Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I am using the nokia version.

Help me understand - did you have better luck with the non-nokia with an adapter? Did you try both?

Also - on the one touch answer - not clear to me how it is supposed to work but seems to be unstable.

Thanks
    Yes,
    I have used both versions and have much better luck with the non-nokia version.
    Did you enable the "Answer/End Emulation" feature on the freespeak? If yes, pressing the "phone button" on the freespeak should answer the call and pressing it again should end the call.
    For me the answer part is a little clumsy (see my post discription above) and the end part works just fine.

Greg
    Just received my Jabra FreeSpeak bluetooth headset (3-band 4-conductor jack version for Nokia 8800 series) from MobilePlanet.

Have encountered 3 problems.

Problem 1 - placing a call
    After enabling the Jabra headset answer/end emulation feature:
    1. If the call is placed from the Treo, the Jabra headset will not automatically become "active", and hence will not work.
    2. After placing a call from the Treo, if I press the Jabra headset "answer/end" button to make the headset "active", it will connect the call headset to the headset, but will also immediately terminate the call. Apparently pressing the "answer/end" button does 2 things: it makes the headset "active", as well as emulates the "answer/end" function and ends the active call.
    3. The only way I can place the call and use the Jabra headset is to disconnect the Jabra multi-adapter jack, press the "answer/end" button to make the headset "active", place the call from the Treo, and plug in the Jabra multi-adapter jack. But this is certainly not the proper way to do it.

Problem 2 - Treo numeric keypad:
    The Treo numeric key-pad does not work properly while the Jabra headset is in-use. I accessed my voicemail and tried to enter my PIN number, but the voicemail system keep saying the PIN is incorrect. No such problem when I removed the Jabra headset, or use the original Treo corded headset.

Problem 3 - echo
    This seemed to be resolved after I set the microphone level to "low", according to the Jabra manual.

Have paired the Jabra headset and multi-adapter many times (as thegman suggested in one of his posts), but the problems remain.

Receiving incoming calls works fine. When a call comes in, pressing the Jabra "answer/end" button will answer the call on the headset, and pressing the button again will end the call. The headset will automatically go into "inactive" mode a few seconds after the call ended, so there is no need to press the "answer/end" button again to inactivate the headset.

Some information on my Treo:
    1. In August, installed the HandSpring-supplied heaset beta update (PhoneHalLib.prc) to resolve the headset "hang-up on receive" and the Treo "continuous ring tone" problems.
    2. In October, installed the GPRS 1.1 updates (but did not re-install the headset beta update, as I thought it was included in the GPRS 1.1 update). GPRS 1.1 has been working fine.
    3. Have been running Ringo V3.0 and TreoPictureCallerID V0.35, which should not be the cause, as the problems have to do with placing calls and not receiving calls.

Would appreciate any advice, especially from
    thegman
    as your Jabra headsets are all working fine.

JSJSJS
    1. If the call is placed from the Treo, the Jabra headset will not automatically become "active", and hence will not work.

This is correct. It does not activate by itself.

2. After placing a call from the Treo, if I press the Jabra headset "answer/end" button to make the headset "active", it will connect the call headset to the headset, but will also immediately terminate the call. Apparently pressing the "answer/end" button does 2 things: it makes the headset "active", as well as emulates the "answer/end" function and ends the active call.

You have to activate the headset before initiating a phone call.

3. The only way I can place the call and use the Jabra headset is to disconnect the Jabra multi-adapter jack, press the "answer/end" button to make the headset "active", place the call from the Treo, and plug in the Jabra multi-adapter jack. But this is certainly not the proper way to do it.

You shouldn't need to do that. You must first press the button on the headset to activate the headset and than simply initiate the call from the treo, either from scrolling through the speed dial entries and pushing in the jog dial on the entry that you want to call or opening the flip and manually dialing a number or search the address book and push in on the jog dial when you get to the entry that you want to call.

Problem 2 - Treo numeric keypad:
    The Treo numeric key-pad does not work properly while the Jabra headset is in-use. I accessed my voicemail and tried to enter my PIN number, but the voicemail system keep saying the PIN is incorrect. No such problem when I removed the Jabra headset, or use the original Treo corded headset.

Hear is the problem that I had and this is because the tones your are sending to access your voice mail are doubling back on you (reverb echo sort of speak) so the voice mail is not properly interpreting the tones being sent.
    Thanks for your response, millerhifi.
    My comments as follows:

Problem 1:
    1. OK, but I still see that as a problem, because the original Treo corded headset will work automatically (the call is always placed from the Treo). If the Jabra is supposed to work like the original Treo headset (or any Nokia headset), then it should automatically activate the bluetooth headset. I also tried the Jabra with my Nokia phone, same problem.
    2 and 3. It won't work. If I activate the headset before placing the call, I will hear the other side ringing from the headset, but as soon as the other side picks up the call, the headset deactivates itself.
    Are you using the 3-band 4-conductor jack version, or the 2-band 3-conductor jack version with extra adapters?

Problem 2:
    This is certainly a problem, as there are many voice response numbers that requires input. Again, no such problem with the corded Treo headset.

I see all these as defects.
    Not sure whether it's HandSpring's problem or Jabra's problem.
    My feeling is probably both of them, so I've sent emails to both their support.

JSJSJS
    Problem 1:
    That's just the design of the freespeak. you need to make an active connection link between the adapter and headset.
    Maybe we'll see this feature in freespeak II (ha ha!)

2 and 3:
    You need to activate the headset before you even touch the treo. Once the headset turns on and is in active mode (1 flash every second on headset and adapter), than proceed with making a call.

As we speak I'm using the 3 conductor freespeak w/4 conductor adapter. ONLY because the Nokia version does not work w/ my treo270.

Problem 2:
    When you talk to someone, is everything sound okay. Is the calling party's voice feeding back on them? That is the problem that I had with the nokia version and would not allow me to access my voicemail - PIN was incorrect - this was caused by the feedback on receivers end reverbing and the PIN was doing a double tone sorta speak and wouldn't except the PIN input that I was using!

Call Jabra @ 800-327-2230 and ask for Melanie at ext. 874.
    She'll tell you that their seems to be an incompatibilty issue w/ treo 270's and they seem to work fine with 300's.
    I got a second email from HS support today and they still haven't answered my question based on what I originally asked. GO FIGURE!
    It looks like someone else had a problem with Ringo and the freespeak. Maybe this is the issue with problem 2 and 3?

check out csunracer's posts:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...k&pagenumber=3
    After re-pairing the headset a few times (don't know if it really helps), I am now able to place a call by pressing the "answer/end" button to make the headset active, then placing the call from the Treo.
    However, this does not work all the time.
    About 30% of the time, the headset will beep and become inactive when the other party picks up.
    In fact, it looks like if the spiral cable between the jack and the multi-adaptor is stretched, the active connection will break when the other party picks up.
    This is really bad, as the spiral cable is very short, and is always stretched when I place the call from the Treo.

Subsequently I re-installed the HandSpring headset beta fix, but it didn't make any difference.

I have 2 identical Jabra headsets, and they both have the same problem.
    By the way, these are 3-band 4-conductor versions for Nokia 8800/3300.
    Presume yours is the same.

I am really keen to hear whether "thegman" had this problem, as he has high praises for this headset.

As far as I'm concerned, the headsets do not work.
    If Jabra cannot solve the problem, I will return them.
    just a breif delay in answering calls, about 1 second. never disconnects the caller unless the battery in the headset or base is low. Outgoing calls NO problems at all.
    Christo

"it's not the quantity, but the quality"

There are NO Limits
    been using the nokia version of the freespeak i have the delay but it does answer after the delay and then when i end the call with the headset i have no problem.

fred
    fkpalm / christo1970,
    Are you folks using the 3-band 4-conductor version of the Jabra?
    Also, I assume you have enabled the "answer/end emulation" enhanced feature (ie press the headset "answer/end" button to answer and end calls)?
    I also have the 1-2 second delay, which is tolerable.

JSJSJS
    yes i enabled the answer/end and have the delay which after a while you get used to it. sometimes i find myself saying hello twice but i am getting used to the delay. i am using the nokia freespeak for the 3000-8000 series phones

fred
    me too! I tell people to hold on after the first click, then they dont think I hung up on them before they hang up. It seems to work. And the sound quality varies. Sometimes it's a bit crackly, other times perfect. I think it may have to do with other interference or weak battery level.
    It's the greatest thing since the color treo!
    Christo

"it's not the quantity, but the quality"

There are NO Limits
    Well, good for you that the Jabra works.
    As for me, receiving call is generally OK, though the call may get disconnected once in a while ... I suspect that's the Treo, as I have similar problems with the Treo corded headset.
    However, making call is not working in an acceptable fashion.
    As I said, first I press "answer/end" to make the headset active, then I place the call from the Treo. While most of the time it will work, sometimes (about 20% of the time), the headset will automatically inactivate itself when the other party picks up.
    20% is far too high an error rate to accept.
    Also, when the headset is on, you can't enter numeric input (such as voicemail and other tone-input voice response systems). I had to remove the jack, enter the numbers, and plug the jack in again ... that's rather ridiculous.

JSJSJS
    To those who own the Jabra Freespeak:

Can you use it as a bt microphone for the computer? Meaning, can you pair it with your PC and speak commands into it for gaming, or voice recognition?

Also, could you essentially use it as a bt headphone for the PC?
    Originally posted by LinJS
    Well, good for you that the Jabra works.
    As for me, receiving call is generally OK, though the call may get disconnected once in a while ... I suspect that's the Treo, as I have similar problems with the Treo corded headset.
    However, making call is not working in an acceptable fashion.
    As I said, first I press "answer/end" to make the headset active, then I place the call from the Treo. While most of the time it will work, sometimes (about 20% of the time), the headset will automatically inactivate itself when the other party picks up.
    20% is far too high an error rate to accept.
    Also, when the headset is on, you can't enter numeric input (such as voicemail and other tone-input voice response systems). I had to remove the jack, enter the numbers, and plug the jack in again ... that's rather ridiculous.

JSJSJS
    I've returned the 2 headsets.
    Heard from Jabra support that a new one may be available in January that will fix the problems.
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    Good, becasue I'm on my third as well !!! For $179, the sound quality absolutely sucks about 80% of the time. I've had only a handful of convcersations with it where both I and the person I was talking to didn't have to repeat just about everything twice.
    I just bought the correct Nokia model of the Freespeak, but I'm experiencing terrible echo (caller hears their voice back). Using it with a Treo 270.

I'll keep searching the board for a string with the solution to this problem, but if anyone can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
    HRB
    I had the same problem and never did resolve it. I've been talking to one of the senior engineers at Jabra and he is trying to help resolve it.
    The weird thing is that this occurs with the Nokia version of the freespeak which is what we should be using and not with the non-Nokia version and by using an adapter to go from a standard mini pin to a nokia 3 ring pin.

So I have been successfully using for quit some time now the freespeak for standard non blue tooth phones with an adapter like this:

http://www.seidioonline.com/store/vi...idcategory=277

and it works fine. Very weird and I'm also using a treo270.

Are you running the gprs upgrade?
    Last edited by millerhifi; 01/21/2003 at 12:57 AM.
    No, I'm on Cingular and can't afford to be w/o contacts and calendar, so can't risk frying my Treo by upgrading unofficially. I've heard the GPRS upgrade includes a fix for other (non-headset related) echo issues. Does it affect the Jabra echo issue too?

Your proposed solution is a bit too much for me. It's already cumbersome to have to use the adapter to begin with, but putting yet another plug in the middle is more than I'm willing to deal with.

You indicated that you are working with Jabra to find a solution. Does that mean a solution specific to your situation, or has Jabra indicated that this is a known issue when using the Freespeak on a 270? What does Handspring have to say about this? There must be hundreds of 270 owners out there using the Freespeak w/o echo problems, so maybe the problem is with our 270's. Perhaps they are defective in some way?

Also, I noticed that someone on the board, "thegman" I think, is using several 270's at his company with the Freespeak, and claims to have no echo problems. How can this be? Is he on T-Mobile or Cingular. GPRS or not? Or again, perhaps our 270's are defecitve?

Sorry for all the questions, to which you may not have answers. It's late in the evening, I'm just thinking out loud wondering how to fix this problem.

HRB
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast