! Very human!
    Palm's explanation was that the earbud allowed people to hear the phone call while looking at the screen. I think there may be an occasional person that likes that idea, but the vast majority will want a more natural telephone when they make calls.
    Sure ... BUT a bluetooth gizmo in the ear could do ti .. and imagine the profits from replacing lost earbuds!
    In response to what the upcoming Treos will need changed, I can't vote on just the 1 top change. Treo needs at least several, at least 3 major changes. And I believe the most important 3 are higher resolution screen(320x320 minimum, like the new Sony Clies, they are beautiful), a new freaking browser which can support java (how bout swithcing to Windows CE, huh, ever thought of that? a REAL browser), and finally, a faster connection! (Sprint brags about their r1 whatever network w/ donwloads up to 144k/s, bulls*it more like 1K/s) how about just going wireless?

Eventually all of US will be operating on 802.11b wireless networks anyway, just like in Asia, and everybody's cell phones will have broadband speeds for their internet...thats how its gonna be in 5 years time. So hope to see those changes soon, along with all the rest of the other changes-SD expansion, bluetooth, longer battery, etc. etc. But higher resolution screen is top #1 change.

Joe Tse
  9.    #29  
    bump
  10. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    One other thing I'd like to see in future Treos that's been referred to in reviews but I haven't seen anyone come out and request...

...a "one-push" home button to replace hitting the blue option button and then the home button. It definitely looks feasible to me (but I haven't taken a Treo apart, so I don't know how feasible it is on the inside) to reshape the two buttons on the lowest row of the keyboard and add two more buttons. That seems to me to be a no-brainer.
  11.    #31  
    Originally posted by Q
    One other thing I'd like to see in future Treos that's been referred to in reviews but I haven't seen anyone come out and request...

...a "one-push" home button to replace hitting the blue option button and then the home button. It definitely looks feasible to me (but I haven't taken a Treo apart, so I don't know how feasible it is on the inside) to reshape the two buttons on the lowest row of the keyboard and add two more buttons. That seems to me to be a no-brainer.
    That's a really good idea, the whole 2 button dance for simply getting to the launcher really gets my panties in a twist. I wish I'd included it from the start.

Please add it to the other section.

D.
    post removed
    What might be better pollwise is to allow people to select a limited number of options, say, three.

That way people can highlight the issues most important to them, even when two or three issues are tied for that. That should still keep it focused on what's most important.

I'll vote after I've had my Treo for a few weeks.
    I agree-

Stick to the top 3 issues you would like to see--this way they will more likely be implemented by the programmers/product developers at Handspring.

And they better make the changes soon-CAUSE WE'RE ALL WAITING. My three, and I've never changed my mind, are:

1)320x320 screen resolution minimum. This way you can actually see the street names on maqquest, and the text for the Xino browser and stuff. And pictures will be brilliant and so will browsing.

2)A better browser--with FULL JAVA CAPABILITY--ie Windows CE?
    One which stars passwords so people cant see your password when typed, and one which actually SAVES COOKIES, even when you log out. EVERY TIME I LOG IN, I HAVE TO REENTER MY USER NAME AND PASSWORD. Normally, you would only have to reenter your password.

3)A faster browser--I know this is always being worked on, but cmon-i cant stand the 1KB/s data transfer speeds. I would rather much stick to my computer's broadband any day. I know this is dial up, and dial up has its limitations. Perhaps move up to 802.11b wireless?

Joe T
  15.    #35  
    just bumping...
    Well, now that I have a Treo, I voted.

My vote: better sound quality and higher volume. Particularly on SMS messages, voicemails and alarms.

I rely on my phone for work purposes. That includes waking me up during sleep in an emergency. The ringer volume is just on the edge of doing that. It's enough sometimes, but not a sure thing. It's equivalent to 'medium' volume on my old Samsung 3500.

The SMS and VM alarms are much worse. They're two quiet tiny beeps -- often I don't hear them at my own desk, never in my pocket, never when listening to music. They're certainly not going to wake me up, whereas my old phone was guaranteed to.

Why isn't there any way to change the ringer and volume of the SMS and VM alerts? I'd ike to have them loud and constant for at least a minute.

If the other alerts could be at least as loud as the ringer, then my complaint would be much smaller.. but basically as far as I'm concerned, there is no SMS/VM audible alert. I guess I'm supposed to just take it out of my pocket every few min to check?
    With the number of people voting for the expansion slot, that should give some indication that people are more concerned with using the Treo as a PDA foremost, and as a phone/data device second.

I voted for a replaceable battery, mainly because what attracted me to the Treo was its mobile connectivity features, which aren't of much use if the batteries are dead And you're not very mobile if you have to be plugged into a charger.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12