1.    #1  
    Has anyone been able to actually make the WirelessModem program work on a Treo 300? If so, can you please tell me what settings you used for Port 1 and Port 2 in the program?

Thank you, very much

Dan Parsons
    Originally posted by DigiSage
    Has anyone been able to actually make the WirelessModem program work on a Treo 300? If so, can you please tell me what settings you used for Port 1 and Port 2 in the program?

Thank you, very much

Dan Parsons
    Works great for me. I use Wireless Modem for PDA Modem Port (Port 1 in your version) and USB Generic2 for Laptop Connected Via (Port 2 in your version). While I believe older versions of WirelessModem should work on the Treo300, I haven't used one. Of course, I'm using a Macintosh with a USB driver for the Treo 300. If you're using Windows, you won't be able to use USB (unless you write a USB driver).
    Is there any way to get a copy of this wirelessmodem software??

Thanks
    -Gadgetpro
    I got it to work with my Powerbook the other night. One thing that I notice is something Scott has mentioned in other posts: speed.

I won't pass judgement until I have messed with it more but it seemed painfully slow in comparison to a N400 using the data cable.

I have heard that WAP uses a single stack connection where data kit connections use double.

Does Wireless Modem use a single stack connection as if browsing with WAP? This might account for the difference in speed but it also may be a bonus. I have heard that on 10$ unlimited plans double stack connections will not be allowed in the near future.
    Originally posted by intractv
    I got it to work with my Powerbook the other night. One thing that I notice is something Scott has mentioned in other posts: speed.

I won't pass judgement until I have messed with it more but it seemed painfully slow in comparison to a N400 using the data cable.

I have heard that WAP uses a single stack connection where data kit connections use double.

Does Wireless Modem use a single stack connection as if browsing with WAP? This might account for the difference in speed but it also may be a bonus. I have heard that on 10$ unlimited plans double stack connections will not be allowed in the near future.
    As far as I can determine, WirelessModem uses a single stack (hard to explain why, but I believe it does). I've done tweaking on the app to try to increase performance, but I somehow suspect that Sprint is doing odd stuff to try to optimize the network (transparent proxy) which is slowing things down. This is just a guess, but I see connection speeds that are about 14 kbps. I ran a test the other day to DSL Reports and saw a downlink speed of 14 kbps and an uplink speed of 45 kbps...very odd.

WirelessModem is simple; it passes data from the laptop to the modem in the Treo...that's about it. It is quite possible that the Treo's speed is the limiting factor here, but it is just speculation at the moment.
    I hate to do the me too thing, but I'm a little desperate here. A bunch of us at work all got Treos and we're all hoping to use them to send the occasional file from our laptops while travelling. If the software's still available from some source, I'd be a happy person if I could hear about it.

Thanks,
    Chris
    Originally posted by PilotChris
    I hate to do the me too thing, but I'm a little desperate here. A bunch of us at work all got Treos and we're all hoping to use them to send the occasional file from our laptops while travelling. If the software's still available from some source, I'd be a happy person if I could hear about it.

Thanks,
    Chris
    There have been a number of companies that have contacted me about licensing the software and releasing it to the public. Hopefully this will happen soon. While I'd love for everyone to use the software today, I still get rude customers sending me email and blaming me because they can't hook their Treo to a laptop; I believe that the anger should be directed towards Handspring for leaving out this most basic functionality. (Also there has been at least one website that has basically said I'm irrational for removing the software.)

As a small developer, I don't have the resources to support a virtually unlimited number of laptop configurations (95% of the issues with WirelessModem are laptop configuration issues which really is out of my knowledge base).
    Originally posted by sgruby

There have been a number of companies that have contacted me about licensing the software and releasing it to the public. Hopefully this will happen soon. While I'd love for everyone to use the software today, I still get rude customers sending me email and blaming me because they can't hook their Treo to a laptop; I believe that the anger should be directed towards Handspring for leaving out this most basic functionality. (Also there has been at least one website that has basically said I'm irrational for removing the software.)

As a small developer, I don't have the resources to support a virtually unlimited number of laptop configurations (95% of the issues with WirelessModem are laptop configuration issues which really is out of my knowledge base).

scott .... i dunno about the others ... I hope you keep your software alive ....today was the first time i thought about using your software .. i ran out bought a serial cable ... and i downloaded the software and tried it... followed the instructions on the web and i was up an running with the first try !!!!

not to say that everyone on here are morons .... but honestly i thought the instructions were straight forward ... i connected at 56k no probs .

scott it thought you would like to know that there are quite a few of us out here that do appreciate your work and though i have not asked you before for support .. I do notice you that you go out of your way to help the others on here with the wireless modem problems.

I sure hope someone writes the usb drivers.
    Works fine for me with an IBM T23 using the IR port.
    I got it working over the holidays at about 14.4 Almost unusable. Still occasionally tweaking it to see if I can get a little more speed out of it. I'm using an IR connecting through my Laptop with XP. Has anyone gotten a higher speed through IR?

I also had no problem setting up the app, and getting it to work following the instructions. Scott has a great little app here! I applaud him for the work! I don't think my speed complaint is his fault, I believe it's the 33mhz treo and IR.

Has anyone tried a speed hack for the treo using the app? It would be interesting to see if it works, and if there's a speed improvement.

Tom
    Originally posted by sgruby

---------------

Scott,

I just got the TREO 300 for xmas and thought it was turnkey to use as a modem for a laptop/windows 2000s (as told to me by SPRINTPCS sales forces). I have been reading the comments posted and trying to keep up with what needs to be done. I can't figure out (too many postings) if your software is now off the website. I have a Windows 2000 laptop and would like to connect the TREO 300 via USB. If you could LMK what the definitive answer to make this happen I would appreciate it. BTW I think HANDSPRING/SPRINTPCS should just pay you to fix this problem...looks like you have helped out a lot of users so far.

Keep up the good work!!!

David
    whiskey12five
    Whiskey,

Won't work on a Windows machine via USB. You'll need to run it via IR or serial.

See http://www.notifymail.com

It has the software and documentation for installation.

Good luck, I'm waiting for my serial cable now...no IR port.

NCTreo300
    Originally posted by whiskey12five

---------------

Scott,

I just got the TREO 300 for xmas and thought it was turnkey to use as a modem for a laptop/windows 2000s (as told to me by SPRINTPCS sales forces). I have been reading the comments posted and trying to keep up with what needs to be done. I can't figure out (too many postings) if your software is now off the website. I have a Windows 2000 laptop and would like to connect the TREO 300 via USB. If you could LMK what the definitive answer to make this happen I would appreciate it. BTW I think HANDSPRING/SPRINTPCS should just pay you to fix this problem...looks like you have helped out a lot of users so far.

Keep up the good work!!!

David
    Unfortunately SprintPCS lied to you; as of today, the Treo 300 (180/270, also) does not work out of the box as a wireless modem. As mentioned in another post, you can't use my software over USB with Windows.

I agree that Handspring should purchase my software, but so far, no one from Handspring has contacted me (it's not like they don't know about the software; their support knowledge base has a link to it). I suspect that the lack of a Windows USB driver is preventing them from talking to me.

I think that the oversight of not allowing the Treo to be used as a wireless modem out of the box is not excusable; way back in 1997 when I was at Qualcomm working on the pdQ phone (predecessor to the Kyocera 6035), this was a requirement. The top people at Handspring were at Palm when we were working on the phone, so they knew about this.