1.    #1  
    I've been musing about what all you can eat data ('AYCED') implies. Here are a couple of thoughts...

I had been sparing in my use of email and web, not wanting to get used to using a lot then after the free intro period having passed, getting socked for it. Consequently, I only downloaded parts of selected emails and browsed very little. Now, with AYCED so cheap, I'll want to download all my emails, including attachments, and browse the web a lot. Already, Blazer is almost intolerably slow even just pulling data out of its cache.

Lack of memory expansion on the 300 may not be a big deal with AYCED. We can just store extra data on a server somewhere (doesn't Quickfile, from the folks who offer Quickword, offer that already?)

I can imagine some new applications that we're more likely to use with AYCED. For instance, something like Backup Buddy backing up to a server somewhere (with the application in ROM, so we could restore after a hard reset even while away from our computers). Something like what backup.com offers for PCs...

Overall, I see AYCED enabling me to be a lot more mobile, with less need to use my office computer.
    I wonder if the Sprint is going to see the same service problems AOL did when they went to flatrate pricing.
    It depends on how much extra capacity SPCS has in its system. If it was only running at 10-20% of full capacity to begin with, there should be no short-term effects of going to flat-rate pricing. I think AOL's mistake was that it was running closer to 60-70% of full capacity, IIRC.
    AOL and Sprint are two different beasts. Remember that Sprint recently admitted it only has 120,000 Vision users -- less than 1% of its 14M wireless customers!

They have plenty of pipe.

Remember, too, that among all the major wireless carriers (even internationally), data use averages less than 10 percent of total use. (And it's usually in the 1-5% range.)

That's not going to change anytime soon, especially in the States.
    I think this is a very interesting thread. Lets all talk about apps, or uses now that we have AYCED.

The first thing I did was set up SnapperMail to download the entire message, as opposed to only the text, or partial.

Certainly one of the first things I imagine people will do is utilize their SprintPCS e-mail addresses much more. It makes "push" all that much more important.

Come no folks, what will you do differently now that you have AYCED?
    "I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer."
    I tried playing with VNC or someother remote desktop software before on my Kyocera 6035, but it was horrible. Now that I have a color treo 300, and faster(hopefully) connection speed, AND unlimited data transfer, I think I'm going to try it again....

Anybody out there recommend a good Palm-based Remote Desktop Software?
    I know that you can shut off the phone portion automatically using TreoTools (I thinks so anyway). My question is how to shut off or silence alarms during certain time-frames. In other words, now that we have AYCED, I will use my sprintpcs email address more, but I don't want to be notified of a new message after say 10pm. Does anyone have an app that will silence the alarms, without shutting it off during certain hours?

Thanks!

Craig
    "I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer."
  8.    #8  
    AYCED would impact my choice of Treo wordprocessor. I've been using Wordsmith happily, but I might get Quickword because Snappermail supports Word attachments in that format, and because Quickfile also let's you access Word documents from your server using Quickword to read them on the Treo. I think that applications that tie in with or make use of data that is not on the handheld will have a big leg up on those that don't.
    What is Quickfile?

Geoffrey
  10.    #10  
    Actually, it's called Mobilefile. Sorry for the error. I haven't tried it yet- here's info...
    www.cesinc.com/mobilefile/index.html

Let's you read and write files to and from your remote PC, and converts MS Office files into their Quickoffice equivalents. Or that's how I understand it.