View Poll Results: Which e-mail app are you using?

Voters
129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Aileron

5 3.88%
  • Basejet

9 6.98%
  • Eudora

44 34.11%
  • Gopherking

2 1.55%
  • Markspace

5 3.88%
  • SnapperMail

38 29.46%
  • Sprint BusinessConnection

23 17.83%
  • Other

10 7.75%
  • RiteMail

0 0%
  • TreoMail

8 6.20%
  • Inbox To Go

8 6.20%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Well, I've read the 4000 messages in the e-mail thread. Lets devote this thread to one word answers and vote. Which email program are you currently using?

If you are trying out more than one, you can select more than one app.
    "I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer."
    So in your opinion Treo Mail did not even make it to the shortlist!!!

I guess I will make do with the "Other" button.
  3.    #3  
    No, actually, I just didn't think of it. I also forgot to add "Ritemail". If the moderator is seeing this, please add those two to the list.
    "I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer."
    How about the beta version of Inbox to Go (Dataviz)?
    Added the 3..

I myself prefer SnapperMail because it is just so versatile, and the UI is revolutionary!
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    have you been able to figure out how to view email on a "per account" basis. Right now I have 3 email accounts that are retrieved, yet I can only view them in one screen (all accounts listed together).

This can be confusing -- I'd like to be able to view all email from "account 1", then all email from "account 2", etc...

All that being said -- still the best email app out there in my opinion.

-Serp
    Originally posted by Serpico
    have you been able to figure out how to view email on a "per account" basis. Right now I have 3 email accounts that are retrieved, yet I can only view them in one screen (all accounts listed together).

This can be confusing -- I'd like to be able to view all email from "account 1", then all email from "account 2", etc...

All that being said -- still the best email app out there in my opinion.

-Serp
    Serp,

Right now, there is no filtering with snapper mail and no folder support.

Next version.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Eudora supports filtering and folders.
    I've tried almost all the clients on that list... and BaseJet and SnapperMail have risen high above the rest. Eudora is pretty good, and since it's free has a nice appeal. But it seems that both BaseJet and SnapperMail will continue to improve and will succeed as top notch mail clients.

- SnapperMail has the great quick touch toggle between stylus/finger mode.
    - BaseJet has very versitile multiple select.
    - SnapperMail can partially download messages, BaseJet cannot.
    - BaseJet has sweet jog dial support. If you click fast with the jog dial it will page up or down, if you go more slowly it'll go one message at a time. Very nicely done.
    - BaseJet can "Edit Categories..." to create custom folders for storing mail, SnapperMail cannot.
    - SnapperMail displays your wireless connection, very nice. BaseJet does not.
    - SnapperMail can only access POP3, BaseJet can also access IMAP, Outlook, and others.
    - BaseJet can sync w/ your computer and get your mail that way, saving precious wireless data usage (of course this doesn't matter for all of us with unlimited data access from Sprint, woo hoo!)
    - BaseJet can add create address book entries from emails. Ooh, just realized SnapperMail can as well, it's a little more easilly interfaced in BaseJet though.
    - Attachment Support: BaseJet can do .doc, .pdf, .vcf, .txt, but can't do .jpg. SnapperMail does .jpg which is nice. Not sure about .doc and stuff. Don't think it can though.
    - BaseJet puts a nice icon showing when a message has attachments, SnapperMail doesn't.
    - Hmm... SnapperMail allows you to get the attachments that were not initially retreived... can you do this in BaseJet? Not sure. After further inspection, it appears that you cannot go back and retreive a partially downloaded attachment.
    - BaseJet can launch the web browser and finds URLs in emails.
    - BaseJet also finds phone numbers and can call them, or add them as contacts. SnapperMail cannot do these things.
    - BaseJet has a nice quick find feature to search by either subject or sender. SnapperMail does not.

After going over these points I think I've decided to go with BaseJet for now.

Also worth looking at is PaPi-Mail. PaPi-Mail seems like the only client I've found so far that can browse email on non-system folders on an IMAP server. I havn't quite gotten it to work exactly right yet, but I think it should work. This is a nice feature if you keep all your mail sorted and saved on your IMAP mail server.

Phew ok. Wrote more than I intended.

I've got to stop playing with my Treo and get some work done!

Have fun everyone,
    Josh
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    InBox To Go. Simple and it downloads Excel spreadsheets Only one account though.
    The most recent release of Basejet includes support for these graphic attachments: .jpg,.gif,.tif,.bmp,.png,.pcx - Snappermail only supports .jpg - with built in viewer - I've tried it out and it's cool!

Basejet has on-device polling, and on some devices SMS trigger sync. Snappermail, no.

Basejet uses Triple-DES encryption to protect your data throughout their products, Basejet Mail, Basejet Launcher, & Basejet Transporter - Snappermail transmits clear text.

Basejet allows quick inserts of name, phone, email, address from the Address Book, and also quick inserts of html tags & web text - Snappermail, no.

Basejet, I think, is the first mail client for Palm devices that support graphical versions of Smileys - and I think they were the first to have the 2-line view in list mode of emails - Snappermail, only in finger mode.

Basejet has auto completion/lookup of email addresses, either based on name, email, or company - Snappermail, no.

And best of all, Basejet is currently FREE! - don't have to pay for a Beta.

I think Basejet is the clear winner when it comes down to features.
    Well, I decided to try BaseJet after reading all the reviews. It last about 30 minutes on my Treo/PC before I deleted it.

Here's my issues with it:

1. I wanted to set it up for POP with SPCS email to see how it worked. I did NOT want to set it up for Outlook.. Basejet, however, had other ideas. It autoconfigured itself for Outlook, and there was NO way to disable it.

2. Configuring POP on the Treo apparently was meaningless, as the next sync erased the configuration. Not grand.

3. Resigning myself to an Outlook evaluation, I sent an email from work to home. It showed up on the work machine, and I waited for the BetaJet magic to occur. And waited. And waited. Nothing ever happened. So I went on the Treo and did a manual sync. It complained that the connection was dropped (5 syncs later, and I still never got a finished connection). It did, however, get an SMS message. Funny that it didn't sync when it got that, eh? A quick trip to the support area of Basejet's site revealed that it doesn't (yet) work with the Treo. And, with that, not being able to retrieve mail via push nor pull, out it went. I'm sticking with Eudora. The ONLY feature that Basejet had that I wanted (when all was said and done) was the hyperlinks it added to email addresses and phone numbers to auto email and dial. If Eudora adds those, it'll be perfect for me.
    Originally posted by JoeTampa
    Well, I decided to try BaseJet after reading all the reviews. It last about 30 minutes on my Treo/PC before I deleted it.
    Setting up standalone POP3/IMAP does not need the PC Launcher, so you can exit out of it and delete it from the Startup directory. Make all your settings through the device for POP3/IMAP and do a wireless sync. The current version, plus the version before that, does work with Treo300, only the SMS trigger sync does not work. Set the Device Sync Port in Options->Preferences->Other->Advanced to port 110. In your haste to dismiss Basejet, you may not have given it a fair chance. I use the on-device polling to check mail every 30 minutes, plus there is an option to Stay connected after a wireless sync. Works great for me. There are some minor bugs, but I know they will be fixed. Anyway, I haven't invested any money into the product, so I put up with the bugs.
    I deleted Basjet within minutes too. I was very disappointed. It seems that they designed the app around desktop syncing. No support for multiple accounts? puff.

Originally posted by tuance

Setting up standalone POP3/IMAP does not need the PC Launcher, so you can exit out of it and delete it from the Startup directory. Make all your settings through the device for POP3/IMAP and do a wireless sync. The current version, plus the version before that, does work with Treo300, only the SMS trigger sync does not work. Set the Device Sync Port in Options->Preferences->Other->Advanced to port 110. In your haste to dismiss Basejet, you may not have given it a fair chance. I use the on-device polling to check mail every 30 minutes, plus there is an option to Stay connected after a wireless sync. Works great for me. There are some minor bugs, but I know they will be fixed. Anyway, I haven't invested any money into the product, so I put up with the bugs.
    My life is in my Treo... Where is yours?
    No, I probably did not give it a fair shake, but it gave me enough grief without much relief that it eliminated itself from contention; at least this version did. I'd happily revisit it when more of the issues get worked out. I did not initially add that the "inbox" tab got corrupted somehow into unreadable characters and that it at one point locked up the Treo - the first app to do so - as I did not want to make it look like a body slam. But it was not just that one or two things did not work. Contrasting this with Eudora, setup was a breeze, it gets mail from my Exchange server (via POP3), Sprint PCS, and my home email quite nicely. Given that I do not need push capability, Eudora seems to fit my needs well.

One other thing I have never been comfortable with is corporate email being sent through a third party's server, but that's just me. Yes, I know that POP3 sends the traffic in the clear through several company's hands, but the store/forward part just tweaks me a little.
    I had those early concerns about store/forward and asked the support team at Basejet about it. They said that they don't store anything, it's just a transport mechanism to tunnel through firewalls. There is no storing, and all email is encrypted, from the launcher to the transporter and then onto the device. When it makes the trip the other way, it's encrypted on the device, then goes through the tranporter to the launcher and back into the email system of your choice. I think it's a very elegant design. The Basejet guys are pros at this kind of stuff. The initial sync, be it wireless, or hotsync exchanges these security keys. This is perfect for all those paranoid corporate heads, like myself.
    After evaluating many email clients for the Treo, I would also seriously suggest including Electric Pocket's Mailer (a new product with many Treo features) and the older One Touch Mail (bundled with the early Treos) in the poll.
    Who would have time enough to establish a comparison table, listing all the feature of each mail app. It would be easier to compare...
    Table should include :
    - Protocole (POP, IMAP ...)
    - Multiple account (yes/no)
    - Attachment supported (.gif / .jpg /.doc /.pdf /.prc ....)
    - Preview before download (yes/no)
    - And more....

Any contributor ?
    TreoBuddy
    TreoFrance , la première communauté francophone entièrement dédiée au Treo
    FYI, if you want to use basejet as a stand alone client, when you click on the download link. Cancel the download. You should see a page with a link to just download the prc.

It still only supports one pop account. Not having an imap account, I don't know if you can do one of each.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Originally posted by tuance

I am still having problems setting up Basejet to run as a standlone. I have read many posts here saying how good Basejet is, but I can't figure this out. I changed the Device Sync Port to 110 and I get this message when I do a Wireless Sync. "The device connected to the transporter but could not locate the launcher. Verify the launcher configuration and try again."

I have also changed in the Hot Sync custom settings for Basejet to do nothing when it comes to syncing.

If I get this working - will basejet leave a copy of the e-mail message on the server so I can retrieve the message with my desktop computer? As well, does Basejet download the whole message or only a bit of the message - I don't really want it to download large e-mails and take up all my KB usage on my plan?

I appreciate the help!
    Darren Greenspoon
    www.allstarsportscamp.ca
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast