Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So I've seen several posts now where people seem to have a problem with always leaving their data connection on. Why is that?

I've always had my network settings start the data connection whenever my wireless mode is turned on, and I've never had problems. It would be a pain to start the data connection every time I check a website or do something that requires the link.

Just curious.
    I've had problems getting mysteriously disconnected for the last 3 weeks or so. This is happening from my home, where I have a contstant 3-bar signal, and was not happening in August or September. When I check a web site, Blazer will just time-out (I get the standard, "Blazer can not ... try again later" message). After 2 or 3 attempts, I see that I am being connected to the network and everything will work OK for a while. I've been checking my network connection status BEFORE I launch Blazer and it shows that I'm connected??

Sprint claims other service areas are having this problem and that they are "working on it" (I'm in the DC/Baltimore svc area).

PS - I also have my network prefs. set to connect whenever the radio is turned on, but this doesn't make any difference.
    I've heard people talk that leaving your data connection up has serious battery draining issues... I tend not to leave it up, so I havn't really noticed this. Can anyone say anything else about this?

Josh
    I just got my unlimited Vision plan on Monday, so I just started looking at this. I checked mail once yesterday using Mark/Space Mail and my battery was drained 3 hours later (1 voice call and one short check mail session). I don't believe it is related to M/S Mail, but am looking into it.

My best guess at the moment is that keeping connected is causing a periodic "tickle" on the network and therefore drains the battery. I'm curious to see what applications others use that seem to have a significant battery drain.
    With the cheap unlimited data plan and the Amazon discount the Treo 300 has entered my price point.

I'm curious if leaving the data connection on takes up a lot of battery or if there's another reason why I wouldn't leave the data connection on for hours at a time. I'm kind of used to the cable modem mentality of just go to the computer and look up a website. I'm wondering if my treo can just be: pull it out of my pocket, open lid, click Blazer, and go.

Also, I've heard that Sprint coverage is terrible in buildings and not very good in the Boston area overall, but that going to have to be try and see thing.
  6.    #6  
    I've never had a battery problem. I get push email, sync wirelessly every 30 minutes to BizConn, check websites 10 times a day or so (sometimes more than 20), hotsync once or twice a day, and talk about 500 minutes a month.

I charge overnight and it lasts all day, without the bar even moving. I think one time it was about 75 percent. I've gone about two days without charging and it was still more than 50 percent.
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    How do you set the Treo to be "always on" ???

Very cool
    <b> "Is that a Treo in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?!?" </b>
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Never mind I found it. Does this just keep me on so I can instant connect when I hit Blazer? Pretty cool, will test out battery time.
    <b> "Is that a Treo in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?!?" </b>
    thanks for asking my next question. i looked all through my 'preferences' but could not find the setting that automatically connects to the web whenever wireless mode is on...
    ok, i got it. go to preferences/network. then touch the top blue 'preferences' tab and choose options/preferences. that's where the 'always connect' box is.
    Okay - it would make me really nervous to have the Treo "always on" the network... I would feel like I'm radiating my side...

L
    Lee Ladisky
    True always having it on does sound like a lot of radiation, but doesn't a cell phone have to be on anyway to receive a call? Does it not give off radiation while it figures out if a call is being received or is it only when you actively talk on it. If it's only when you talk, why should that be any different that being connected, but not sending any data packets from my pocket? Of course when I take it out and use it, then I'd expect radiation. Does anyone know of radiation levels of the Treo (in data as well as voice if different would be interesting)? Cnet.com had an area in their wireless section, but Treo's weren't included.
    similar to sgruby, if I leave the data connection on my battery drains in less than 3 hours. I assumed everyone was having this problem - but from some of the previous posts it doesn't look that way.

I thought the device was supposed to power down the transmit rf circuit when it had been idle (for around 10 seconds?). Experience says this isn't the case. Is something trickling data out causing the device not to sleep? This happens both with Blazer and with Snappermail - so I don't think it is the app.

I am also limited to under 3 hours on a voice call - seems to be about the same duration as the data call - no surprise there - same rf circuit.

Anyone have details on how it is supposed to work? It would appear, for some subset of those on this thread, it is working.

pete
    I leave my data connection always up, and I've not noticed any discernable loss of battery. Love the always on data. Love the unlimited data. All good.
    I too leave my Treo connected to the network for an entire day with no noticeable difference in battery life.

Maybe the reason why some people are experiencing battery issues when continuously connected to the network, is that they have certain applications installed on their Treo that hit the network intermittently in the background (either as an intended function - e.g., AIM, MidCast - or as an unintentional compatibility issue with the Treo - i.e., wireless application not specifically designed for the Treo)? Just a thought...

Also, as a side note, disable digital roaming if you don't use it. I've found this to be a top culprit in battery drainage cases in weak signal areas.
    I've left mine on and found the battery drained quite fast. Problem was this happened on a Friday night, and I had left the charger at work.

One thing that may matter is what app you leave your device in when you "power off" the device. My "drain" happened either when I was in Blazer or one of the mail programs. The mail program was NOT configured to poll for email, nore was it a push.
    One other issue may be that if your signal strength drops and the unit is in data mode, it probably is constantly "pinging" the network to reconnect or stay connected. That may also drain the battery...similar to the way of if you roam and your phone has to try to scan and pick up a new cell site, it is somewhat hard on battery life.

--- bry
    Always on does not literally mean that. The 3G network is smart enough that it optimizes your experience and that of Sprint. You get a session assigned to you when you first connect to the Vision cdma2000 network. That session remains active as long as IP packets are being sent or received by your Treo but otherwise it goes to sleep and there is no traffic going back and forth. You can tell the difference by the little data arrows in the bars gadget in the Launcher or visible in Blazer/Treo Mail.

The network gains because it can use the bandwidth your device needs to service others while you are not actively transmitting data. So effectively you have an initial login which takes maybe 10 seconds and then a re-connect which takes about 1-2 secs. Your impression is of always-on. It is like the discussion about push versus pull mail - it does not have any real implications unless you are very anal about the semantics of the words.

Regarding power, maintaining the connection should show no appreciable extra power usage because your Treo will simply check to ensure that you are still in cdma2000 coverage from time to time just as the Treo checks to ensure you are in call coverage area. This should use a negligible amount of extra power.

The real battery burner on all cdma phones is when the phone seeks coverage for voice when you are off the network. You are better off to simply turn your phone off rather than leave the phone seeking. The receiver is set to maximum sensitivity and it hops around the modes looking for a signal. It is a fact of life on cdma networks like Sprint and Verizon.

Also using your phone in areas of low coverage increases battery usage for both voice and data calls. The logic is straightforward - cellular phones are radio transceivers (a radio receiver and a transmitter). The Treo auto-adjusts the wattage of the transmitter dynamically all the time to adjust to local signal strength. Transmitters typically put out between 1 and 2 watts. If your phone is in four bars, 1 watt burns your battery quite a bit slower than 1 bar areas where your phone has to up the transmit power and also the reception sensitivity. Your battery has a fixed capacity of around 1100 milliamp hours and can only keep cranking out 2 watts for considerably less time than 1 watt.

On the subject of batteries (I digress), keep em warm. Cold batteries dont behave well. Dont store it in the glove compartment overnite and expect stellar performance next day. The battery will recover. Conversely, Lithium Ion batteries hate to be overheated - they permanently lose capacity - don't leave your Treo in the car in Death Valley in direct sunlight. Temperatures over about 110 degrees are bad.
    Last edited by Poryphyron; 10/29/2002 at 06:16 PM.
    I agree with Porphyron's latest, with one exception. Typical AMPS (US analog) phones use 3.0 Watts (old, in-car installation) or 0.6Watts (just off the battery). CDMA phones use an average of 0.2Watts power (almost never go above that). That's why, all other things being equal, a typical CDMA phone battery will outlast an AMPS phone battery. GSM and TDMA phones use more than 0.2Watts.
    Cool.. I've been trying to figure this out! Now I'm set for "always on". I have been keeping it connected for Vision for a few days now and I don't notice the battery taking much of a hit.
    Robert
    Please visit my moblog, Robert-O-Rama
    I've had my phone set for always on since I got it, and I love it. I think of it as 'DSL in my pocket' (gotta be a little careful there). Would never go back to my Verizon/6035/have to dial up each time method of smartphone usage. Combined with the unlimited data, this is a completely different paradigm.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast