View Poll Results: Which e-mail app are you using?

Voters
129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Aileron

5 3.88%
  • Basejet

9 6.98%
  • Eudora

44 34.11%
  • Gopherking

2 1.55%
  • Markspace

5 3.88%
  • SnapperMail

38 29.46%
  • Sprint BusinessConnection

23 17.83%
  • Other

10 7.75%
  • RiteMail

0 0%
  • TreoMail

8 6.20%
  • Inbox To Go

8 6.20%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    try setting the "firewall with no proxy" or if you have that checked, uncheck it. Worked for me.
    mhorts
    Where do you set the firewall to no proxy?
    Darren Greenspoon
    www.allstarsportscamp.ca
    Originally posted by dgreensp

I am still having problems setting up Basejet to run as a standlone. I have read many posts here saying how good Basejet is, but I can't figure this out. I changed the Device Sync Port to 110 and I get this message when I do a Wireless Sync. "The device connected to the transporter but could not locate the launcher. Verify the launcher configuration and try again."

I have also changed in the Hot Sync custom settings for Basejet to do nothing when it comes to syncing.

If I get this working - will basejet leave a copy of the e-mail message on the server so I can retrieve the message with my desktop computer? As well, does Basejet download the whole message or only a bit of the message - I don't really want it to download large e-mails and take up all my KB usage on my plan?

I appreciate the help!
    Delete all vestages of Basejet from PC and from your device. Be sure you do not have Launcher running and disable the HotSync conduit. Set up your preferences on the device and do a wireless sync - this will notify the Multi-Launcher service that Basejet hosts for standalone clients (for secure email transfers and on-the-fly attachment conversions). I think you still have old security keys that were exchanged when you HotSynced while Basejet Launcher and Conduit was active. You need to do a wireless sync as your initial Sync to establish a standalone mode. You can turn off attachment support. I think today, Basejet has a max of 64K per message and no way of changing truncation.
    Has anyone tried MultiMail Pro?
    Everything know seems to be working with Basejet except the fetch mail every x minutes feature. It isn't automatically fetching the mail and notifying me that mail has arrived. Any suggestions?
    Darren Greenspoon
    www.allstarsportscamp.ca
    One more question for y'all:

For BaseJet and Snappermail, once you pay up front (or get the free demo/beta version), is there a recurring fee on top of that? (TreoMail wants a yearly fee, and Sprint BC wants something like $5 per month.) I still haven't figured this part out yet.
    OK, Here is what I want in an email client.

I'm currently using PCS Business Connect, which via the client app or Blazer, leaves very much to be desired.

Basejet looks to be the client answer, but here is my problem with the launcher mechanism.

My Notebook is my primary PC, which is what my Treo syncs to. When I'm traveling, my notebook and my Treo come with me.

What I want to do is set up an unused PC in my office (which I'll call "office PC") to be the BaseJet Launcher. I want my Treo to have a sync relationship with my notebook, but not the office PC. I want the office PC to be used to forward email via Basejet Launcher to my Treo.

I pretty much want to run the launcher like PCS Business Connect, but with the rich email client of Basejet on the Treo.

Is that too much to ask for?

PG
    Last edited by TreoHappy; 10/31/2002 at 07:58 PM.
    Originally posted by TreoHappy
    What I want to do is set up an unused PC in my office (which I'll call "office PC") to be the BaseJet Launcher. I want my Treo to have a sync relationship with my notebook, but not the office PC. I want the office PC to be used to forward email via Basejet Launcher to my Treo.

I pretty much want to run the launcher like PCS Business Connect, but with the rich email client of Basejet on the Treo.

Is that too much to ask for?
    PG
    I think this is possible. Why don't you try this: For the spare PC at your office, install HotSync (Palm Desktop), install Basejet, disable all of the Conduits except Basejet (set all other Conduits to "Do Nothing" as the default). HotSync to exchange security keys on that PC. Do not install Basejet on your Laptop. Now you have established a mail connection with your office mail system and still have sync relationship with your Laptop.
    first, re: basejet on a different computer...unfortunately, basejet will not work that way. here's why: everytime basejet syncs using hotsync, it writes a new basejet.ini file on the PC you're syncing to. For me, I need to sync basejet via hotsync when I sync everything else, so after a sync it can't find the right launcher cause the .ini file has changed. See the basejet support page under the beta section. I posted my experiences there in working with basejet trying to get this very thing to work.

I use PCS biz conn again -- Here's why:
    their push email is faster and better than anyone's. No SMS, no weird alerts, no timed stuff. Just works. When it syncs on the timer, it gives the focus back to the app that had it before. (That drove me nuts with basejet.) It also marks as read/unread everything in my inbox to match my Outlook inbox exactly - that's importnat to me. Unread email is an indicator I use to follow up on something. If you work at a large company, you'll like that you can get non-contact corporate email addresses from the global directory. i like the fact that i can send attachments from a network folder too. The documentation is professional and useful. it's part of my phone bill, not an extra charge. Using it on a PC i don;t sync with is a great way to go. You can also share connections with others. The guts are there, hey SEVEN the UI needs work. UI is easier than architecture, please make something happen for us, like, well, the following wish list...

What would I most like to be changed about PCS biz conn? The UI. No rich text, clumsy four buttons on the bottom. scroll buttons should scroll a whole page, not one message. message fwd/back triangles impossible to touch with fingertips. no support for attachments. contact lookup is weird, just show me the synced contacts for gosh sakes. No "87/5" "total/unread" email count. wasted space on a new message screen on left side. unreliable saving of draft messages, they are sometimes lost whan another message comes in. the buttons are small and hard to tap with a fingertip. when sending the attachment button robs valuable real estate from the center of the screen. the to: and cc: don't show the whole story unless you click on them, even then hard to know who's getting it. poor support if any for accepting meeting notices and posting to calendarscrolling weird once in body of new message, can't use the hard buttons to escape from the body. UI is slow, not sure why. Don't put the send button on top of the reply all button on different screens -because the UI is slow, I at first sent a lot of blank messages to coworkers cause I thot i had missed the reply all, tapped it again, and in the mean time, the UI was processing my next tap on the undisplayed-yet message screen. poorly designed. No hot links in messages (rich text) for URLs or phone numbers, plain text only.

Whew. Well, I guess that was quite a chocolate-fueled vent. Here are my conclusions:

WINNER for Exchange server email is PCS Biz Connection. It's the most useful overall, but with the least desirable UI.

WINNER for ATTBI braodband email (which requires SSL security) the only game in town is Eudora, unfortunately so because the UI is so crappy here too. The configuration is detailed and wonderful though.

HONORABLE Mention for best UI overall is SnapperMail. Love the finger mode, colors, attachment support. But does not do SSL or Exchange so it's of no use to me. Will Lau the creator is great and dedicated to the treo community.

HONORABLE Mention runner up is basejet. Good UI, smart engineering, works with Exchange, unfortunately it must be used on the same PC you sync to, which for laptoppers like me is a bad deal. They also have a ways to go on some functionality bugs, but they are helpful and a good company it seems.

Tried most of the rest. Hope this is useful. Hope the dev team or product managers read this site once inb a while, it's a goldmine.
    mhorts
    Originally posted by mhorts
    first, re: basejet on a different computer...unfortunately, basejet will not work that way. here's why: everytime basejet syncs using hotsync, it writes a new basejet.ini file on the PC you're syncing to. For me, I need to sync basejet via hotsync when I sync everything else, so after a sync it can't find the right launcher cause the .ini file has changed. See the basejet support page under the beta section. I posted my experiences there in working with basejet trying to get this very thing to work.
    This is somewhat correct. You can't HotSync Basejet on both Desktop and Laptop. That is why I suggested not installing Basejet on the Laptop and not HotSyncing on the Laptop for Basejet. For mail, just do the wireless sync after the initial HotSync on the Desktop. That way, you can have an established link to your PC in the office for mail, while still having HotSync capability for everything else on the Laptop. I know of others that have done this configuration and it works.
    Strohm, that was pretty impressive.

I assume you eat dark chocolate because that was an SCR (Strong Cocoa Rant).

Nice job.
    For Treomail to tie for fourth, seems to indicate that Hand did not have their act together on this program.

Can someone familiar with the competition evaluate the Treo Mail 1.5 update and let me know how much improvement it has shown and whether it is still well behind what Eudora and Snappermail are offering.

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Can some one please help me out to the advantages of TreoMail? Why spend a $100 a year for service when I can purchase SnapperMail for $30 and use my SprintPCS address for free?

--Dave
    TreoMail 1.5 -- still has no good push solution, only polls for new messages. Looks like they now check for messages in the background, rather than giving the app the focus after a poll. That's a nice touch. Overall, getting and being alerted to new email is still my big gotta have so I'll (sigh) stick with BizConnection for the time being.

The main advantage of TreoMail, IMHO, is access to corporate email. If you are using POP or IMAP email, you're right, you would be kinda crazy to pay that much, unless of course (to be fair) it does something you need extremely well.
    mhorts
    Originally posted by Treobuddy
    Who would have time enough to establish a comparison table, listing all the feature of each mail app. It would be easier to compare...
    Table should include :
    - Protocole (POP, IMAP ...)
    - Multiple account (yes/no)
    - Attachment supported (.gif / .jpg /.doc /.pdf /.prc ....)
    - Preview before download (yes/no)
    - And more....

Any contributor ?
    While reading the "Best eMail program for Treo!" thread, I did just that (though I didn't cover previewing before downloading, as people didn't really talk about that in that thread).

Here's my table.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12