1.    #1  
    Has anyone successfully set up a method for keeping the business connection client alive?

I use a VPN connection at home to get my corp e-mail but the VPN tunnel disconnects too frequently to keep it up and running at home.

I've been thinking of running it on a machine at my office at work which is always on the network without VPN and so it takes care of that issue, but I also seem to have to re-connect the BC client occasionally and need some method of automating this process since I mostly work from home and the office machine is remote to me.

Any ideas appreciated. Scripts? Macros? etc?

Best,
    D.
    So as I understand it, you need to be able to remotely restart BizConn desktop at work? It seems as if you'd have to do it with PC Anywhere or something similar. I don't know, I've wanted to do the same thing, as I've had my work client go down (over the weekend) and I'm dead in the water.
  3.    #3  
    That's right.

I've been thinking that I need an app that can restart the client every hour or so but I imagine that the button push and subsequent password entry for my network might pose a problem.

I'm wondering if there is some great program out ther for a windows pc that'll accomplish this.

Best,
    Derek.
    Originally posted by derek985
    Has anyone successfully set up a method for keeping the business connection client alive?

I use a VPN connection at home to get my corp e-mail but the VPN tunnel disconnects too frequently to keep it up and running at home.

I've been thinking of running it on a machine at my office at work which is always on the network without VPN and so it takes care of that issue, but I also seem to have to re-connect the BC client occasionally and need some method of automating this process since I mostly work from home and the office machine is remote to me.

Any ideas appreciated. Scripts? Macros? etc?

Best,
    D.
    Having used BC since it was first released, I can offer two suggestions on how to re-connect the BC desktop client.

The first way, providing only the BC connection, is getting dropped on your desktop but there is still IP connectivity at the desktop is to use a product called GoToMyPC. It is a subscription based service that allows you to have total control over your desktop from any other internet connected PC. Basically an app runs on your desktop and you log into it via the GoToMyPC site. Therefore, if the BC desktop client goes down, you can log on using this way and reset the client.

The second way leverages the BC functionality. One of the cool features of BC is the ability to do peer-to-peer connection sharing. The way this works is that if you and I work for the same company and we're both SPCS subscribers running the BC software, you invite me to connection share. If I respond in the affirmative to your request, you can actually leave your office PC turned off. As long as mine is left on with the BC app running you can get to your email using my PC as a conduit. I, however, cannot access any of your data with the exception of a delegate-based or trusted connection share situation (which you would have to grant as well as the host PC would have to have a specific configuration).
    So I've been using these types of mail redirect programs for quite some time, and have always had to battle with the 'mother' PC, to keep it connected. My latest, and not really the most elegant, solution, is to actually sign and pay for (!) an account with GoToMyPC. Seems to work really well, and as long as the PC hasn't crashed, and my internet connection is up, I can peek onto it from any browser, restart my VPN, restart the Business Connection, which does seem to bomb out on its own from tim to time.
    Probably the same as PCAnywhere, but it works for me...
    heh - my last post sat, unsent, for a couple of hours, before I got to my PC, realized I hadn't sent the post, and I then sent it. hmm - seems very similar to the one above. My bad.
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Has anyone had any luck with remote connection using WinXP? I havent dabbled with it yet, but I would love a solution to this problem as well.

You would think the software would make sure it was connected, this is a business app after all. Has anyone contacted Sprint about this shortcoming yet?
    <b> "Is that a Treo in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?!?" </b>
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    By the way, what exactly is it that "disconnects"? When I check my internet connection is still alive, is it the BC client itself? If that is the case then its definitely a software shortcoming and I would think that Sprint could easily fix this in a patch or new version.
    <b> "Is that a Treo in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?!?" </b>
    Originally posted by enagel

Having used BC since it was first released, I can offer two suggestions on how to re-connect the BC desktop client.

The first way, providing only the BC connection, is getting dropped on your desktop but there is still IP connectivity at the desktop is to use a product called GoToMyPC. It is a subscription based service that allows you to have total control over your desktop from any other internet connected PC. Basically an app runs on your desktop and you log into it via the GoToMyPC site. Therefore, if the BC desktop client goes down, you can log on using this way and reset the client.

The second way leverages the BC functionality. One of the cool features of BC is the ability to do peer-to-peer connection sharing. The way this works is that if you and I work for the same company and we're both SPCS subscribers running the BC software, you invite me to connection share. If I respond in the affirmative to your request, you can actually leave your office PC turned off. As long as mine is left on with the BC app running you can get to your email using my PC as a conduit. I, however, cannot access any of your data with the exception of a delegate-based or trusted connection share situation (which you would have to grant as well as the host PC would have to have a specific configuration).
    Does GoToMyPC work from the Treo, with Blazer or Xiino? I wonder about the pro's and con's of it vs. Win-Hand.
    Originally posted by kattanm

Does GoToMyPC work from the Treo, with Blazer or Xiino? I wonder about the pro's and con's of it vs. Win-Hand.
    GoToMyPC would be used on a normal PC to reset the BC software on your office desktop. Currently, GoToMyPC is working on what they call PocketView which will allow control of a desktop but only from a Win CE or PocketPC device (no Palm as of yet).