1.    #1  
    Having been one of the first 180 owners dulls the empathy a bit but I still feel sorry for the 300 owners whose $500 device is now $250.
    Yes, but this is really not much news in the world of tech.

It seems like at least once a week that I see a recently >$200 being sold for $0-$50 after rebate due to the whims of the company that made the phone or the local wireless company... often in response to a newer model coming down the pike or whatever.

It's even worse with computers. If you really want to get depressed, by a cutting-edge Pentium 4 system, and then price the exact same system 3-6 months later. Have alcohol handy.

Early adopters get the fun stuff to play with, but definitely at a steep steep price.
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    Having been one of the first 180 owners dulls the empathy a bit but I still feel sorry for the 300 owners whose $500 device is now $250.
    I would pay 500 today... for a machine which didn't break every other week ( I'm on to Treo number 3).

Which raises the question. Is a company allowed to ship out a product knowing it is faulty? Not saying HS are doing this but I read somewhere that a UK electronics company did it knowingly to reduce Quality Control costs. They basically did a HS and replaced the machine when people sent them back. Hmmm...
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by nzmoko

I would pay 500 today... for a machine which didn't break every other week ( I'm on to Treo number 3).

Which raises the question. Is a company allowed to ship out a product knowing it is faulty? Not saying HS are doing this but I read somewhere that a UK electronics company did it knowingly to reduce Quality Control costs. They basically did a HS and replaced the machine when people sent them back. Hmmm...
    Needless to say, any regulation differs by country. There is no law here in the States that requires you to ship a perfect product. Litigation is designed to urge companies to produce quality the first time around.