1.    #1  
    Now that we have unlimited data, does anyone know how to download apps directly to the TREO (bypassing the desktop & the sync) ?? I think that would be very cool. I just did a wireless sync to Vindigo - and I must say that it was a great feeling !!!!
    Xiino browser allows you to download .prc files directly to your treo however most downloads are zipped files and you'll need a unzipping app to extract the .prc files. Check palmgear for some of the unzipping file apps for the palm there are a few.
    Snappermail comes with Ziplite which allows you to unzip mail attachments as well as files that reside or have been sync to your Treo.

Hope it helps.

The demo of Snappermail includes the app for free which doesn't expire after snappermail's demo date of trial ends.
    Now we just need a mobile version of PalmGear.com!
    Downloading direct to device is not practical at this time as few sites actually post PRC files. The reason for this is that most people use their PC to download files and also because the Pal powered industry has not created an installer standard which gets aound the need to selectively install files. Also it is often simply impractical to do OTA install when the application also has a desktop component.

For example, a typical installation of a game might be supplied as a zip file containing a readme, a grayscale version of the game, a color version of the game, a pdb database file with the high scores and a user guide in pdf format. You have to read the readme to figure out what to do and also sometimes read the user guide for ideas on how to use the software.

Ideally, I would like to see people using the PRC (one file containing a decompressor and install logic) packagers available for Palm OS now which create an installer just like on a pc. These could be downloaded and will detect the device parameters like color and OS to determine the version to install. With the new data plans from Sprint, the size is not that important. The installer file should self destruct upon install and remove itself from memory.

There is good money in downloadable ringtones and games etc. It is a simple matter to setup a Palmgear-like portal to also have OTA installable files in addition to ZIP/SIT.

If software has a desktop component, it makes more sense to go the traditional desktop install route.
  6.    #6  
    question: if one FTP's the .prc directly to the TREO - will the app work? or is there some installing mechanism that is on the desktop that is needed to "install" the .prc on the TREO?
    One other reason that OTA (over the air) Palm installation hasn't taken off is that wireless Palm usage is still a fraction (at least right now - sure to change tho) of the overall Palm ecosystem. Many many more folks need to install apps via traditional desktop sync method.
    http://www.palmgear.com/palmsized/index.html

or

http://www.palmgear.com/palmsized/software.html

Not entirely as "full" as the "full" version of the site, but you can get around...

NCTreo300
    Originally posted by millerhifi
    Xiino browser allows you to download .prc files directly to your treo however most downloads are zipped files and you'll need a unzipping app to extract the .prc files. Check palmgear for some of the unzipping file apps for the palm there are a few.
    Has anyone else had this problem? Every time I attempt a download, I get the "are you sure" message, I click "Yes", and I then get the Fatal Alert: SystemMgr.c, Link:154,Unimplemented error?

That damn line 154 keeps screwing me up!! Seriously, any help would be appreciated!

Craig
    "I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer."
  10.    #10  
    The palmgear link is helpful, but most of the programs can't be downloaded since "the application was not found in the database"

However, I've been using snappermail and been emailing myself the .prc files - which can then be installed OTA !!!!