1.    #1  
    Hello.

First, since I have to use non-alphabet character, I can't use Treo Mail or something like that kind of programs.
    Treo Mail could be just an email checker, and I can receive the emails by my email program later. But minimum checking interval is 30min., also Treo Mail isn't free.

I've got an idea.
    I'm using "Mail" on Mac OSX. So I can forward emails automatically to other address when emails arrive.

Process is like this,
    "Mail" forwards my regular email messages to phone#@messaging.sprintpcs.com, and Treo's SMS program tells me a new message is in my mail box.

So I can check emails automatically and I can receive all of them by email program on my treo.

So far, this is working fine. My question is,
    If I use unlimited data plan or data usage is lower than my plan, there are no hiddn costs, right? Or, are there something like SMS fee or Wirelss web charge?

Thanks.
    You are absolutely right. With unlimited data, there will be no hidden cost. The only catch is that the messages will be clipped at 160 characters but you should still be able to see if it is worth retrieving the rest of the message.
  3.    #3  
    > Brooose

Thank you for the answer which makes me happy!

Yes, the message was clipped at 160 character. But it was like this.

"Begin forwarded message; >From: sender name <sender address> Date: receive date"

Isn't this perfect to check emails??

Thanks!
    Last edited by coelacanth; 10/23/2002 at 03:40 PM.
    Yes, that is a great idea and I tried it for a while too ... BUT ... you must keep your desktop email app. (Outlook) running all the time so you can get the forwarded SMS's. This may or may not be practical ...
    Originally posted by Llynx
    Yes, that is a great idea and I tried it for a while too ... BUT ... you must keep your desktop email app. (Outlook) running all the time so you can get the forwarded SMS's. This may or may not be practical ...
    That's only if he's using Outlook, obviously, and BizConn, which coelacanth did not indicate. The SMS notification process can work with any email system (I use it for attbi and Yahoo), then pull the mail using POP and Eudora (which is free )
  6.    #6  
    As Llyux wrote, this idea totally depends on your system, service of IAP, email program on desktop etc...

In my case, this is working fine. Coz I'm using a DSL connection which provides me a static IP address and Mac OSX(If there is nothing wrong, doesn't need a reboot for couple days or even longer).

So I can be connected to the internet 24/7. And "Mail" can turn on/off rules easily. When I'm using desktop computer, I turn the forwarding rule off. And when I go out, I simply turn the forwarding on.

If your IAP or email server has some feature to forward emails somewhere AND leave them on the server, this tips might work...
    I just tried it, and the only problem is that it only gives you the body of the message. There was no "return" or "from" email address (i.e., you may not know who's sending you email)...is there any way to change this setting in SMS?
    Hmmmm....I set up the Outlook rule to forward all my email (with a few exceptions, of course), and nothing's happening, despite email coming into my inbox. Any ideas of what I'm doing wrong?
  9.    #9  
    Hi ajchenmph.

About first problem. I think the begining part of a forwarded message depends on the setting of your email software. Since I'm not using Outlook, I'm not sure about details of Outlook's settings. If you can edit the head part of forwarding messages, you can add some information such as date, name, address. A mail software, which I used to use, had the manual setting of forwarding message. Like "%% wrote this message at ####, $$$$" %/#/$ are vars. Check your mail software. I'm using Apple's Mail and its forwarding message starts from sender name, date and subject.

About second problem. Have you tried "phone#@messaging.sprintpcs.com" as forwarding address? If you've tried only username@sprintpcs.com, try another one. I tried username@sprintpcs.com and it didn't work at all.

Right now, "phone#@messaging.sprintpcs.com" is working just fine. Any PC & Outlook users help?

coelacanth
    I am using phone#@messaging.sprintpcs.com, I suspect that it's a setting on our Exchange server that's not allowing the rule to run properly. Thanks for the tip, anyway.

Re: the first issue -- not particularly important, but it was annoying not to see who the email was from. I'll get over it.
    I do this on my Treo 270. I set my e-mail program to "redirect" the e-mail instead of forwarding it, and it sends it out exactly as it received it. So it starts out with the sender and the subject line, then the first 100 or so characters of the text. I use Microsoft Entourage (same as Outlook) on a Mac.
    Originally posted by rosswords

I do this on my Treo 270. I set my e-mail program to "redirect" the e-mail instead of forwarding it, and it sends it out exactly as it received it.
    Does it keep a copy of your email in your Entourage/Outlook?
    Yes.

The biggest advantage of doing it this way is that with "redirect," you don't get all the headers that you get when you forward it. So the original sender, subject line and beginning of the body all appear in the SMS.

The downsides, of course, are that it only works when your desktop machine is on and that you have to pay for all those SMS's -- even for spam that gets forwarded. Fortunately, I'm able to screen out most spam using the rules in Entourage/Outlook.

I don't know if the PC version of Outlook has the same "redirect" option.