1.    #1  

In trying to track down a potentially buggy piece of software installed onto the Treo from my old Palm IIIc, I am contemplating doing a hard reset to return my Treo 300 to factory settings, and then re-install extra stuff one at a time.

However, in studying the Treo User Guide.pdf, I find some ambiguous language which suggests that then restoring data from my computer backup only works for the pda, and that I will lose my phone and visions settings and have to call/beg SprintPCS to restore them. It is not really clear. At one point, it suggests that this is true only if I have Wireless Lock on, but at another point in the Guide, it seems more general.

I'm hoping that one or more of the more technically proficient and knowledgeable users here can give me the answer - will I lose my phone and web service with a hard reset?

I don't want to go through the agony of setup with Sprint all over again if I can avoid it. I might even consider living with the occasional annoyance of the mystery bug, which only occurs (Fatal Error) when I try to access or reassign to a category from the launcher by using the pull-down menu at the upper right corner of the screen.

Thanks in advance for any knowledgeable advice!

NateS
    Originally posted by NateS

In trying to track down a potentially buggy piece of software installed onto the Treo from my old Palm IIIc, I am contemplating doing a hard reset to return my Treo 300 to factory settings, and then re-install extra stuff one at a time.

However, in studying the Treo User Guide.pdf, I find some ambiguous language which suggests that then restoring data from my computer backup only works for the pda, and that I will lose my phone and visions settings and have to call/beg SprintPCS to restore them. It is not really clear. At one point, it suggests that this is true only if I have Wireless Lock on, but at another point in the Guide, it seems more general.

I'm hoping that one or more of the more technically proficient and knowledgeable users here can give me the answer - will I lose my phone and web service with a hard reset?

I don't want to go through the agony of setup with Sprint all over again if I can avoid it. I might even consider living with the occasional annoyance of the mystery bug, which only occurs (Fatal Error) when I try to access or reassign to a category from the launcher by using the pull-down menu at the upper right corner of the screen.

Thanks in advance for any knowledgeable advice!

NateS
    Based upon some issues I have had with having to do a ##PRI command to restore data connectivity, I decided to do a hard reset to see if it would fix my problem last week. While doing this wiped out any third-party apps as it should and restored the Treo to its base configuration, it did not touch any of my phone and Vision settings. I was able to connect fine immediately after the hard reset.
    Last edited by enagel; 10/23/2002 at 11:00 PM.
    I've had to hard reset 3 times due to some bug. You lose all the data, but the phone and vision both continue to work.

It is driving me crazy, however. 3 times in a week, complete wipeout. Never when I was sitting at home, either.
  4.    #4  
    enagel said:

Based upon some issues I have had with having to do a ##PRI command to restore data connectivity, I decided to do a hard reset to see if it would fix my problem last week. While doing this wiped out any third-party apps as it should and restored the Treo to its base configuration, it did not touch any of my phone and Vision settings. I was able to connect fine immediately after the hard reset.

and grawk said:

I've had to hard reset 3 times due to some bug. You lose all the data, but the phone and vision both continue to work.

Thank you both so very much for your good advice and reassurance!
    It not only gave me the confidence to do a hard reset, and a restore, but it seems to have gotten rid of the bug!

Thanks again!

NateS
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Hi,

Just wanted to know what ##PRI was? Thanks!

Glenn
    Originally posted by glenng
    Hi,

Just wanted to know what ##PRI was? Thanks!

Glenn
    If you enter a ##PRI into the Phone Dial screen on the Treo it will take you to a screen where you can reset the Treo back to factory default settings providing SPCS gives you the Master Subsidy Lock code for your Treo based upon the PRI checksum number.
    Just want to encourage everyone else that if they upgraded to the Treo from a previous Palm device and just let your 3rd-party apps get installed "automatically" during the first hotsync, DON'T. Uninstall the apps, do a hard reset, do whatever you have to do to install the third-party apps from scratch.

I guarantee you, you will always have problems/errors otherwise.
    As I detailed in another thread, I had some problems where I used Ringo to add a few custom tones and then couldn't delete them. I wondered if I could do ##PRI to reset the phone side to the original out of the box configuration (no custom ring tones) and then reprovision the phone. Would this work? Is it easy? Are there any problems?
    Originally posted by tedc
    As I detailed in another thread, I had some problems where I used Ringo to add a few custom tones and then couldn't delete them. I wondered if I could do ##PRI to reset the phone side to the original out of the box configuration (no custom ring tones) and then reprovision the phone. Would this work? Is it easy? Are there any problems?
    The best way to clear Ringo out, since it is a third party app, would be to do a hard reset on the Treo and then add back to the Treo your data and third-party apps minus Ringo. This, of course, requires some time to "re-populate" the Treo.

While I can't answer whether a ##PRI and the resetting the Treo back to the factory defaults would solve your particular problem, this method would leave your data and third party apps intact on the Treo. If you decide to do this, you have to call SPCS Tech Support (at least second level) and tell them you want want to do a ##PRI and you need the Master Subsidy Lock number for your phone.

When you do the ##PRI, a screen will display that will show the PRI checksum number for your phone and a button labelled restore phone to factory defaults. Based upon the PRI checksum number, which is unique to each phone, SPCS should give you the Master Subsidy Lock number. You will need this as when you click on the restore factory defaults button it will take you to another screen where you enter the lock number. Once you click on ok on this screen, the Treo will restore factory defaults and then reprovision itself.

I had to do the above based upon a problem some on this board were having with no IP based app on the Treo sending or receiving data. The reset process would clear this up. As a side note, SPCS has apparently fixed its network in my area so I no longer have to this.
    I had to do a hard reset some time back, and it didn't affect my phone, Vision, data services, nada. Go for it.