1.    #1  
    Anyone else get disappointed watching the parade of offers for new customers while exisiting customers get jack squat.

I read the biggest problem in the cell phone industry is "churn," people switching back and forth between providers. I guess when there's little incentive to stay with your existing provider and lots of incentive to switch.

This new $250 rebate on the Treo 300 for new customers is tough to stomach having just laid down $500 as an existing customer.

Matt
    Sounds like sour grapes. That's the price we pay to be the firsst on the bolck with new toys.
    MRL-MO
  3.    #3  
    That doesn't make any sense. You could be an existing customer who buys your Treo months from now, you still can't get those discounts. So, it has nothing to do with when you buy it.

And just as a note, $250 will buy almost 80 pounds of grapes at current prices, so yes my grapes will probably be going sour.

Matt
    I don't think this is sour grapes at all!

As an existing customer their email system is hosed going from 2G to 3G service, and they don't seem overly concerned. I keep hearing that my problem was that I was a Sprint customer before I got my Treo.

A $200 rebate is sweet. I have 2 days left on my 14 day return policy, and I'm inclined to return and buy the cheaper phone from Amazon. This will require a new number, but maybe then my email will work!
    My point was not about the shelf life of the grapes.

It was that in nearly all situations the first units off the shelf are generally the most expensive and those with the patience to wait will generally pay a lower price. Take the auto industry for example. New models, new price. At the end of the model year there are incentives to reduce the cost. Same thing here.

My 2Cents...
    MRL-MO
    If I were you I'd return it and get the discount. Sprint just gave their stockholder report and although their sales were high, so was their customer turnover. I paid 500 for my Treo and after a year never plan on dealing with Sprint again.

Originally posted by sc2149
    I don't think this is sour grapes at all!

As an existing customer their email system is hosed going from 2G to 3G service, and they don't seem overly concerned. I keep hearing that my problem was that I was a Sprint customer before I got my Treo.

A $200 rebate is sweet. I have 2 days left on my 14 day return policy, and I'm inclined to return and buy the cheaper phone from Amazon. This will require a new number, but maybe then my email will work!
    As I said earlier.... Sour Grapes.
    MRL-MO
  8.    #8  
    I don't think it's sour grapes to want to be treated as a valuable customer.

I'm on day 3 with this thing now, still doesn't work. I'm effectively paying for two service plans, I can't even receive phone calls, and I paid twice the price that a new customer would.

That's just bad business.

Matt
    Listen, guys, before you start a food fight, there are only 120,000 Vision users -- not all of them Treo owners. In fact, Handspring reported only 44,000 Treo sales total in the quarter (that's all models). So my guess is there are probably about 30,000-35,000 Treo 300 users.

That's less than .5 percent of Sprint's subscribers! Let's face it, we are a pimple on their ***.

They've got to do something to attract new customers, and price is the only immediate way to do it.

OK, continue your food fight.
    Existing customers can get some equipment credit through retention. I called *2 after I got my treo but before my 14 day trial period was over and told them I was balking at the price but I loved the Treo and wanted to keep it. They went away for a couple of minutes and came back with a $150 credit. Call Claire and say cancel service to be transferred to retention. You have nothing to lose.
    However, using the auto industry, you don't see a 50% price cut 3 months after rollout...do you? If you did, people would be up in arms, guaranteed.

If everything worked as advertised from the get-go, I wouldn't have any problems paying $500 for the Treo. I was the new geek with the new toy with the new-fangled cool stuff. However, since it didn't work, I feel jipped now that less than 3 months after I bought it, it's now 1/2 price. What about all of the early adopters that pointed out the issues to Sprint? Basically, we were beta testers, and usually beta testers get some kind of discount (most of the time free...).

Just my $0.02. I would actually prefer we quit using blunt adjectives to describe people's opinions (sour grapes). Seems to be starting to many word/food fights on this board...

NCTreo300
    Price wars between sales channels are pretty common. You all paid what you considered to be an affordable price and now you have changed your minds? I dont think so - it is just the glimmer of an opportunity to get some of the money back.

In a more compassionate view of the world, you should be glad that more folks will be able to enjoy the technology and you can claim bragging rights for having made it possible by adopting early and seeing the trend before the later adopters who are less willing to take risks.
    Agree completely on your disappointment as an existing customer. I went to the local SPCS store today and asked the manager to pull up my existing account to see what kind of deal he could give me on the Treo. I have been with SPCS for 3 years with an average monthly bill of $100-$150. While he was pulling it up, I mentioned that Amazon was offering the Treo for $250 after rebates. He stops typing and says, "if you can get it for $250, get it." Guess I'll be ordering from Amazon.

Changing phone numbers is a hassle...but if that's the ONLY way to get Sprint's best deals, I guess it's worth it. I wonder how many of Sprint's "new" customers are actually existing customers who just let their current plan expire.

-FBG